What would you like to see in a new Football Head Coach

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Feb 3, 2011
T-Town
A HC that knows how to get his stud skill players into space w/ the ball. The predictability with the game plans and playcalling is high school level. 90% of the passes, back-shoulder fades, jump balls to Tylan and something short in the middle. Can't call more than 1 slant per game, and sometimes none at that, can't target your 6'7" TE who's a walking mismatch in the red zone or 3rd or 4th and short, can't have any misdirection going on w/ the running game. Just run the same ole stuff (4 or 5 plays total), off tackle, off guard, sweep around the end which is 90% of our run game. The above-average O-line might actually be ABOVE-average with better play calling and more diversity of plays.

Luke Fickell is a guy who might make the move for the money Gumby's getting paid!

Jun 16, 2020
Atlanta
A HC that knows how to get his stud skill players into space w/ the ball. The predictability with the game plans and playcalling is high school level. 90% of the passes, back-shoulder fades, jump balls to Tylan and something short in the middle. Can't call more than 1 slant per game, and sometimes none at that, can't target your 6'7" TE who's a walking mismatch in the red zone or 3rd or 4th and short, can't have any misdirection going on w/ the running game. Just run the same ole stuff (4 or 5 plays total), off tackle, off guard, sweep around the end which is 90% of our run game. The above-average O-line might actually be ABOVE-average with better play calling and more diversity of plays.

Luke Fickell is a guy who might make the move for the money Gumby's getting paid!
We are paying 5 million a year for these results. Why not just scale it back get a coach for 3 million. If it doesnt work out we have more money for a staff in the future.

Aug 16, 2008
Oklahoma City
Financial circumstances just might dictate the strong programs and schools remain strong while us middle-class and poor-class schools and programs start our own league.

Let the top 20 or so rich programs have their own D1 super-league and the rest of us 100+ programs be the new D2 league.

And those financial realities would dictate who we could afford to hire in the future. WE wouldn’t have to compete in salary against Alabama and OU and similar rich programs but we’d get to compete only agains the K-state’s and Iowa States and those type schools for coaches.

Economics is going to change the landscape the next couple of years for sure. Don’t know what will result, but things are going to have to change.

Nov 6, 2010
YESSSSSS, let's hire the Travis Ford of football coaches. What could go wrong.
Uh, the highest ranked recruiting class I could find for Ford was like 27 or so. Marcus Smart's class was ranked 42. People remember the headliners but he was a pretty average recruiter, and I'd kill for a recruiting class in the top 30 about now.

Rob B.

I'm......Batman.
A/V Subscriber
Aug 13, 2007
Rockin' the GL.
Uh, the highest ranked recruiting class I could find for Ford was like 27 or so. Marcus Smart's class was ranked 42. People remember the headliners but he was a pretty average recruiter, and I'd kill for a recruiting class in the top 30 about now.
Don't hold your breath for top 30 recruiting classes. No matter who you think you could reasonably replace Gundy with.

Nov 1, 2009
Dallas
Financial circumstances just might dictate the strong programs and schools remain strong while us middle-class and poor-class schools and programs start our own league.

Let the top 20 or so rich programs have their own D1 super-league and the rest of us 100+ programs be the new D2 league.

And those financial realities would dictate who we could afford to hire in the future. WE wouldn’t have to compete in salary against Alabama and OU and similar rich programs but we’d get to compete only agains the K-state’s and Iowa States and those type schools for coaches.

Economics is going to change the landscape the next couple of years for sure. Don’t know what will result, but things are going to have to change.
Weak

Oct 30, 2007
Don't hold your breath for top 30 recruiting classes. No matter who you think you could reasonably replace Gundy with.
How about 2006 - 2008 Mike Gundy?? Those were top 25 recruiting classed BEFORE the facilities and success.
Coach Gundy's recruiting class rankings by year:
2006: 18th
2007: 25th
2008: 32nd
2009: 34th
2010: 29th
2011: 25th
2012: 31st
2013: 31st
2014: 27th
2015: 40th
2016: 45th
2017: 38th
2018: 34th
2019: 38th
2020: 40th

From Coach Gundy's first full class in 2006 to 2014, our average class ranking was 28th. Since then our average ranking has been 39th. Our current class is ranked 45th.

There's no doubt that we can can recruit at a higher level. It just takes having the right coaching staff in place. I don't think our current coaching staff is nearly as talented at recruiting as some of the staffs we had earlier in Coach Gundy's career.

Nov 6, 2010
Coach Gundy's recruiting class rankings by year:
2006: 18th
2007: 25th
2008: 32nd
2009: 34th
2010: 29th
2011: 25th
2012: 31st
2013: 31st
2014: 27th
2015: 40th
2016: 45th
2017: 38th
2018: 34th
2019: 38th
2020: 40th

From Coach Gundy's first full class in 2006 to 2014, our average class ranking was 28th. Since then our average ranking has been 39th. Our current class is ranked 45th.

