Wrestling US Open This Weekend

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
There's a whole mess of Pokes wrestling in the US Open this weekend in Las Vegas. Most winners here will get an automatic bye to an event called "Final X" which is where they'll wrestle the winner of the World Team Trials. Since the introduction of Final X, the wrestler that didn't have to wrestle in WTTs typically is the winner and earns their spot on the senior world team... so the US Open is important for these guys. Some of the weights already have a guy waiting for Final X, but that guy had to medal at the world championships last year... so Jordan Burroughs, Kyle Snyder, etc. are those that have already received their spot.

In less words it's a huge weekend for OSU wrestling.

Weight Class - 57KG:
Trevor Mastrogiavanni (future Poke) (Junior Division)
Rhett Golowenski (Junior Division)

Daton Fix (Favorite)
Nick Piccinnini
Austin Miller
Eddie Klimara

Would be awesome to see Mastro make the world team. We also might get to see a renewal in a pretty solid rivalry between Thomas Gilman of Iowa and Nicky Picc. Picc never beat Gilman, but he's also much better now than he was as a freshman. That said... Gilman is really freaking good and hopefully Daton can take him out in this tournament to get to Final X. I really like Daton's chances of making the senior team.

Weight Class - 61KG:
No Pokes... Really thought we might get Kaid Brock in here, but I guess he didn't want to make the weight cut. Or wants some time off since I think he's graduating in May. Tony Ramos is wrestling here... and even though he was a Hawkeye I had a great conversation with him at NCAAs and apparently he really wanted to be a Poke, but when he called to commit his scholarship had been given to John Morrison... Probably get a couple of national titles with Tony on the roster. He also hates the Hawkeyes now and is on the staff at North Carolina with Coleman so I'll probably root for him here.

Weight Class - 65KG:
Kaden Gfeller
Dean Heil
Jordan Oliver (favorite)

Would absolutely love to see G do well in this weight class, which is pretty loaded. Zain Retherford is wrestling at this weight. JO has a great chance to redeem his suspension a couple of years ago for a banned substance that was prescribed to him by a doctor and wasn't for performance enhancement but whatever.

Weight Class - 70KG:
Anthony Collica
Josh Kindig
Wyatt Sheets

Would love to see a strong performance from Sheets here. Kindig and Collica could both have strong showings as well. Would be nice to see them do well.

Weight Class - 74KG:
Travis Wittlake (Junior Division)

Really need Wittlake to make the junior team again. He was a Cadet world champ.

Weight Class - 79KG:
Dustin Plott (Future Poke) (Junior Division)
Gavin Stika (Junior Division)
Joe Smith
Alex Dieringer
Chance Marsteller

Ringer is up a weight and it's perfect timing for him to make a run at the senior team. Kyle Dake decided to go back down to 74KG and challenge Jordan Burroughs for his spot on the world team this summer. So this is Ringer's chance to finally push and make the senior team. He's been in an odd position for a few years now... as he's one of the 5 best wrestlers at 74KG or 79KG, but has two in front of him in Burroughs and Dake that he just can't beat. Strong chance that Ringer makes the senior team here and gets a gold at world's... which would be huge for Cowboy RTC. Especially if Fix can also make the team. Also, JO has been hanging out in Stillwater a lot so he might be on his way back to train with Cowboy RTC.

Weight Class - 86KG:
Bear Hughes
Chandler Rogers

Chandler represented the US in Freestyle at the Pan-Am Games last week and won the tournament, so he registered for the Open in freestyle as well. Both of these guys are also participating in Greco. Bear made the senior world team for Greco last season. Would love to see Chandler have a great senior level career.

Weight Class - 97KG:
Konner Doucet (future Poke) (Junior Division)
Austin Harris (Junior Division)

Doucet making the junior team would be huge but he's still competing with Braxton Amos and AJ Ferrari at this weight so idk if he'll be able to pull that off... but hopefully we also have Ferrari or Amos on the "future Poke" list soon. I don't know much about Austin Harris, but if he has a strong showing here at Greco or Freestyle may be an indicator to his future intentions. 213lbs may mean he is looking to bulk to be the heavyweight for this season... which would be nice.

Weight Class - 125KG:
Cornelius Putnam
Derek White

Derek must have found out that cutting back down to 97KG was going to be a tough task... he may be really freaking good at this weight in freestyle. It's a tough field, so this could be another interesting one to watch. Same for Putnam as with Harris... strong showing here might be an indicator to what we are doing with heavyweight next season.

