What OSU Basketball means to you...

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Dec 21, 2008
https://twitter.com/osumbb/status/1228696421643190274?s=21

share the positive memories you have and what the program means to you. We are all part of that million fan orange tidal wave every game day!!

Oct 7, 2015
St. Elmo, CO
I remember meeting several OSU fans at a sports bar in Torrance, CA for an April Fools Day battle with local favorite and #1 West seed, UCLA.
The game was a back and forth battle with UCLA pulling away at the end and eventually winning it all. Who knows if we would have advanced playing in the other match up.
But, just being there is almost as good as winning it all.

Aug 2, 2011
Use to mean more than any other OSU sport to me
It use to bother me when we lost
Now I watch out of a feeling of obligation

OrangeFan69

LA Face with an Okla. booty.
A/V Subscriber
Apr 24, 2010
Lives in cities you'll never see on screen
twitter.com
I remember my first OSU game as a student. It was January 1998 an early Saturday morning game against Texas A&M.

It was pre expansion GIA, and A&M was relatively new to the Big 12 and weren't used to that level of crowd noise. We got up to a quick start, Aggies coach Melvin Watkins called timeout and that just made the student section get even louder. I noticed a couple of Aggie players look at the crowd like, "These a-holes aren't ever going to shut up?!??!?"

I think we won by 30. :)

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Paul Hanson was a great guy who just didn't win enough. One of my favorite memories was when he was on his way out, we pulled off a huge upset of OU and the students carried him around on their shoulders.

Mar 8, 2010
Not as much as it used to. I was a season ticket holder for 25 years before Ford finally did me in and now I maybe attend 1 or 2 games each year. I attended both of Eddie's Final Fours and lived and died with each win and loss. I hope MB can somehow recharge my excitement for basketball. My favorite memory was Big Country's Half Court Shot to send the Missouri game in to OT and eventually win. Before that it was Hannon's half court shot to beat defending National Champ Louisville.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
The Hanson team that lost to Princeton in the tourney was one of my favorites. Remember listening to Bob Barry Sr. call a quadruple OT win at Colorado. Forget if it was Matt Clark or Lo Andrews that drove the floor at the end of the 3rd OT to tie it up.

Also, seeing that team take down the Sundvold/Stipanovich MIzzou team & win the Big 8 tourney was a huge deal at the time.

Rob B.

I'm......Batman.
A/V Subscriber
Aug 13, 2007
Rockin' the GL.
Also, seeing that team take down the Sundvold/Stipanovich MIzzou team & win the Big 8 tourney was a huge deal at the time.
We beat Mizzou at home that year as well, Leroy Coombs went beast mode, that was my first game at GIA, been in love with the place ever since.

Here's the schedule from that year, note the attendance #'s. 82-83
20200216_194508.png

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2008
Corinth, TX
Not as much as it used to. I was a season ticket holder for 25 years before Ford finally did me in and now I maybe attend 1 or 2 games each year. I attended both of Eddie's Final Fours and lived and died with each win and loss. I hope MB can somehow recharge my excitement for basketball. My favorite memory was Big Country's Half Court Shot to send the Missouri game in to OT and eventually win. Before that it was Hannon's half court shot to beat defending National Champ Louisville.
Half Court Shot had to be one of the best ever. Standing on the risers across from the visiting team, so the same end as the shot (North End). After Crudup hit that 3-pointer, we started slowly putting on our jackets during the OSU timeout. And as an OSU fan, you had to love seeing Crudup take a 3-pointer. Definitely a YESSS!!!, OH NO!!! moment.
When Country hit the shot, we were ripping each others jackets off and saying how stupid we were. :lol:

One of my OSU favorite teams.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
You know, it's kind of a loved and lost story...the meteoric rise of Eddie Suttons teams and the raising of the GIA roof and filling that baby with the loudest fans (OF ALL AGES) on the planet is something I just don't think we will ever see again. Hate to be that way, but it just took certain circumstances that tend to only happen once in a place and a lifetime. Maybe, just maybe, we can recapture about 70% of what we had but even that...IMHO is a stretch in modern American college basketball with the state of one and done players and the rise of the internet/streaming for entertainment. I'm glad to have experienced it, but I'm very doubtful that I will ever have that kind of a heart felt commitment to any sports team again...it was very much an emotional experience with the heart wrenching lowlight of the plane crash, which was followed by the best send off we could muster as a tribute during the Missouri game. Being in attendance is something I'll never forget. We all had tears running down our faces as we yelled as loud as we could possibly yell for our lost Cowboys, now on the other side of the pasture, as well as those they left behind...just never will forget that decade and a half of Cowboy Basketball...not sure the "kids" have a clue what we had. It's sad...

That all being said, I do really like our current coach and think if anyone can do this, it might be a young classy guy like him.

Last edited:

O-St8

Orange is power.
A/V Subscriber
Jan 13, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
My very first memories of oSu basketball was the 1990-1991 (I believe) squad that lost to Temple. I just remember my dad coming unglued when Corey Williams shot was ruled a 2 point bucket. I was in at that point.

I was 14 during the 1995 march madness run and literally lived and breathed every moment. We would turn the TV on mute so that BT and TD could guide us through the games without us losing our minds. I'd shoot hoops on the basket in my cul de sac before, during halftime, and after the games and had the ball on my lap during the all the games. From the toothless grin of Pierce, to Big Country's shattered backboard, to the smooth stroke of Rutherford it was all a thrill for me as a kid.

Then the '04 run happened. The loudest sporting event I've ever attended was bedlam in GIA that year. They were good but we were much better. We went on a quick run where we hit a three, got a quick stop, hit another three, stole the in-bounds and Joey Graham slammed it home. The crowd went nuts and it ceased to sound like crowd noise...it was just this weird ringing sound. That NCAA run felt different to me than the '95 run did. I think we were only one seed higher than we were in '95, but we just seemed like a dominant team in '04. The buzzer beater by JLIII....the buzzer beater by Bynum.

I love oSu basketball..

Jan 21, 2006
Boulder
I watched Mr Iba's last hurrah in 1965. OSU beat KU in 4 OT"s in Gallagher and then again at The Phog, to wrap the Big 8 championship. March Madness then was only 8 teams, I think. Wichita State shot insanely to take us out of the show. I started returning for 2-3 games a year when Eddie came back. My brother died in 2010 and I haven't been back.

Sep 17, 2016
Dallas
Use to mean more than any other OSU sport to me
It use to bother me when we lost
Now I watch out of a feeling of obligation
Same here. I watch now, and just get frustrated at where the program once was and could have been for a long time and what is has now become. Us being relevant is just a blip in our history.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Half Court Shot had to be one of the best ever. Standing on the risers across from the visiting team, so the same end as the shot (North End). After Crudup hit that 3-pointer, we started slowly putting on our jackets during the OSU timeout. And as an OSU fan, you had to love seeing Crudup take a 3-pointer. Definitely a YESSS!!!, OH NO!!! moment.
When Country hit the shot, we were ripping each others jackets off and saying how stupid we were. :lol:

One of my OSU favorite teams.
I don't think the 3 point shot was a part of NCAA BB at that point, was it?

Sep 24, 2011
My care used to be a 10. Now it matches the guy who killed it, Mike Holder's 3. I despise Holder for what he has done to OSU basketball.