1. You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Upper Deck

Discussion in 'OSU Sports Forum' started by Rack, Apr 8, 2012.

1. OSUndefeated

OSUndefeated Wrangler

I love BPS, but how is it unlike any other big football stadium in a small college town? I guess ever stadium is unique, but would adding 20,000 seats take away the specialty of it? I guess I'm just not following your logic.
  2. PokeLady211

PokeLady211 Wrangler

The stadium already holds more people than live in the city of stillwater, right? I guess im just afriad that if we add another 20k (which would be great for our fan base) that we will lose whats specail about BPS.

I guess it all is going to come with winning football games anyways..but look at GIA. They added the upper part when we were winning and as soon as we stopped winning we look like a big eye sore on tv :(
  3. Busterz

Busterz Cowboy

I agree you have to plan ahead and be thinking about future needs but I don't think anyone is going to do anything about it until the demand is proven. Especially with other needs on the table. Although I could see something like this jumping to the head of the line when it could be revenue positive. Most of the projects on the table are not going to generate revenue.
  4. OrangeForever

A/V Subscriber OrangeForever I'm a GREAT guy, by the way.

In all fairness, a lot of college football stadiums have capacities higher than the cities they're located in.
  5. OSU79

A/V Subscriber OSU79 Wrangler

Just because there is no 'waiting list' doesn't mean there is not a demand - it means there is not a demand at today's price points. I believe the Wild West Zone has been virtually sold out the past couple of years, and the price goes up if you want season tickets elsewhere.

Four years ago I bought my first season tickets since I graduated, and the Wild West Zone 4-pack was a major factor (as was the 'premium game'). Two years later I moved to the lowest-priced donor section. This year we will increase from 4 seats to 6 (& maybe 8!), and may move again to even higher priced seats - not because I'm wealthy, but because we have enjoyed the experience so much we are moving more of our entertainment dollars into OSU football and away from other things.

I say you build the upper deck as soon as it's any where near financially possible. Sell those seats 1) as discount season tickets, $30-40/game average, and 2) as cheap walk-up and/or single-game tickets, $15-20/game. Fill it up with fans who will buy concessions and Orange gear; trust that from that group will develop people like me who will want to upgrade their seats, start tailgating, make OSU football an important part of their lives. (PS: I'd like to see something similar with $10 tickets in the 300 level of GIA)
  6. osu_cowboy_007

osu_cowboy_007 Cowboy

Does anybody know how many student tickets that we sell to students at non Stillwater campuses? IMHO, if the product is good and prices are right we can get 70-75k.
  7. OSUndefeated

OSUndefeated Wrangler

I don't think we should expand BPS right now. I'm not saying that at all. I'm just saying if we were to add 20,000 seats I'm not sure how that would make BPS a less special place whatsoever or make it "like norman".
  8. cowboys_r_us

cowboys_r_us Cowboy

I think you have a great point. The only counterpoint is this: there are fans who would downgrade to a cheaper seat because it is available. Currently the WEZ is the cheapest seat so it is full. If the upper deck was the cheapest seat, many would move there and your profit wouldn't change one bit.

If your demand doesn't increase at the same rate as your supply, then you're not doing any good.

In terms of building your fanbase, it's a great idea. From an investment/profit standpoint, it isn't necessarily.

I continue to believe that before we talk about expanding the current stadium, we need to finish the IPF, soccer, track and baseball facilities. In 3-4 years if we are successful and need more room, we start the fund raising process.

I simply can't see a scenario where it is completed before 2018.
    PokeLady211 likes this.
  9. 65POKE

65POKE Wrangler

Wasn't the GIA expansion, more or less, mandated by the conference?
  10. PokeLady211

PokeLady211 Wrangler

You are probably right I guess I just like the way it looks because it is very different than most stadiums...
  11. OSUndefeated

OSUndefeated Wrangler

LOL fair enough. I don't see how adding an upper deck would make it look any less unique. It would just make it bigger, but the design would be the same. But alright.
  12. PokeLady211

PokeLady211 Wrangler

I'm a girl...I have a vision dont you know that? :)
  13. jobob85

A/V Subscriber jobob85 Cowboy

That vision thing is nice and all but, shouldn't you be making sandwiches?:D
  14. OSU79

Point taken, I'm just not sure a lot of folks would downgrade. Then the question becomes "is there an untapped demand at lower prices?" (I think there is). And, of course, do those lower prices (+ increased revenues for concessions, licensed apparel, etc.) generate enough income to make the project viable?

As much as I would like to see them start on the upper deck tomorrow, and believe it makes financial sense right now, I agree that those other facilities need to be complete or well on their way to completion first. I'd love to see all of them plus the upper deck complete by 2018, but even that may be a little ambitious.
    Rack likes this.
  15. OSU79

Oh, and I'll take a club sandwich, please.
  16. PokeLady211

PokeLady211 Wrangler

shouldnt you be WORKING! ;)
    GoSTATE and croc_hunter like this.
  17. pokefan_4

A/V Subscriber pokefan_4 The Colossus of Clout

pretty simple.... sell out every single game for 5-7 years.. then this talk becomes real. We haven't even had a complete, 100% full capacity game yet.. And we were the #3 team in the Nation last year.... If you add 20,000 more seats... the stadium becomes an empty eye sore to anyone watching on TV and to the national media
  18. jobob85

A/V Subscriber jobob85 Cowboy

True but today I am supervising myself. That kind of power can make you irrational.:D
  19. OSU79

We never sold out before we built the WEZ. I hate when they show that empty eyesore on TV.
    Rack likes this.
  20. PokeLady211

PokeLady211 Wrangler

hahah hey how about you come around the tailgate at the Spring Game and ill show you irrational!!!!! LOL jk