Which postseason snub was worse, 2011 football or 2018 basketball?

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Which snub was worse?

• 2011 BCS

Votes: 85 95.5%
  • 2018 NCAA tournament

Votes: 4 4.5%

• Total voters
Feb 27, 2018
Tulsa
www.tulsaworld.com
Tulsa World's Bill Haisten made his opinion known, and was wondering what your thoughts were. This is my first poll; hope I did it correctly.

Excerpt from Bill:

While Cowboy fans expressed on Twitter their contempt for members of the NCAA Tournament’s Selection Committee, what happened to Oklahoma State on Sunday isn’t nearly as bad as what happened to Barry Hinson and the Missouri State Bears in 2006 and to the Oklahoma State football team in 2011.
On Selection Sunday 12 years ago, Hinson and his Missouri State basketball players had a 20-win record and were 21st in the RPI. Their minds were blown when they weren’t included on the NCAA Tournament bracket. It was a shocking and dead-wrong decision by the Selection Committee.

The 2011 football Cowboys, with an 11-1 season and a Big 12 championship, should have been matched with LSU in the Bowl Championship Series title game. Instead, Alabama was chosen to face the Tigers.
If there had been an Oklahoma State-LSU title game, Cowboy coach Mike Gundy said in 2015, “I don’t think there’s any question that we would have won by three touchdowns.”

Jul 7, 2010
Tampa, FL
I voted 2011 but I can sympathize with anyone who voted for 2018 - simply because this is still so fresh, infuriating, and shocking. Though the 2011 wound hasn't exactly healed...

I grew up in Connecticut among a sea of UConn fans, so I am the only Oklahoma State grad/fan in my circle - and I have been shocked at the amount of texts/calls/messages I have got from people with no connection to our school expressing their outrage at the NCAA for leaving us out of this tournament. I did not get any of that support in 2011.

Well

Wrangler
A/V Subscriber
Dec 17, 2009
I voted for this years NCAA tournament snub. My reasoning, is my reasoning. At the time I did not believe we would make the football finals because of politics. That turned out true. I honestly believed we would be in the NCAA tournament this year after the fantastic wins we had down the stretch. And for OU to get in this year, is additional salt in the wound.

Nov 8, 2013
Playing for a NC >>>>> Playing in a 64 team tournament.
True, but technically not relevant to the question, in my opinion. The winning snub is based on the merits of the qualification for the selection. That makes it really close between 2011FB and 2018BB. I barely select 2011FB since RPI has been a long-standing high-priority (albeit flawed) criteria. 2011FB seemed like pure politics.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2005
Dallas
we got hosed no question, but USC got it much worse this year. finishing 2nd in your conference, with 23 wins and 12-6 conference record, yet not getting an invite while the 3rd and 8th team in your conference receive invites? that's really messed up.

jobob85

Alcoholistic Sage
A/V Subscriber
Mar 11, 2009
True, but technically not relevant to the question, in my opinion. The winning snub is based on the merits of the qualification for the selection. That makes it really close between 2011FB and 2018BB. I barely select 2011FB since RPI has been a long-standing high-priority (albeit flawed) criteria. 2011FB seemed like pure politics.
Well for me the bigger stage makes the snub bigger.
Loosing 100% of a $100 investment <<<<<< Losing 10% of $100,000 investment

jetman

Federal Marshal
Nov 27, 2004
Edmond Oklahoma
we got hosed no question, but USC got it much worse this year. finishing 2nd in your conference, with 23 wins and 12-6 conference record, yet not getting an invite while the 3rd and 8th team in your conference receive invites? that's really messed up.
Yeah USC not getting in is seriously messed up. People are pointing the FBI investigation stuff as to why some us got screwed. Way to send a message committee, but WTF are you guys going to do when everything comes out to the public and half of the teams in tourney are going to be in the same boat or worse than the handful you decided to virtue signal about this year? That's right, you'll look the other way then and say "we can't possibly punish this many teams."

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
The significant of the 2011 snub was greater than the tourney snub this year, but the snub itself is worse this year.

Network analysts and commentators are all beside themselves about the snub this year. In 2011, the "experts" were split on it.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
The thing is, if you lose 14 games, it's kind of hard to say you should have been a lock....and if you aren't a lock then it's kind of hard to say it's the biggest snub in your programs history. Now, you can absolutely make an argument that the very metrics the committee claims to have used for some teams actually supported OSU's case more than the others they put in and you would be correct.

I think the fact that ou got in and OSU didn't, despite OSU clearly being the better team is the main reason some OSU fans may see this snub as bigger (it sure as hell pisses me off). If ou was left out too in favor of Baylor or USC then I think this question would easily be 100% in favor of 2011.

Aug 21, 2009
Edmond
Arguing that we DESERVE to be in this years tournament is really a tough argument. The only reason it hurts so bad is we deserve it more than OU and they got in. There are a host of teams with legitimate gripes about OU getting in so we aren't alone in that regard.

Jan 2, 2005
No Brainer. We, arguably, were the best team in the country in 2011. Had we played LSU, as we should have, we would have beaten them by 3 touchdowns.

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2005
Arguing that we DESERVE to be in this years tournament is really a tough argument. The only reason it hurts so bad is we deserve it more than OU and they got in. There are a host of teams with legitimate gripes about OU getting in so we aren't alone in that regard.
this is the almost correct answer. not sure we deserved it "more" than OU but certainly deserved to be in "more recently" than OU.

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
In the Boondocks in Creek County, Oklahoma
I think the committee has an ulterior motive for not selecting several of the teams that obviously should have been in the Big Dance. It is similar to the 2011 football situation. The need for a play-off became obvious and three years later there was one. Now there is talk of expanding it to 6 or 8 teams. That is where the committee on basketball is right now. Previously they had a thirty-two team tournament eventually expanding to sixty-four, then adding one play-in game and then expanding to four play-in games. I think they now want to expand it to 16 play-in games, resulting in more $$$$$$. What better way is there kick off that discussion than by leaving deserving teams out of the main event?

Last edited:

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Both sucked, but this is a FAR different thing. Certainly the stage was MUCH bigger, not even the same stratosphere, in 2011...This is more like being left out of a bowl in football if we won Bedlam and had more wins than OU as well as a win over the conference champ that year...Yet they get in a bowl with a 6-7 record...

So yeah, for me this one sucks worse because in 2011 we still played on a grand stage and finished #2/#3 in the country. This one just solidifies that ou get's special treatment, once again.

Certainly we deserved a shot in 2011, but an argument existed that we didn't...IMHO, no one can argue, with a straight face, that we didn't deserve to be in the tournament, over OU anyway.

Last edited:

pennpoke

Deputy
A/V Subscriber
Feb 16, 2012
York, PA
To me, this is a spurious debate. Apples and oranges.

The 2011 snub had bigger implications but was probably less blatantly stupid and refutable than the hoops snub we all just witnessed.