There's no doubt that we can can recruit at a higher level. It just takes having the right coaching staff in place. I don't think our current coaching staff is nearly as talented at recruiting as some of the staffs we had earlier in Coach Gundy's career.
I also get the sense that after getting burned by a couple knuckleheads and jilted at the last minute by a couple other higher ranked recruits, maybe Gundy has stopped trying as hard for a lot of them. Dez was a program changer, but he was also a high risk that worked out. Hershel Sims was also a high risk, and didn't. I remember Ronald Jones left us high and dry at the last minute too, so maybe Gundy just thinks they can develop talent at a level high enough to make up for the talent deficit and the higher risk kids just aren't worth it anymore. The fact that we can afford to redshirt the majority of our players due to the stability and continuity of our program is a good thing, and pays off in the long run, but when we play OU, the talent disparity is just so glaring. I think we have to start taking a few more risks again in recruiting and get creative. Mine that transfer market hard for difference makers. Be willing to do two-fers, which IMO is how we landed T. Wallace. And take a couple chances per year on the high risk/high reward players. If our culture is as good as we think it is, we should be able to absorb a couple of those kids each year and really benefit them as well as us, just like with Dez.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
I also get the sense that after getting burned by a couple knuckleheads and jilted at the last minute by a couple other higher ranked recruits, maybe Gundy has stopped trying as hard for a lot of them. Dez was a program changer, but he was also a high risk that worked out. Hershel Sims was also a high risk, and didn't. I remember Ronald Jones left us high and dry at the last minute too, so maybe Gundy just thinks they can develop talent at a level high enough to make up for the talent deficit and the higher risk kids just aren't worth it anymore. The fact that we can afford to redshirt the majority of our players due to the stability and continuity of our program is a good thing, and pays off in the long run, but when we play OU, the talent disparity is just so glaring. I think we have to start taking a few more risks again in recruiting and get creative. Mine that transfer market hard for difference makers. Be willing to do two-fers, which IMO is how we landed T. Wallace. And take a couple chances per year on the high risk/high reward players. If our culture is as good as we think it is, we should be able to absorb a couple of those kids each year and really benefit them as well as us, just like with Dez.
Remember the stupid Dirty Game Sports Illustrated story? That, and our AD, changed things in terms of willingness to take "chances" on players IMHO.

MustangPokeFan

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2005
Mustang, Ok
www.newshoesband.net
Why does it need to be someone with OSU ties? Lincoln Riley had no OU ties before Stoops hired him. Dabo Swinney had no Clemson ties before Tommy Bowden hired him as receivers coach. Nick Saban never even played football beyond high school and had no Bama ties. Bob Stoops had no OU ties and took the job over an Iowa job where he did have ties. Just get out the checkbook and hire the best candidate available.

We were paying Mike $5 million, you can hire a lot of qualified people for that amount. Heck, Brent Venables could increase his salary 2 1/2 times by becoming our coach. I would think he could recruit big time with his reputation and our facilities. Holder needs to be bold and make a big splashy bold hire.

But then as we all know this is all just message board banter because Gundy is never going to leave until he decides to...... until then we just need to look forward to the occasional 9-3 or 10-2 season and not squawk too much about the usual 7-5 or 8-4 seasons.....Gundy will always be good, just never great.

Feb 18, 2009

For years all we heard about was how bad our defense was. I don’t know if that got to Gundy, he got embarrassed, he just got sick of listening to it, but I love the fact that he made a change to go find a real defense.

However I would never have traded what we had on offense. I used to relish watching our offense play because I knew every game we were going to put up 50 and you were gonna have to score 51 to beat us. Now I’m worried if we can even score 14. So we have a defense but last I checked defense can’t score nearly enough to win games for us. 63 to 49 is exactly the same as 14 to nothing, and way more fun to watch when we know we are never out of it.

Nov 14, 2010
Why does it need to be someone with OSU ties? Lincoln Riley had no OU ties before Stoops hired him. Dabo Swinney had no Clemson ties before Tommy Bowden hired him as receivers coach. Nick Saban never even played football beyond high school and had no Bama ties. Bob Stoops had no OU ties and took the job over an Iowa job where he did have ties. Just get out the checkbook and hire the best candidate available.

We were paying Mike $5 million, you can hire a lot of qualified people for that amount. Heck, Brent Venables could increase his salary 2 1/2 times by becoming our coach. I would think he could recruit big time with his reputation and our facilities. Holder needs to be bold and make a big splashy bold hire.

But then as we all know this is all just message board banter because Gundy is never going to leave until he decides to...... until then we just need to look forward to the occasional 9-3 or 10-2 season and not squawk too much about the usual 7-5 or 8-4 seasons.....Gundy will always be good, just never great.
Lincoln Riley was at OU whrn they promoted him to head Coach

Dabo Swinney was at Clemson when they promoted him

The reason why having ties is a good idea is because it greatly reduces risk.

Thats because, not only do you already know these people and have an intricate knowledge of how they do things, you also know how they function in Stillwater and at OSU.

When hiring guys like Les Miles, Mike Gundy, Josh Holliday etc... that had no head coaching experience, it made it much less risky already knowing how they operate both as a person and with OSU.

They already know the area

They know the High School coaches

They know how to hit the ground running at OSU and how to most successfully make a place like OSU work.

As I said earlier, some coaches are good enough to have success no matter where they are at.

But, just like players, the vast, vast majority of coaches need the right fit to operate successfully.

So.... finding the right fit at a place like OSU, KState etc.... is more important than anything else.

By having past experience with coaches with ties to OSU, you have eliminated one, and quite possibly the most important possible point of failure and that is whether they will fit.

Oct 1, 2006
USA
www.yahoo.com
Jim Harbaugh. And no, I'm not kidding. Hear me out.

Back-to-back 11-1 seasons at San Diego State.

Built a lousy Stanford Cardinal to 12-1 and Orange Bowl win in 4 years.

Three straight NFC Championship appearances with one NFC championship in 4 years with the 49ers.

Sure, he has struggled to win the big games at Michigan, but I think he has proven he is better with a chip on his shoulder in organizations not expected to be at the top of their respective leagues. Following his impending firing at Michigan, I hope he will feel he has something to prove again at the collegiate level because it's clear the guy can coach.

Why would he be a fit at OSU? No one can be sure, but he has proven he can be successful at wildly different universities in SDSU and Stanford. Now, can I imagine him living in Stillwater? Absolutely not, but I would love to see his passion for branding and recruiting at OSU. Pair that with a strong coaching staff and he might rekindle the magic he found in 3 of his 4 coaching stints.