The crying about the OC thread.

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

osupsycho

MAXIMUM EFFORT!!!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla
What’s the criteria necessary to have called a “superb game” against the worst defense in the conference?

Inquiring minds would like to know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You are correct, I should have said a superbly called game from an OC perspective. We found the areas to attack TT best and took advantage of them. Yes TT has a lot of those areas but we did not do so last year when they had a bad defense or the year before with their worse defense.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
They happen when you have a patchwork OL that is not able to stop 4 and 5 star defensive players. Not sure how you can lay that at the feet of the OC, but you do you.
I believe more experienced OCs would find concept to work around patchwork OLs.

I don't hate Kacey Dunn, I just don't think he is experienced as an OC and that has been a theme for OCs ever since Monken left.
How many offenses did Monken coordinate before OSU? How plays had Monken called before OSU?

How many P5 offenses did Lincoln Riley coordinate before OU.

How many offense did Dabo Swinney coordinate before he became HC?

How many offenses did Tommy Rees coordinate before Norte Dame?

How many offenses did Tony Elliott coordinate before Clemson?

I could go on, but what’s the point? You clearly don’t have one.

OrangeFan69

LA Face with an Okla. booty.
A/V Subscriber
Apr 24, 2010
Los Angeles 90046
instagram.com
How many offenses did Monken coordinate before OSU? How plays had Monken called before OSU?

Cool comparison, How often are OU, Clemson in the College Football Playoff and winning their conference?

Brian Kelley has been to four different BCS Bowls Twice going taking Cincinnati (2008. 2009) to BCS bowls. He's taken Notre Dame to two BCS bowls (including a championship game and just missed the playoff last season.

Great points. It seems to show they have pretty good judgement in who they hire.

osupsycho

MAXIMUM EFFORT!!!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla
Cool comparison, How often are OU, Clemson in the College Football Playoff and winning their conference?

Brian Kelley has been to four different BCS Bowls Twice going taking Cincinnati (2008. 2009) to BCS bowls. He's taken Notre Dame to two BCS bowls (including a championship game and just missed the playoff last season.

Great points. It seems to show they have pretty good judgement in who they hire.
Well when it comes to hiring OCs I would say that Gundy has shown to be a pretty dang good judge based on his previous hires.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO

Running away from your previous comment?

“I also think if a team is serious about having a chance to win championships, they hire a proven Offensive Coordinator preferred from another P5 school, or at worse a G5 school.”

My examples prove your knucklehead theory wrong. If you can’t even see the massive flaw in your theory, what makes you think you know Dunn is not a good OC?

Just another fan that doesn’t know what he doesn’t know.

OrangeFan69

LA Face with an Okla. booty.
A/V Subscriber
Apr 24, 2010
Los Angeles 90046
instagram.com

“I also think if a team is serious about having a chance to win championships, they hire a proven Offensive Coordinator preferred from another P5 school, or at worse a G5 school.”

My examples prove your knucklehead theory wrong. If you can’t even see the massive flaw in your theory, what makes you think you know Dunn is not a good OC?

Sean Gleeson (previously OC at Princeton) left OSU for a job at Rutgers. They are possibly the worst Power5 job in America.
Mike Yurcich (previous OC at Shippensburg) left for a QB job at Ohio State. Yes, he's an OC at Texas for two more weeks, but that whole staff will be canned in two weeks. I would bet a paycheck he does not get a Texas or high job.
Trooper Taylor was a position coach that hasn't been an OC anywhere before or since.
Gunter Brewer was a position coach that hasn't been an OC anywhere before or since.

Now...
Larry Fedora was a proven OC at Florida; we started something. He went on to be a head coach
Dana Holgorsen was a proven OC at Houston, a small step below at Houston and we did well he went on to be a head coach
Todd Monken wasn't exactly a proven OC, but had worked at the NFL level and we did well. he went on to be a head coach.

Aside from my speculation about Mike Yurcich job security at Texas; these are all facts about who Mike Gundy has hired as Offensive Coordinator and how the team has fared.

