The Real Fall Camp 2019 Thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 27, 2018
Tulsa
www.tulsaworld.com
Feature on Tylan Wallace from Frank Bonner II...

While Wallace was establishing a strong resume for the Biletnikoff Award with stellar performances in front of thousands of fans every Saturday, he spent his weekdays performing well in the classroom and earned 2018 Academic All-Big 12 honors.

The key to winning both on the football field and in the classroom is time management, Wallace said. A typical day for Wallace, a junior sports management major, starts with his class schedule beginning at 8 a.m. ahead of football practice.

Oklahoma State has the second-most Academic All-Big 12 honors over the past four seasons behind Kansas State’s 106.

“One of the things that I’ve gotten better at as a head coach is just the well-rounded athlete and person,” Gundy said. “When you start, everything is athletically driven in football and win at all cost. Then as you age through your life you find out other things are important.”

Gundy has spent the past eight years stressing the concept of developing young men and he said the results are showing through his team’s academic record. Wallace learned at an early age not to put sports above his classwork.

“Academics come first before anything,” said Wallace, who’s from Fort Worth, Texas. “You’ve got to be able to have good grades to play on the field. It’s been like that since middle school, since high school. So I feel like that’s never really changed for me.”

RutherfordFan

Federal Marshal
Feb 5, 2008
Oklahoma City
42 TD's is average lol. 3rd most in school history.
Yeah umm my eyes told me he was average. Look I think he would have been a good QB with one more year. He had some good games. He had some bad games where he couldn't hit anyone. That's the reality. If you can't take it. it's not my fault.

What is it with people thinking Corndog was awesome. Look the kid was a solid player and wish he had one more year but Sanders will be one of the best QBs to every put on an OSU uniform. Watch. It will take him time but you wait in 2020 we are gonna be beastly.

RutherfordFan

Federal Marshal
Feb 5, 2008
Oklahoma City
Yards are not a good representation of skill with quarterbacks. 59% is not a good completion percentage. Texas’ receivers were great, but ours were better. I’m not saying Corn was the problem, but he certainly was a problem. That being said, he played fantastic against Texas, Boise, West Virginia, and OU. In those games he played like an all big 12 quarterback. It’s also true that he was flat out bad against KState, Tech, and TCU.
This^ exactly.

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Sanders will be one of the best QBs to every put on an OSU uniform. Watch. It will take him time but you wait in 2020 we are gonna be beastly.
I hope you're right, and think you probably will be, but right now he's not good enough to separate himself from a transfer from a Mountain West conference team.

Aug 16, 2012
That is an insane statement. Ehlinger is objectively better that Cornelius. Ehlinger himself had a far better season than Cornelius and wasn’t a heisman finalist.
Patently false and it is clear you have no idea what the word objective means. Go look at stats from last year and TC's were better in most despite playing in one less game.

Jul 9, 2011
Yankees Tavern, Carlos Texas
Corn was great at times, but also had some bad stretches as well. Corn played (passed) at a higher level than Ehlinger, especially when he was on, and he was not a bad runner either. Ehlinger was more consistent from what I saw, but I admit I only saw maybe 3 games he played.

Josephus33

Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Dec 31, 2014
Tulsa
And yet Corn’s numbers were comparable to Zac Robinson’s.
Explain/defend
Robinson completed 65% of his passes his Jr year. His drop off his senior year was due to a shoulder injury. I will say at times Corn played far better than Zac did. Corn's problem was sometimes he was great, and at times he was awful. It was maddening to watch. That's why I call him average.

Josephus33

Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Dec 31, 2014
Tulsa
Patently false and it is clear you have no idea what the word objective means. Go look at stats from last year and TC's were better in most despite playing in one less game.
Once again, yards are not a good metric to judge a good quarterback on. Ehlinger completed nearly 65% of his passes compared to Corn's 59%. Corn didn't even get invited to an NFL training camp. Seems pretty objective to me.

