1. You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Wes Lunt won't be OSU's only QB

Discussion in 'OSU Sports Forum' started by bs_21_goat, Jul 27, 2012.

1. opfan

opfan Wrangler

News flash! Walsh can throw the ball, he accounted for 11,000 total yards in two years and 5 games (5 games his sophomore year due to injury)...approx. 7,000 passing and 4,000 rushing. 68 passing touchdowns and 45 rushing touchdowns! 113 touchdowns in the big time football in Texas! To only 14 ints! Walsh played in 16 playoff games in Texas and beat numerous big time Division I football players along the way.

If our coaches find a way to get this young man on the field, the Cowboys will benefit! If he remains our backup, that means Lunt is a stud and we are loaded at that position.
  2. Cody51

Cody51 Wrangler

I will respond to both of you,
    Our offense needs to spend every second it can getting this 18 year old true freshman as many reps as he can.
    It is not him being able to throw the ball I am talking about, it is the decision making and getting used to the offense that he needs the practice for.
    Fanatic, I don't know what base offense you use in your school, but the zone blocking schemes are a complete departure from what I have seen us do in the last couple of years. And I think that defenses In college have almost no problem scheming against it, especially when it comes with a personnel change.
    The teams in college that have had success with the wildcat lately use it as an extension of their current zone read offense
    Thank you both for being civil in your posts
  3. HeartLike_JohnStarks

HeartLike_JohnStarks Cowboy

Oh look....another QB debate thread.

Carry on.
  4. Cody51

Cody51 Wrangler

You know who else can throw? The freshman that beat him out for starting QB.
    As to getting him on the field, nobody has answered this question for me: who would you replace with Walsh? If he is not at QB where do you pit him that he will do better than the starter at that position?
  5. Cody51

Cody51 Wrangler

Wrinkles? Yes,
    Different offensive concepts? No
    I already discussed how zone read can be effective.
    I guess what I am hung up on is there are offenses that rely on gimmicks and there are offenses that rely on execution, if we can be both fine. But I dont want to sacrifice running the offense as well as we cAn For forcing someone onto the lineup.
  6. OrangeFanatic

OrangeFanatic Wrangler

I enjoy talking and listening to others view points! I don't tend to get mad when other people speak their minds! lol. Well out of the wildcat we actually run more than zone. We will run traps and darts which is where you pull guards and tackles. That is what every team does even colleges on their run-blocking schemes. So you put Walsh back their in the wildcat and the blocking scheme doesn't change for the o-line because when their in their regular formation the o-line is going to block the same way it would for Randle or Smith. OSU ran a lot of outside zones last year with Randle and Smith and we were decently effective with it. So a zone read play is no different of a blocking scheme than a regular outside zone for the RB, only difference is the QB can keep it. I agree that Lunt needs as much reps as he can get but if our coaches figure this out outside of practice and come in to the next practice knowing what they want to do, it won't take that long to put it in and do some reps with it. Practice it for about 10-15 mins a practice and your good to go and as the season goes on they can add plays or take away and change it as they please, it's not like installing a whole new offense. And by no means guys am I starting a debate on our QB's! I love that Lunt is the starter!!!! I support him and our coaches 100%. But I do believe we should have a package for Walsh because it will only make us better.
  7. SportinOrange

SportinOrange Cowboy

Yeah, that is another way of looking at it. And I do know what you mean. OU fans do tend to act like they will be just as good the next season after losing key people. But at the same time they do remain good. Maybe not national title good but they normally are def in contention. We may not be good enough to win a title but we can at least shoot for it.
  8. cowboyethics344

cowboyethics344 Cowboy

The reason the optimistic view points are not outrageous is due to the fact that we will have a loaded defense that might be the best defense OSU has had in a LONG LONG TIME or ever for that matter. If our offense is average then we should have a shot in every game we play. Turnovers and consistent 3 outs can dictate the game but if our o-line plays at a high level and we can sustain drives then we will win a bunch of games.
  9. Cody51

Cody51 Wrangler

The only time i remember us running anything that looked like an outside zone were from the diamond where we handed off to the upback off the edge. Not taking into account goalline plays, the running plays i could remember were point of attack, turn your butt and shield block the hole, or draw. But i could easily have missed it.