Nov 16, 2013
tractor

The opportunity to read the posts of a self proclaimed football Einstein that really believes what they are saying is correct is fascinating and horrifying all at the same time

Oct 30, 2007

Just to play devil's advocate, here are the ages that each coach first became a coordinator:
Lincoln Riley - 27
Tommy Rees - 28
Todd Monken - 32
Tony Elliott - 36
Average age: 30.75

I would prefer to hire a proven OC whenever we have an opening, but I would settle with a young hotshot position coach if a good candidate was available. Hiring a 51 year old position coach that's been passed over for decades seems like a curious choice.

I hope that Dunn turns out to be an excellent OC, but the hire seems pretty underwhelming thus far.

Feb 6, 2007
Ardmore, Ok.
I believe more experienced OCs would find concept to work around patchwork OLs.

I don't hate Kacey Dunn, I just don't think he is experienced as an OC and that has been a theme for OCs ever since Monken left.
The game is still won in the trenches. At the very least, you have to be competitive in the trenches to allow an OC to scheme around inferior talent and/or experience in the OL. When you aren't even "in" the trench, oh well, it is apparent.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
Sean Gleeson (previously OC at Princeton) left OSU for a job at Rutgers. They are possibly the worst Power5 job in America.
Mike Yurcich (previous OC at Shippensburg) left for a QB job at Ohio State. Yes, he's an OC at Texas for two more weeks, but that whole staff will be canned in two weeks. I would bet a paycheck he does not get a Texas or high job.
Trooper Taylor was a position coach that hasn't been an OC anywhere before or since.
Gunter Brewer was a position coach that hasn't been an OC anywhere before or since.

Now...
Larry Fedora was a proven OC at Florida; we started something. He went on to be a head coach
Dana Holgorsen was a proven OC at Houston, a small step below at Houston and we did well he went on to be a head coach
Todd Monken wasn't exactly a proven OC, but had worked at the NFL level and we did well. he went on to be a head coach.

Aside from my speculation about Mike Yurcich job security at Texas; these are all facts about who Mike Gundy has hired as Offensive Coordinator and how the team has fared.

blah, blah, blah Has nothing to do with the statement you made - “I also think if a team is serious about having a chance to win championships, they hire a proven Offensive Coordinator preferred from another P5 school, or at worse a G5 school.”

Was OU serious?
Was Clemson serious?
Was Notre Dame serious?

You don't have to hire an experienced OC. It's been proven time and again. Just because inexperienced OC's have been hired and failed doesn't explain all the inexperienced OC's that have been hired and been WILDLY successful.

Dunn may prove to be great, or terrible. At worse, the jury is still out. This isn't a fair year to judge given COVID and all the injuries. But go ahead and bash. It's what all you haters do.

Nonetheless, you made a dumb comment and are just being a dolt now.

Nov 16, 2013
tractor
blah, blah, blah Has nothing to do with the statement you made - “I also think if a team is serious about having a chance to win championships, they hire a proven Offensive Coordinator preferred from another P5 school, or at worse a G5 school.”

Was OU serious?
Was Clemson serious?
Was Notre Dame serious?

You don't have to hire an experienced OC. It's been proven time and again. Just because inexperienced OC's have been hired and failed doesn't explain all the inexperienced OC's that have been hired and been WILDLY successful.

Dunn may prove to be great, or terrible. At worse, the jury is still out. This isn't a fair year to judge given COVID and all the injuries. But go ahead and bash. It's what all you haters do.

So you are saying Reilly wasn't a proven OC?

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO

Was OU serious?
Was Clemson serious?
Was Notre Dame serious?

The OP said we needed an experienced P5 OC. Riley was not an experienced P5 OC when hired by OU.

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
Would you call an OC that spent 5 years with a G5 school in with these total offense rankings proven?
2010 - 25th ranked.
2011 - 49th ranked
2012 - 57th ranked
2013 - 26th ranked
2014 - 5th ranked.

He had one good season as an OC at a G5 school, even then there were 2 G5 schools that were better. They got progressively worse every each year he was there until the last year.

I would not say that he was a "proven OC". I think Stoops saw that he had ton of potential after his pan flash season, and loved his TTU/Leach ties. However, to say he was "proven" with that resume would be a stretch.

Last edited:

Midnight Toker

Territorial Marshal
May 28, 2010
Would you call an OC that spent 5 years with a G5 school in with these total offense rankings proven?
2010 - 25th ranked.
2011 - 49th ranked
2012 - 57th ranked
2013 - 108th ranked
2014 - 5th ranked.

