Warren's Plan on Student Loans

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Nov 6, 2010
And IMO, this is why we are here as well. Too good for menial labor or, God forbid, entry level positions. Cannot tell you the number of interviewees I have seen in the past 10 years who walked away from entry level jobs thinking the college degree entitled them to middle management and above right out of the box. Starts even younger. The little suburb I live in cannot find kids to work. The new shopping center literally has buses running to Dallas to pick-up people who want to work at the jobs a decade ago we were screaming that the illegals were taking from them. I personally know about 20 kids in this high school. Every one has a car nicer than mine, live in a house nicer than mine, and with one exception, none of them work. Work is beneath kids today and that just fosters the entitlement expectation.
Where are you out of curiosity? I just moved from Flower Mound a year and a half ago. It's funny, I didn't think I'd miss the metroplex, but I do sometimes.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
Now, I fulfilled your request, so please show me the policies from your preferred candidate. Otherwise, it just looks like pointless whining with no real solution.
Oh, I haven't found a preferred candidate yet. It all looks like headed to hell in a handbasket to me, just a matter of who might get us there the slowest.

Aug 16, 2012
Where are you out of curiosity? I just moved from Flower Mound a year and a half ago. It's funny, I didn't think I'd miss the metroplex, but I do sometimes.
I am in Prosper, 30 miles straight north of Dallas on DNT. Used to be a rural burg, now it is Frisco North. Traffic cone is the official tree, concrete trucks are the official vehicle and back-up alarms are the official song.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
And they are crushing wages
Speaking of crushing wages, Walmart has just dropped entry-level pharmacist wages in OKC by $20 per hour and no one can get more than 32 hr per week. There are a bunch of new schools that have opened in the past 10 years that are going to close. It is a good time for me to get back to a state flag-ship school.

Nov 6, 2010
I am in Prosper, 30 miles straight north of Dallas on DNT. Used to be a rural burg, now it is Frisco North. Traffic cone is the official tree, concrete trucks are the official vehicle and back-up alarms are the official song.
Yea, I've got friends in Prosper. It and Little Elm have blown up beyond recognition.

Donnyboy

Lettin' the high times carry the low....
A/V Subscriber
Oct 31, 2005
Speaking of crushing wages, Walmart has just dropped entry-level pharmacist wages in OKC by $20 per hour and no one can get more than 32 hr per week. There are a bunch of new schools that have opened in the past 10 years that are going to close. It is a good time for me to get back to a state flag-ship school.
Yeah I got a buddy that owns pharmacies......it used to be a struggle for him to hire people.....he gets people sending him their resume's from the big stores all the time. It will all be machines dispensing in a few years

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
And IMO, this is why we are here as well. Too good for menial labor or, God forbid, entry level positions. Cannot tell you the number of interviewees I have seen in the past 10 years who walked away from entry level jobs thinking the college degree entitled them to middle management and above right out of the box. Starts even younger. The little suburb I live in cannot find kids to work. The new shopping center literally has buses running to Dallas to pick-up people who want to work at the jobs a decade ago we were screaming that the illegals were taking from them. I personally know about 20 kids in this high school. Every one has a car nicer than mine, live in a house nicer than mine, and with one exception, none of them work. Work is beneath kids today and that just fosters the entitlement expectation.
I think it's pretty disingenuous to blame the kids for an environment created by their parents...

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
Ahh. Yes. So this lends even more to this...

I think it's pretty disingenuous to blame the kids for an environment created by their parents...
The people who decided to raise their kids in places like Prosper want to insulate them from everything bad in the world. A part time job might force them to face rejection or be told they're not special or, heaven forbid, keep them from being first chair clarinet and captain of the baseball team which will keep them from going to their preferred college (Baylor or TCU, to be sure).

In Frisco, they have pretty much found a way to keep anybody who is "other" out of the city by surrounding themselves with toll roads. They have cops that set up in every road into Frisco from McKinney and pull over any group of kids heading to Frisco. That's why so many South Asian people love Frisco... because they can keep their kids insulated from all of the "bad" things in America (re: poor whites and black kids).

It's not the kids who have created this environment... but they're the easiest to blame.

bleedinorange

Federal Marshal
Jan 11, 2010
In Pokey's head
Whatever we do, let's make as many excuses as possible for their inability to discern for themselves the difference between responsibility and laziness. Isn't that continuing with more of the same enabling you're accusing their parents of?

Poor babies. <eyeroll>

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
No. Just that you guys are overstating the effect of machines on the workforce. In my opinion, big time.
Man I sell a platform that enables most of this stuff to become reality... I'm acutely aware of what AI is capable of. I don't think I'm overstating the potential effect it will have on the world economy at all.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
Whatever we do, let's make as many excuses as possible for their inability to discern for themselves the difference between responsibility and laziness. Isn't that continuing with more of the same enabling you're accusing their parents of?

Poor babies. <eyeroll>
I think it's pretty irresponsible for an adult to blame a 15 year old for not being taught to be a responsible, contributing member of society. I think the blame for that rests solely on his/her parents.