Time for BB coaching change is now!!

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Sep 23, 2018
Stillwater
That has to be one of the stupidest ideas yet. Why give up one almost certain McD All American and another nominee as well as another solid big man.? We have a bunch of freshmen. Four freshmen scored as many points in less time as four starters did last night. The seniors will be gone next year. The team is young, needs conditioning, will have some great new faces next year, Likekele hasn't totally recovered and here you are spouting off a bunch of half baked, senseless, short-sighted, harebrained, foolish plans to totally sink the ship. Go home and take a nap.
Some of these guys actually think we should fire our coach midway through a season, not even giving him a chance to develop the talent HE has brought in, and BEFORE his best recruiting class gets here (flushing one of the best players to ever sign for OSU), because any success we have next year will stunt the program for the next 5 or 6 years. I‘m sure we would have all the top named coaches lined up around GIA just waiting to get in if this were to happen.....I mean you can’t even make this stuff up!!

Oct 25, 2009
Twin Falls, ID
That has to be one of the stupidest ideas yet. Why give up one almost certain McD All American and another nominee as well as another solid big man.? We have a bunch of freshmen. Four freshmen scored as many points in less time as four starters did last night. The seniors will be gone next year. The team is young, needs conditioning, will have some great new faces next year, Likekele hasn't totally recovered and here you are spouting off a bunch of half baked, senseless, short-sighted, harebrained, foolish plans to totally sink the ship. Go home and take a nap.
Go back a page and look at the pictures of GIA. Thats why. Fans have lost interest. When the product produced aint worth the price and only the devoted hard core are buying, that justifies a major change of leadership.

Last nights game was the first one Ive not watched all year. And Im glad I didnt. Because it sounds like it was more of the same bad coaching Ive seen all year.

MustangPokeFan

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2005
Mustang, Ok
www.newshoesband.net
Go back a page and look at the pictures of GIA. Thats why. Fans have lost interest. When the product produced aint worth the price and only the devoted hard core are buying, that justifies a major change of leadership.

Last nights game was the first one I've not watched all year. And I'm glad I didn't. Because it sounds like it was more of the same bad coaching I've seen all year.
Actually you couldn't be more wrong. I don't believe in moral victories but Texas is just flat out better than we are. They got up on us almost 20 points and our guys played their hearts out getting back to within 6 points late in the game. Texas is just good. Every time we got close to catching them they would come down and sink 2-3 NBA range 3's and widen the gap. They had 4-5 guys that could shoot from long range. I was sitting in floor seats with an up close view and our guys wanted to win and they were laying it all on the line. I love our starting 5 and how hard they've played since they've been here. They are great young men. But the truth is not one of them aside from possibly McGriff would be a starter on any other Big 12 Team. Possibly Likelele but he still isn't himself. How is that Boynton's fault? He didn't recruit them, he inherited them. The ones he did recruit, particularly the Boone twins, Avery Johnson and Chris Harris and going to be stars. The talent is there, they just need the experience. They need as much playing time this year as possible to be ready to welcome the Wonderkind kids when they get here next year and help them acclimate. Heck, I even thought Roessink showed improvement and extreme effort last night. The future is bright, it just isn't now. If you want to enjoy next year to the fullest, watch these true freshmen this year as they progress toward what you're going to see on the court next year. If we can't compete at a high level next year with what we'll be putting on the court then we can discuss if it's Boynton's fault. The fact is you could take any other coach in the Big 12 and give them our seniors and they aren't going to win many if any more games than they are with Coach Boynton. Accept it and look forward to the future!

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
In the Boondocks in Creek County, Oklahoma

Last nights game was the first one Ive not watched all year. And Im glad I didnt. Because it sounds like it was more of the same bad coaching Ive seen all year.
Are you dense? I took those pictures. I don’t need to go back and look at them. Fans did not lose interest because of the way GIA looks. GIA looks that way because our basketball program lost its way a long time before Boynton came on board. He is trying to get it back on track. Judge him by the freshmen this year and the incoming class. Those are the ones that he has truly recruited.

Jun 9, 2008
The Water
No they're not. They aren't even close to good enough to claim a moral victory because we got to within 6 of them at home, but then lost by double digits. What a joke. Shows how freaking low expectations have sunk in basketball.
Texas isn’t gonna win the Big 12, but they are athletic and talented. Look at their resume no bad loses. At this point nobody really knows if Texas is good or bad.

