What do you ag students learn for 4 years?

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Okay, apologies for starting a thread just to link a Fox news story but I couldn't resist getting a reaction about this one from some of our fine Ag friends on here. With all the talk of the $50 million gift to the Ag department, I have to wonder what the heck they are teaching you guys? All that money you Ag students spent on student loans, Bloomberg could have saved you the money and the time.

"The agrarian society lasted 3,000 years and we could teach processes. I could teach anybody, even people in this room, no offense intended, to be a farmer," Bloomberg said. "It's a process. You dig a hole, you put a seed in, you put dirt on top, add water, up comes the corn. You could learn that."

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/bloomberg-implied-farming-is-easy-in-2016-comments

They are going to love this guy in the flyover states. :p

Last edited:

jakeman

Unhinged Idiot
A/V Subscriber
Apr 4, 2005
Limbo
Bloomberg couldn't grow dandelions.

edit to add - while his candidacy is real, and he could make November, I think the other dems will completely destroy him before he ever gets that far.

Nothing is impossible though, because, Trump.

kaboy42

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2007
Okay, apologies for starting a thread just to link a Fox news story but I couldn't resist getting a reaction about this one from some of our fine Ag friends on here. With all the talk of the $50 million gift I have to wonder what the heck they are teaching you guys? All that money you Ag students spent on student loans, Bloomberg could have saved you the money and the time.

"The agrarian society lasted 3,000 years and we could teach processes. I could teach anybody, even people in this room, no offense intended, to be a farmer," Bloomberg said. "It's a process. You dig a hole, you put a seed in, you put dirt on top, add water, up comes the corn. You could learn that."

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/bloomberg-implied-farming-is-easy-in-2016-comments

They are going to love this guy in the flyover states. :p
I'll be the first to say it.

He's a f*%king moron. A rich, white, male, a$$hole to be exact. :cursing:

Apr 14, 2009
Just like the a$$hole now in the Whitehouse! Except he is a real billionaire. Not a pretender like the tanning bed queen.

Jostate

A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
I'll be the first to say it.

He's a f*%king moron. A rich, white, male, a$$hole to be exact. :cursing:
To be more specific. Jewish, billionaire, NYC, media mogul. What could the conspiracy theory types possibly find to not like about this guy?

I better go check on the survivalist boards to see how things are going.

jakeman

Unhinged Idiot
A/V Subscriber
Apr 4, 2005
Limbo
Or you could give your opinion on him saying that he could teach anyone to be a farmer.

Can't do it. Not possible. Goes to sleep thinking about it. Dreams about it. Wakes up thinking about it. Thinks about it all day.

TDS is real. Hopefully big pharma is working on a cure.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
Bloomberg doesn't seem to be as radically insane as the other Dem front-runners, but he's no less authoritarian minded than they are (IMO)...and his stance on guns automatically means I could never support him in any way.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
Bloomberg doesn't seem to be as radically insane as the other Dem front-runners, but he's no less authoritarian minded than they are (IMO)...and his stance on guns automatically means I could never support him in any way.
The problem with Bloomberg (although maybe not quite as bad as Warren) is I’m not sure about what he truly believes vs what he must appear to believe to get support/elected.

At least with Trump you know where he stands and what he will and won’t support.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nov 16, 2013
tractor
Or you could give your opinion on him saying that he could teach anyone to be a farmer.
I tried it, didn't work. You can't teach persistence and love of really hard work. Upper income folk from the NE (I have them on my wife's and my side of the family) just don't get it. The city relative contempt when they find out we have A/C on our tractors or hydraulics on our cow chutes is just incredible. They believe we should still be doing things like our common ancestors did them.

hcebb

Wrangler
A/V Subscriber
Jul 23, 2008
GA
Has anyone listened to the full one minute clip? (The fox news link above didn't have the clip that this is from either) While it is still a little unclear, he actually seems to be saying THE OPPOSITE that he is getting criticized for. He appears to be talking about agriculture in the past and then transitions to the technology of now in both agriculture and industry. Hard to tell without further context like the question he was asked or the conversation after he talks about today's technology.

Much easier to be outraged I guess. Not a Bloomberg fan here, but also don't get fake outrage.

Jostate

A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Has anyone listened to the full one minute clip? (The fox news link above didn't have the clip that this is from either) While it is still a little unclear, he actually seems to be saying THE OPPOSITE that he is getting criticized for. He appears to be talking about agriculture in the past and then transitions to the technology of now in both agriculture and industry. Hard to tell without further context like the question he was asked or the conversation after he talks about today's technology.

Much easier to be outraged I guess. Not a Bloomberg fan here, but also don't get fake outrage.
I'm at work and didn't listen, just read. He went on to say:

"Now comes the information economy and the information economy is fundamentally different because it's built around replacing people with technology and the skill sets that you have to learn are how to think and analyze, and that is a whole degree level different. You have to have a different skill set, you have to have a lot more gray matter. "

I'll have to listen when I get home but it's hard to understand how this was just a matter of context. The quotes make it sound like he thinks farming is for simple minded people to dig in the dirt.

hcebb

Wrangler
A/V Subscriber
Jul 23, 2008
GA

"Now comes the information economy and the information economy is fundamentally different because it's built around replacing people with technology and the skill sets that you have to learn are how to think and analyze, and that is a whole degree level different. You have to have a different skill set, you have to have a lot more gray matter. "

I'll have to listen when I get home but it's hard to understand how this was just a matter of context. The quotes make it sound like he thinks farming is for simple minded people to dig in the dirt.
He's trying (again, I'm reading between lines, think we can all agree he isn't best when it comes to a straight forward answer) to say that the skill set for agriculture is different than it was centuries ago. That it is no longer for simple minded people who want to dig in the dirt. The anecdote of the lathe machine to today's technology is analogous to the seed in the ground to today's farmers.

Nov 16, 2013
tractor
He's trying (again, I'm reading between lines, think we can all agree he isn't best when it comes to a straight forward answer) to say that the skill set for agriculture is different than it was centuries ago. That it is no longer for simple minded people who want to dig in the dirt. The anecdote of the lathe machine to today's technology is analogous to the seed in the ground to today's farmers.
No, he's not, he is being his typical condescending self that knows what best for everyone. His comments and actions are not good.

kaboy42

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2007

My reading between the lines: Those that have/obtain a "Farmer's skill set" don't really have the capacity to understand the types of technology that are actively replacing people in the work force. These types can't program.

Hey Mike, I'll bet you a year's salary that you can't drive this vvvvvvvvvvvvvv 10ft. :rolleyes:

EQ72WVeXkAQHven.jpg