Jun 11, 2016
Oklahoma City
Yeah umm my eyes told me he was average. Look I think he would have been a good QB with one more year. He had some good games. He had some bad games where he couldn't hit anyone. That's the reality. If you can't take it. it's not my fault.

What is it with people thinking Corndog was awesome. Look the kid was a solid player and wish he had one more year but Sanders will be one of the best QBs to every put on an OSU uniform. Watch. It will take him time but you wait in 2020 we are gonna be beastly.
337 yards of total offense per game is.... again 3rd in school history. Sure he had bad games, but the dude strapped it on in the big ones. I think the reason I have so much respect for him is that he played hard every single game IMO.

Josephus33

Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Dec 31, 2014
Tulsa
Corn was great at times, but also had some bad stretches as well. Corn played (passed) at a higher level than Ehlinger, especially when he was on, and he was not a bad runner either. Ehlinger was more consistent from what I saw, but I admit I only saw maybe 3 games he played.
The consistency is a huge part of my reasoning. Corn had four games with better than 65% completion percentage, and three games in the 40's. It's hard to believe.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX

You said this about Daxx... Now I think we are screwed.

OSUMIKE17

Property of The Oklahoman and NewsOk.com
A/V Subscriber
Apr 11, 2009
Tulsa
View attachment 72398
Alan Bowman completed 69% of his passes by the way. Like I said, 7th best in the conference.
Wait, holy crap, wait. By the single stat you’re using (completion percentage), you’re saying that Cornelius was the 7th best QB in the league...when the very chart you pasted shows him to have the 6th best completion percentage?

Are you just making up an additional criteria that you aren’t sharing to list him lower?

Also...if only there was some sort of stat that took all of these individual stats and put them into a formula to create some sort of, I don’t know...Quarterback Rating?

Ugh, if only, right?! That surely would objectively tell us if he was truly the 7th best QB in the league last season!

6E77F3D0-F7E8-4D2C-B623-FAC7CF4578AF.jpeg

OSUMIKE17

Property of The Oklahoman and NewsOk.com
A/V Subscriber
Apr 11, 2009
Tulsa

Yes, we should definitely all use the fair and objective metric for evaluating QB performance known as...your eyes.

Why even have stats anymore? Let’s just put RutherfordFan on ESPN so he can grace us all with his ocular knowledge.

Aug 16, 2012
Once again, yards are not a good metric to judge a good quarterback on. Ehlinger completed nearly 65% of his passes compared to Corn's 59%. Corn didn't even get invited to an NFL training camp. Seems pretty objective to me.
That statement is 100% subjective. It is called an opinion. The third sentence is also a subjective criteria. You cherry-picked a stat to try and prove a point.

Regardless, if Ehlinger's claim to fame is he is better the TC, then why in the hell is he being touted for the Heisman?

Josephus33

Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Dec 31, 2014
Tulsa
Wait, holy crap, wait. By the single stat you’re using (completion percentage), you’re saying that Cornelius was the 7th best QB in the league...when the very chart you pasted shows him to have the 6th best completion percentage?

Are you just making up an additional criteria that you aren’t sharing to list him lower?

Also...if only there was some sort of stat that took all of these individual stats and put them into a formula to create some sort of, I don’t know...Quarterback Rating?

Ugh, if only, right?! That surely would objectively tell us if he was truly the 7th best QB in the league last season!

View attachment 72405
Alan Bowman wasn't listed in my chart because he only played 8 games. His rating was 150.1, so according to that metric he's the 6th best QB in the league. If that's your position I'll concede my argument.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
And yet Corn’s numbers were comparable to Zac Robinson’s.
Explain/defend
Robinson completed 65% of his passes his Jr year. His drop off his senior year was due to a shoulder injury. I will say at times Corn played far better than Zac did. Corn's problem was sometimes he was great, and at times he was awful. It was maddening to watch. That's why I call him average.
But the true question is was he average because of himself or because of the o-line play and receivers?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.