Nov 14, 2010
It was a really good sized crowd. Is be shocked if it was under 6k actual.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
Agreed

I thought it was in the 6000-7000 range

And, the crowd really tried to get into it, but every time we started getting excited Texas squashed it with a bucket

It won't take much to get OSU fans excited about basketball again

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Lack of talent? McGriff, Likele, Anderson and Harris Jr are all 4 stars. I just want to see the Eddie Sutton half-court philosophy, take bad shots, have a seat on the bench. Jumpers not falling, run plays to get guys to the basket and score an easy 2.
Right? Almost like you want to see some basic coaching.
I see sets being called by him, I saw him and other coaches talking to players in timeouts. Coaching is happening.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

MustangPokeFan

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2005
Mustang, Ok
www.newshoesband.net
Texas isn’t gonna win the Big 12, but they are athletic and talented. Look at their resume no bad loses. At this point nobody really knows if Texas is good or bad.
I sat and watched them at close range, my own eyes tell me they are good. Not great, but really good and definitely far more athletic. They'll be a tough out by March Madness!

MustangPokeFan

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2005
Mustang, Ok
www.newshoesband.net
No they're not. They aren't even close to good enough to claim a moral victory because we got to within 6 of them at home, but then lost by double digits. What a joke. Shows how freaking low expectations have sunk in basketball.
Acknowledging reality and having low expectations are two different things. Wishing that our wrestling team were better than Iowa or Penn State this year isn't reality and understanding and admitting that doesn't make my expectations low. Realizing that we have the #1 recruiting class coming in next year and the likelihood that we're about to go on a 3-4 year run of title contention and dominance in wrestling is acknowledging reality as well and I EXPECT that we'll be really good. I'll be disappointed if we're not.

Expecting our current basketball team to be better than they are is just entitled tantrum throwing. Cheer for them, hope they overachieve and give max effort and applaud them when they do. They did that against Texas and came up short against a better team. Then enjoy the development of the young talent we do have this year and look forward to next year when better players arrive. It's not rocket science and it's not low expectations. It's realizing that no matter how much you might cry and stomp your feet, this current team can't be more than what they are. Climb down from the ledge and enjoy the ride, we're about to get a lot better!

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2011
Perry, OK
Yes Texas is not good...i have no idea how that guy thinks that. Now the team coming in tomorrow...is good...no they are great!

Oct 7, 2015
St. Elmo, CO
What good are high school All-Americans if you can't coach them?

This is no longer high school. This is a top division with many, many top coaches that also have very good, former high school players.
So, just because he's 5 star doesn't mean he's going to continue to grow into that 1% of players that go to the NBA.
I just have not see enough out of Coach Boynton to prove that he can develop high school players into NBA players.
I'm not calling for his head at the this point, but I am looking around the tool shed for that axe.

Aug 7, 2006
Completely whiffing on the 2017 class and then following that up with partially whiffing on the 2018 class is really hurting us right now. It's not good, obviously, but the freshmen look like they'll be capable of at least being solid contributors in the BIG 12.

Oct 30, 2007
National signee rankings under Coach Boynton:
Kentravious Jones - #357
Zack Dawson - #125
Isaac Likekely - #156
Yor Anei - #267
Duncan Demuth - #330
Maurice Calloo - #340
Marcus Watson - #88
Avery Anderson - #122
Chris Harris - #128
Kalib Boone - #139
Keylan Boone - #375
Cade Cunningham - #2
Rondel Walker - #92
Montreal Pena - #333
Average signee ranking: #204

I'm not going to list all of the high school signees under Coach Ford, but our average ranking during that era was #147.

I'm tired of hearing the "lack of talent" excuse. There are only 3 players on the roster that Coach Boynton didn't recruit. They're all starting, and they're just as highly rated as the average player he's brought in. Our current coaching staff should shoulder the majority of the blame if our talent level isn't where it needs to be.

Everyone talks about how great of a recruiter Coach Boynton is, but much of that is centered around Cade Cunningham. CC was a big time commit, but he's an anomaly since we hired his brother to get him. I think it's fair to ask the question of how good of a recruiter HCMB really is, especially considering all of the defections.

/Rant. I support Coach Boynton and his program, but I'm just frustrated and worried about the future. Go Pokes!