Turner Turnpike Changes

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
https://www.tulsaworld.com/news/sta...cle_0d303e79-927e-5a03-b4eb-5ae1d1fd9801.html

Guess the old location's outdated, unsafe & can't handle semi truck volumes.

One of my first thoughts here is that if people now have to go through an additional toll station, in either direction, they should move the toll station. I honestly don't remember where the toll stations are in relation to the new east/west service areas, fwiw.

I do question their safety concerns here, however. The Kansas Turnpikes have these centrally located service areas & have for years, serving both directions of the roadway & I don't recall hearing about a bunch of wrecks caused by merging traffic, nor do I recall hearing about it being a problem on the Turner Turnpike.

I get what their saying with regard to increased Semi Truck parking, but how in the world can they cite the fact that Semis are parked along the ramps? It's illegal & shouldn't be allowed, so where's the enforcement?

May 31, 2007
Edmond, OK
I drive through there almost daily and have off and on for 20 years, save for a few years I lived out of state. I’ve never seen what was described in the article, i.e. semis parked on the on or off ramps. What’s interesting is that there was a westbound only McD’s / Phillips 66 at the Wellston stop that went out of business because of low volume. I think up until that Stroud was barely getting by and only survived because it became the only option in that stretch. Interesting that they now think two of those setups can be supported.

May 31, 2007
Edmond, OK
https://www.tulsaworld.com/news/sta...cle_0d303e79-927e-5a03-b4eb-5ae1d1fd9801.html

Guess the old location's outdated, unsafe & can't handle semi truck volumes.

One of my first thoughts here is that if people now have to go through an additional toll station, in either direction, they should move the toll station. I honestly don't remember where the toll stations are in relation to the new east/west service areas, fwiw.

I do question their safety concerns here, however. The Kansas Turnpikes have these centrally located service areas & have for years, serving both directions of the roadway & I don't recall hearing about a bunch of wrecks caused by merging traffic, nor do I recall hearing about it being a problem on the Turner Turnpike.

I get what their saying with regard to increased Semi Truck parking, but how in the world can they cite the fact that Semis are parked along the ramps? It's illegal & shouldn't be allowed, so where's the enforcement?
There’s only one toll station that’s not an exit in that stretch and it’s east of Stroud. So both of these setups will be west of that station.

I should also add that I’ve never seen a wreck near that Stroud McDs. I’m sure it’s happened, but I’m skeptical that the issue is as stated. I think they are framing it that way to cut off the complaining that’s sure to come as this was the only location that you could change directions without exiting. So there’s a loss of convenience for sure.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
I drive through there almost daily and have off and on for 20 years, save for a few years I lived out of state. I’ve never seen what was described in the article, i.e. semis parked on the on or off ramps. What’s interesting is that there was a westbound only McD’s / Phillips 66 at the Wellston stop that went out of business because of low volume. I think up until that Stroud was barely getting by and only survived because it became the only option in that stretch. Interesting that they now think two of those setups can be supported.
Late at night is when you're usually gonna see the semi lots fill up & I don't doubt their numbers. When I traveled the state from corner to corner in a semi, the lots are full at truck stops all over the state.

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
They need to do away with all of the cash toll booths it’s not 1996 anymore. Send an invoice to the tag holder. They have this all over the state but still have the cash booths as well.

Make the entire hwy from OKC to Tulsa 3 lane.

Restrict semis from left lane occupancy

oks10

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2007
Yukon, OK
They need to do away with all of the cash toll booths it’s not 1996 anymore. Send an invoice to the tag holder. They have this all over the state but still have the cash booths as well.

Make the entire hwy from OKC to Tulsa 3 lane.

Restrict semis from left lane occupancy
If I recall, they were working on boothless toll lanes at off ramps recently where it would do just this. I remember seeing articles and news stories about it but I don't know where it ever went. They basically were going to be open off ramps with with cameras/sensors and if you had a pikepass acct then it'd charge that, otherwise it'd send a bill to the tag owner.

May 21, 2007
Tulsa, OK
I find the eastbound merge dangerous. This semis are going 45mph when they merge.
I certainly don't disagree with any of the opinions above but I always felt this was getting more and more dangerous especially when they started closing the other rest stops and since they now might increase MPH to 80 which means people will be driving 85 -95 MPH.

