Wallace #97 and Hubbard #131

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Dec 21, 2008
He rarely blocked bc it is very subpar. Look at how many college games he’s played in. That is his limitation. Every RB runs a 4.45. So does every freakin LB and DB. He’s a unique player with speed. Other parts of his game have not surfaced yet. Justice can’t block either. He got Lamar and the backup hit several times early in the yr by being a jab step too slow. QBs make millions. Scouts and coaches aren’t going to gamble just because a kid is fast. So many more areas like blitz pickup, feet work, blitz pickup and blitz pickup.

OSUMIKE17

Property of The Oklahoman and NewsOk.com
A/V Subscriber
Apr 11, 2009
Tulsa
Hubbard's biggest downfall might be his size. He's 6'-1" 207 lbs and he's built more like a wide receiver than a running back. This is the same reason Justice Hill slipped to the 4th round. Hubbard could help his draft stock the most by spending the next year putting on 10-15 lbs of muscle with Rob Glass.
Justice Hill was three-four inches shorter than Hubbard. That makes it a much different case.

Hubbard will likely be 6’1” and 215lbs by the time the combine comes around. That was around the same measurables that Adrian Peterson had and I think he did just fine with his size and weight at the next level.

Oct 30, 2007
Justice Hill was three-four inches shorter than Hubbard. That makes it a much different case.

Hubbard will likely be 6’1” and 215lbs by the time the combine comes around. That was around the same measurables that Adrian Peterson had and I think he did just fine with his size and weight at the next level.
I don't think height affects a running back's draft stock nearly as much as muscle mass.
Josh Jacobs: 5'-10", 220 lbs, 4.52 forty (1st round draft pick)
Justice Hill: 5'-10", 198 lbs, 4.4 forty (4th round draft pick)

I think Hubbard will be fine in the NFL as well. He's shown great durability this year while carrying a heavy workload. But I still think his weight is the main reason he's rated so low on draft boards. I don't know why he wouldn't be rated higher if that weren't the case.

OSUMIKE17

A/V Subscriber
Apr 11, 2009
Tulsa
I don't think height affects a running back's draft stock nearly as much as muscle mass.
Josh Jacobs: 5'-10", 220 lbs, 4.52 forty (1st round draft pick)
Justice Hill: 5'-10", 198 lbs, 4.4 forty (4th round draft pick)

I think Hubbard will be fine in the NFL as well. He's shown great durability this year while carrying a heavy workload. But I still think his weight is the main reason he's rated so low on draft boards. I don't know why he wouldn't be rated higher if that weren't the case.
Because he doesn’t play for a blue blood coinciding with he hasn’t built as much of a name for himself yet.

Draft board “experts” are no more credible than the national talking heads that do very little research week in and week out.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked

Another interesting thing is that Hubbard developed a slightly more patient running style over the season. I thought that was a neat development for someone that most people consider a track star that can carry a football. He may have to put in some work in blocking (what college RB doesn't?) and other finer points of RB play, but he's definitely got the size, speed, quickness, balance, and good enough hands to have success in the NFL.

Jun 11, 2016
Oklahoma City
Hubbard's biggest downfall might be his size. He's 6'-1" 207 lbs and he's built more like a wide receiver than a running back. This is the same reason Justice Hill slipped to the 4th round. Hubbard could help his draft stock the most by spending the next year putting on 10-15 lbs of muscle with Rob Glass.
Mccaffrey is 5'11" 207 so I don't think his size is a problem. That guy is handling a pretty heavy load for the Panthers and he is arguably the best back in the league. Cook is also 5'10" 210.

Poke4Christ

Federal Marshal
Aug 2, 2005
Edmond, OK
Hubbard may be the best RB to come out of OSU since Thomas and Sanders. Everyone seems to consider him a pure speed back, but I disagree. He shows an insane amount of RB intelligence. He doesn't just charge the line and expect the hole to be there he is patient and waits for it to appear.

Also, I disagree with someone who said early he doesn't make people miss. He does that quite a lot. Additionally, he powers through a lot of hits. I have seen him get amazingly low. Yes, speed is without a doubt his top characteristic, but from my untrained eye he appears to really be a complete package. I think he is going to be a STAR in the NFL.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
Hubbard may be the best RB to come out of OSU since Thomas and Sanders. Everyone seems to consider him a pure speed back, but I disagree. He shows an insane amount of RB intelligence. He doesn't just charge the line and expect the hole to be there he is patient and waits for it to appear.

Also, I disagree with someone who said early he doesn't make people miss. He does that quite a lot. Additionally, he powers through a lot of hits. I have seen him get amazingly low. Yes, speed is without a doubt his top characteristic, but from my untrained eye he appears to really be a complete package. I think he is going to be a STAR in the NFL.
I think his success will primarily be dictated by which team he falls to. His O-line, other RBs on the roster, and how the OC use RBs will all impact what he does.

OSUMIKE17

A/V Subscriber
Apr 11, 2009
Tulsa
Another interesting thing is that Hubbard developed a slightly more patient running style over the season. I thought that was a neat development for someone that most people consider a track star that can carry a football. He may have to put in some work in blocking (what college RB doesn't?) and other finer points of RB play, but he's definitely got the size, speed, quickness, balance, and good enough hands to have success in the NFL.
His vision and decision-making are his best strengths.

People see the speed but don’t realize that he is only able to take advantage of that speed because of the two aforementioned strengths.

Nov 13, 2003
Austin, TX

Dead on with this assessment of Hubbard. I believe he will improve dramatically in the draft if he waits another year.

Feb 15, 2017
Texas
Any thought that he skips Bowl game due to impression that mights be left when facing a tough Aggie run defense ?

(Yes, I gagged a little writing that, but a valid concern if he gives a less than stellar performance)

Last edited:

RutherfordFan

Federal Marshal
Feb 5, 2008
Oklahoma City
He rarely blocked bc it is very subpar. Look at how many college games he’s played in. That is his limitation. Every RB runs a 4.45. So does every freakin LB and DB. He’s a unique player with speed. Other parts of his game have not surfaced yet. Justice can’t block either. He got Lamar and the backup hit several times early in the yr by being a jab step too slow. QBs make millions. Scouts and coaches aren’t going to gamble just because a kid is fast. So many more areas like blitz pickup, feet work, blitz pickup and blitz pickup.
LB s dont run 4.45 every LB. No way. A few.