1. You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Travis Ford will be on the Tulsa SA at 1:05

Discussion in 'OSU Sports Forum' started by bacowboy, Dec 30, 2011.

1. bacowboy

bacowboy Territorial Marshal

If anyone wants to listen.

2. H2Orange

H2Orange Sitting on the Group W bench A/V Subscriber

fify

3. SanditeCowboy

SanditeCowboy Sheriff

I missed what did he say?

4. bacowboy

bacowboy Territorial Marshal

I missed it too.

5. stonewallpoke

stonewallpoke Demon Brigade A/V Subscriber

None of you keyboard coaches would have the nerve to call in and tell him jack squat. I'd love to hear you try, too.

I don't think he's doing nearly a good enough job for his pay scale and the talent level he's got at OSU right now. He'd better pick it up quick or he might be out the door no matter what his buyout is. But seriously: call in and tell him how to coach? Go for it, man.

6. SanditeCowboy

SanditeCowboy Sheriff

has he been on?

7. HolyGuacamole

HolyGuacamole Guacamole Eater Staff A/V Subscriber

I heard most of it and I'll summarize what I can remember. It was just an interview, and they didn't take phone calls.

* We're young, blah, blah, blah. He gave some stat that something like 60% of the game against SMU we had 4 freshmen on the court.

* He thinks we've played the toughest nonconference schedule in the Big 12. He said that they hoped they'd be able to win a few more than they have, but that this schedule was put together to prepare them for the rugged Big 12 schedule.

* He really likes this team. He said he thinks that if they can get a few things adjusted and "start to click" that they'll "hit their stride".

* When asked about discontent with the team after the 2 departures, he said there was none, and he hammered that point home multiple times with "abosolutely none." He said Virginia Tech also has had people leave and that several other schools have had players leave and said that it's just part of life and that people leave jobs and kids leave teams, etc. (he gave a few other analogies)

* On Nash, he thinks he's improving, etc. and that he's going to be really good. He said that he thinks Nash would have been a much better player at this point if he had more veterans to help take some of the spotlight off of him early on. He said it was kind of a disadvantage for Nash that he was thrown into the fire as the go to guy from day 1 on campus.

* He also mentioned that the Virginia Tech game was FREE to the public and hoped that we'd have a good crowd. He said with the students out on break and a lot of fans in Arizona, he hoped everybody in the area could make it and yell loud.

He said some other things but those were a few of the highlights that I remember.

8. drbwh

drbwh Territorial Marshal

i didn't bother listening because this is all i would have heard.

PistolChad likes this.
  9. Tulsagigapan

Tulsagigapan Cowboy

Trust me.. I have no spotlight on him. I think he is fine.

10. HolyGuacamole

I don't mind listening to him. I'm curious to know his thoughts, and his thoughts about getting this team turned around.

But I do get sick and tired of hearing for 2 straight years about how young we are. It's okay for that to be an excuse for 1 year, but not 2. Especially when nearly every other school in the country is also dealing with freshmen that they have to depend on.

11. orangepower317

orangepower317 Sheriff

Sounds a lot like a guy who enjoys his 2 million dollar paycheck.

Jimmy McCown and cowboyethics344 like this.
  12. Barnabas

Barnabas Deputy

I would be content too if I was getting paid $100,000 per win. Ford is basically guaranteed $20,000,000 over ten years regardless of his results. I suspect that kind of $ makes for some pretty stong contentment. :huh:

[​IMG]

13. ryerye

ryerye Cowboy

I listened to the interview and you could tell TF wanted to make sure EVERYBODY know how young we are. Didn't hear a lot of confidence in his voice when talking about the upcoming conference play. We need a PG plain and simple and some form of offense besides the 3 man weave would be nice as well.

14. SanditeCowboy

SanditeCowboy Sheriff

Thanks for the recap. I intended to listen but wasn't able to.

15. Cimarron

Cimarron It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.

Kansas, Baylor and OSU have all played tough schedules. The rest of them not so much.

Oklahoma for example, sure they're sitting there at 9-2 but they've only played one team ranked in the top 50 by Sagarin and they lost that game.

Missouri, Kansas State, Baylor and Kansas are the four best teams in the Big 12. After that it appears to be up for grabs.

Texas 9-3 SOS 267
    OU 9-2 SOS 262
    ISU 9-3 SOS 225
    Texas A&M 8-3 SOS 344
    Texas Tech 6-5 SOS 288

OSU 6-5 SOS 37

No one outside of the top four teams in the conference has beaten anyone ranked in the top 50.

16. HolyGuacamole

I realize your post is poking fun at Ford's salary and long contract...

But just to make sure everybody that read my original post is clear, Ford was talking about the team. He said the team is getting along good and seem to have a good chemistry with one another.

Whether Ford is content with cashing his paycheck is another story. But I do have to appluad our posters for once again turning a basketball thread, with many, many different points on which to discuss (none involving salary or Coach Ford's contract) to immediately attempt to turn this into a Ford contract/salary discussion.

SiggyPoke and snuffy like this.
  17. H2Orange

H2Orange Sitting on the Group W bench A/V Subscriber

Sorry, I forgot something.....:rolleyes:.

18. Cimarron

Are they anything like armchair QBs?

It always gets me to hear some drunk yelling out plays from the cheap seats.... Like they have the first damn clue! :)

stonewallpoke and EnviroBandit like this.
  19. Colt 45

Colt 45 Deputy

I am not making excuses for Ford because I do believe he may need to look at bringing in a more experienced assistant who really knows how to coach during the game like Eddie had most of his career, it seems that Fords assistants are more recruitors than pure coaches, that being said we are a very young team that lost a veteran front line from last year, Moses, Pilgrim, and Williams, say what you want about those guys but they could compete physically in the post against any team in the nation, this year we have no scoring, experience or physical presence in the post, to me this is the biggest difference from last year, also we don't have anyone who can shoot consistently, Ford needs to find a physical post player and three point shooter in the spring at all costs.

snuffy likes this.
  20. Cimarron

I like Jurick. Just too bad Ford doesn't get him for four years. If that guy can learn to go to the basket he can really help this team I think.