This is a little off topic, but i absolutely loathe the wildcat in CFB, it works great in highschool, but I hate making your offense one dimensional.

Back on topic. Lunt beat Walsh out, I think our offense works best with a pocket passer, and i think that if we put a package for Walsh in it will take us out of rythm and I hate the thought of taking your starting quarterback out of the game.
  10. okcfan33

okcfan33 Cowboy

So the question is, if we run the Air Raid between the 20's and run the Zac-Option coming in during red zones, how will that affect our offense? Instead of averaging 48.7 ppg, we should average around 52. ;)
  11. StillwaterMan

A/V Subscriber StillwaterMan Beers and loud noises

You need to ask Gundy....He is the one stirring the pot.

"There’s always discussions on trying to get any player involved in our team on offense or defense that can help us win or deserves it,” coach Mike Gundy said.
    "We've got a freshman who's got a ton of ability that didn't get named the starter that brings a different aspect to the table, his strengths," Gundy said. "We would love to find ways to get him involved, and ultimately, I think we will."
  12. Cody51

Cody51 Wrangler

Too lazy to look up statistics, but I am pretty sure we had a really good red zone scoring percentage the last couple of years. I also remember the "zac-option" getting stuffed at the goal line and becoming the lob to dez show inside the redzone.
  13. JAYBEE

JAYBEE Cowboy

This is Todd Monken's quote about Lunt in today's Daily Oklahoman:

"It [selection of WL as starting QB] was unanimous with our staff. Some 18-year-olds act like they are 13. Some 18-year-olds act like they are 23. He's so much more mature. He has a very accurate arm, he's got a calm demeanor like Brandon (Weeden) - and he just gets it. He just has something about him and I don't want to wait two years to figure it out."

I told one OU fan this week (as to his remarks about our true Fr QB), that by the end of this season and Bedlam, Lunt has a chance to be scary. He's no typical true Fr IMO.
    PlatypusJojo and cowboyethics344 like this.
  14. Cody51

Cody51 Wrangler

I would if I could but I don't see that happening, so I do the next best thing and gripe about it on the interwebz!
  15. IlliniAmy

IlliniAmy Wrangler

That isn't stirring the pot. That is saying that they aren't going to let an exceptionally talented athlete wallow on the bench.

Fans taking that statement and twisting it into something it's not is what is stirring the pot.

16. okcfan33

okcfan33 Cowboy

my sentiments exactly. I do not want to have a QB controversy, but I can see Walsh being 1/3 of the "diamond". Can you imagine, you have this dangerous runner getting the ball, then he could pitch it to Randle, or he could do a throwback to a wide open Lunt? Really the possibilities are endless. I also think the zone read makes the opposing D have to play you differently. They get so used to a umbrella style nickel, and then have to come up in run support against a speedy QB keeper.
  17. orangepower317

orangepower317 Deputy

Hey guys, remember when everyone on this board was arguing about who would be the QB of the future, Deaton or Sorenson???
    StillwaterMan likes this.
  18. okierock

okierock Wrangler

I like to think that Walsh is special and will see the field but his recruiting rankings don't have anything to do with it. Bobby Reid was pretty highly rated and was beat out by Zac. Deaton and Sorenson were also highly rated and look where they are.

If Walsh has special packages put in for him then that means he is too talented to leave sitting on the bench. If that is the case then OSU is better for it, and if not then we probably need to look for a pocket passing backup because right now we don't have one.
  19. osu_cowboy_007

osu_cowboy_007 Cowboy

Question is, can he block? You have to block well (all three of them) if you wanna execute diamond.
  20. StillwaterMan

A/V Subscriber StillwaterMan Beers and loud noises

Haha, In this situation the fans are the pot, and some are obviously slighty stirred (read thread).