He had one good season as an OC at a G5 school, even then there were 2 G5 schools that were better. They got progressively worse every each year he was there until the last year.

I would not say that he was a "proven OC". I think Stoops saw that he had ton of potential after his pan flash season, and loved his TTU/Leach ties. However, to say he was "proven" with that resume would be a stretch.
Well to be fair lets have some accurate rankings to start, this is per game based teamrankings.com:

2010: 22nd
2011: 45th
2012: 50th
2013: 23rd
2014: 6th

Really kind of similar to how Grinch's defenses improved at wsu.

now the 4 years before for context:
2009: 60th
2008: 80th
2007: 65th
2006: 52nd

So this consistent improvement was a factor, i'm sure. I also think Stoops saw what he did with a 2 star qb in 2014 (carden), made him a top 2 passer in the country. He was 7th in 2013, and he was 32 in 2012. So a nicely improved guy, from 32 to 2nd in the country. Not bad for a 2 star. Also did good things with the previous qb, davis.

Stoops has said that he looked at the top offenses from 2014 and before and how they improved under their OC. he was this close to getting scott frost. dodged that bullet. he sucks in nebraska. Could have had spavital. Whew! avoided that one. or meachem! oh man. I think hiring Riley was a bigger move for OU than winning the 2000 championship.

Nov 16, 2013
tractor
2010 - 25th ranked.
2011 - 49th ranked
2012 - 57th ranked
2013 - 26th ranked
2014 - 5th ranked.

The fact remains that Reilly was out there and we hired some yahoo from Shippensburg State. I think that might tell us more about Gundy's selection process than we really want to admit. Its not just quarterbacks he whiffs on.

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
Well to be fair lets have some accurate rankings to start, this is per game based teamrankings.com:

2010: 22nd
2011: 45th
2012: 50th
2013: 23rd
2014: 6th

Really kind of similar to how Grinch's defenses improved at wsu.

now the 4 years before for context:
2009: 60th
2008: 80th
2007: 65th
2006: 52nd

So this consistent improvement was a factor, i'm sure. I also think Stoops saw what he did with a 2 star qb in 2014 (carden), made him a top 2 passer in the country. He was 7th in 2013, and he was 32 in 2012. So a nicely improved guy, from 32 to 2nd in the country. Not bad for a 2 star. Also did good things with the previous qb, davis.

Stoops has said that he looked at the top offenses from 2014 and before and how they improved under their OC. he was this close to getting scott frost. dodged that bullet. he sucks in nebraska. Could have had spavital. Whew! avoided that one. or meachem! oh man. I think hiring Riley was a bigger move for OU than winning the 2000 championship.
I slipped on 2013.... Think I put eastern Washington... Regardless

Don't get me wrong, this is not a knock on LR and his skills and abilities at all. This isn't saying he was the best candidate or didn't deserve it.

This is the University of Oklahoma. A college football blue blood. If you are saying that you are bringing in a "proven OC". Then it is someone that has done it at the highest level. Someone who has shown success against a P5 defense on a weekly basis. If you are going to say they are proven out of the G5, they better be at the top for years.

Honestly, I think it is much more of an accomplishment and testament to Bob Stoops that he saw the potential in LR and was willing take a chance on a guy that shows he is more than capable but hasn't proven it at the highest level.

TypicalGooner

Territorial Marshal
Oct 21, 2011
Norman Trailerpark
This all comes down to Gundy. He’s got no balls at all. He coaches scared. Even admitted to preferring to schedule cupcakes because it pads the win column.

You guys need a new HC. In the worst way.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
The fact remains that Reilly was out there and we hired some yahoo from Shippensburg State. I think that might tell us more about Gundy's selection process than we really want to admit. Its not just quarterbacks he whiffs on.
Yurcich was a great hire that didn't break the bank. That's why he received several HC offers, got a raise to go to tOSU, and got another raise to go to UT.

BTW, can't you and the other Gundy bashers learn how to spell R-I-L-E-Y?

Nov 16, 2013
tractor
Yurcich was a great hire that didn't break the bank. That's why he received several HC offers, got a raise to go to tOSU, and got another raise to go to UT.

BTW, can't you and the other Gundy bashers learn how to spell R-I-L-E-Y?
Yurich vs the bellybutton tat and you think Yurich was the correct hire? Loosen up your mullet perm, it may be the cause of your delusions