Also, people without a pike pass were able to drive from OKC to mid-point McDonalds and back to OKC without paying a toll.

Traveling on the new 6-lane stretch from Tulsa to Bristow just shows me how much traffic (especially truck traffic) is on the Turner these days.

It needs to be 6-lanes the whole way from Tulsa to OKC which would improve the flow and safety immensely and i think that we will get there eventually.

New Rule on the 6 lane part:

ANY VEHICLE WITH MORE THAN 2 AXLES CANNOT BE IN THE LEFT LANE UNLESS EMERGENCY.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
I certainly don't disagree with any of the opinions above but I always felt this was getting more and more dangerous especially when they started closing the other rest stops and since they now might increase MPH to 80 which means people will be driving 85 -95 MPH.

Also, people without a pike pass were able to drive from OKC to mid-point McDonalds and back to OKC without paying a toll.

Traveling on the new 6-lane stretch from Tulsa to Bristow just shows me how much traffic (especially truck traffic) is on the Turner these days.

It needs to be 6-lanes the whole way from Tulsa to OKC which would improve the flow and safety immensely and i think that we will get there eventually.

New Rule on the 6 lane part:

ANY VEHICLE WITH MORE THAN 2 AXLES CANNOT BE IN THE LEFT LANE UNLESS EMERGENCY.
I guess I'd be curious as to how the current setup compares to those on the KTA. Seems like there could be safety changes made cheaper than creating 2 brand new locations, but maybe not, idk.

May 21, 2007
Tulsa, OK
Which will be difficult when you have a left exit for these... ;)

We've got a left lane passing only law now don't we?
I think the article was a little off. I think they want to remove the curve and both of the newer GAS/FOOD will be on the right side when complete. I had to look at the article and then the map to figure out what they were "trying" to say.

May 21, 2007
Tulsa, OK
I guess I'd be curious as to how the current setup compares to those on the KTA. Seems like there could be safety changes made cheaper than creating 2 brand new locations, but maybe not, idk.
Yea, good question. I guess they are pretty outdated factoring in the increase in traffic, road design, etc. Probably better to start from scratch and build for the future.

oks10

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2007
Yukon, OK
Haven't driven the Oklahoma toll roads in a few years, but I can't believe they still have toll booth attendants. Doesn't seem cost effective at all.
I'm sure it's not, but if you take away a cash option then you'll have all the old people get cranky. Honestly, the only reason I think would justify attendants some is if you're travelling for business and are needing the receipt for expenses. I don't get why more people don't just get pikepasses though. It literally costs you nothing to have outside of the preload. Some people are paranoid about being "watched" though and don't want that "tracker" on their vehicle... (All the while keeping that other tracker in their pocket everywhere they go...)

May 21, 2007
Tulsa, OK
I don't get why more people don't just get pikepasses though. It literally costs you nothing to have outside of the preload. Some people are paranoid about being "watched" though and don't want that "tracker" on their vehicle... (All the while keeping that other tracker in their pocket everywhere they go...)
Hahaha... its the same people who whip out their check books and starts writing it once the cashier gets 'completely' done scanning all of their groceries.

oks10

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2007
Yukon, OK
Hahaha... its the same people who whip out their check books and starts writing it once the cashier gets 'completely' done scanning all of their groceries.
Don't you have to have a credit card to get a pike pass? Some people don't qualify for one.
Pretty sure you can use a debit card too. How many people are honestly driving a car on the turnpike who don't have a checking acct?...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Jul 20, 2018
Pretty sure you can use a debit card too. How many people are honestly driving a car on the turnpike who don't have a checking acct?...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
I know a lot of people who don't have a checking account. They work paycheck to paycheck and have poor credit.

oks10

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2007
Yukon, OK
I know a lot of people who don't have a checking account. They work paycheck to paycheck and have poor credit.
Neither of which stops you from being able to open a checking acct... I've had a checking acct since I was 16 and you don't get much more paycheck to paycheck and poor credit than that... Even that aside, there's no reason we couldn't get rid of the manned booths and switch to a system that just mails you the bill.