Dec 6, 2016
Oklahoma City
There's a whole mess of Pokes wrestling in the US Open this weekend in Las Vegas. Most winners here will get an automatic bye to an event called "Final X" which is where they'll wrestle the winner of the World Team Trials. Since the introduction of Final X, the wrestler that didn't have to wrestle in WTTs typically is the winner and earns their spot on the senior world team... so the US Open is important for these guys. Some of the weights already have a guy waiting for Final X, but that guy had to medal at the world championships last year... so Jordan Burroughs, Kyle Snyder, etc. are those that have already received their spot.

In less words it's a huge weekend for OSU wrestling.

Weight Class - 57KG:
Trevor Mastrogiavanni (future Poke) (Junior Division)
Rhett Golowenski (Junior Division)

Daton Fix (Favorite)
Nick Piccinnini
Austin Miller
Eddie Klimara

Would be awesome to see Mastro make the world team. We also might get to see a renewal in a pretty solid rivalry between Thomas Gilman of Iowa and Nicky Picc. Picc never beat Gilman, but he's also much better now than he was as a freshman. That said... Gilman is really freaking good and hopefully Daton can take him out in this tournament to get to Final X. I really like Daton's chances of making the senior team.

Weight Class - 61KG:
No Pokes... Really thought we might get Kaid Brock in here, but I guess he didn't want to make the weight cut. Or wants some time off since I think he's graduating in May. Tony Ramos is wrestling here... and even though he was a Hawkeye I had a great conversation with him at NCAAs and apparently he really wanted to be a Poke, but when he called to commit his scholarship had been given to John Morrison... Probably get a couple of national titles with Tony on the roster. He also hates the Hawkeyes now and is on the staff at North Carolina with Coleman so I'll probably root for him here.

Weight Class - 65KG:
Kaden Gfeller
Dean Heil
Jordan Oliver (favorite)

Would absolutely love to see G do well in this weight class, which is pretty loaded. Zain Retherford is wrestling at this weight. JO has a great chance to redeem his suspension a couple of years ago for a banned substance that was prescribed to him by a doctor and wasn't for performance enhancement but whatever.

Weight Class - 70KG:
Anthony Collica
Josh Kindig
Wyatt Sheets

Would love to see a strong performance from Sheets here. Kindig and Collica could both have strong showings as well. Would be nice to see them do well.

Weight Class - 74KG:
Travis Wittlake (Junior Division)

Really need Wittlake to make the junior team again. He was a Cadet world champ.

Weight Class - 79KG:
Dustin Plott (Future Poke) (Junior Division)
Gavin Stika (Junior Division)
Joe Smith
Alex Dieringer
Chance Marsteller

Ringer is up a weight and it's perfect timing for him to make a run at the senior team. Kyle Dake decided to go back down to 74KG and challenge Jordan Burroughs for his spot on the world team this summer. So this is Ringer's chance to finally push and make the senior team. He's been in an odd position for a few years now... as he's one of the 5 best wrestlers at 74KG or 79KG, but has two in front of him in Burroughs and Dake that he just can't beat. Strong chance that Ringer makes the senior team here and gets a gold at world's... which would be huge for Cowboy RTC. Especially if Fix can also make the team. Also, JO has been hanging out in Stillwater a lot so he might be on his way back to train with Cowboy RTC.

Weight Class - 86KG:
Bear Hughes
Chandler Rogers

Chandler represented the US in Freestyle at the Pan-Am Games last week and won the tournament, so he registered for the Open in freestyle as well. Both of these guys are also participating in Greco. Bear made the senior world team for Greco last season. Would love to see Chandler have a great senior level career.

Weight Class - 97KG:
Konner Doucet (future Poke) (Junior Division)
Austin Harris (Junior Division)

Doucet making the junior team would be huge but he's still competing with Braxton Amos and AJ Ferrari at this weight so idk if he'll be able to pull that off... but hopefully we also have Ferrari or Amos on the "future Poke" list soon. I don't know much about Austin Harris, but if he has a strong showing here at Greco or Freestyle may be an indicator to his future intentions. 213lbs may mean he is looking to bulk to be the heavyweight for this season... which would be nice.

Weight Class - 125KG:
Cornelius Putnam
Derek White

Derek must have found out that cutting back down to 97KG was going to be a tough task... he may be really freaking good at this weight in freestyle. It's a tough field, so this could be another interesting one to watch. Same for Putnam as with Harris... strong showing here might be an indicator to what we are doing with heavyweight next season.
I'm really hoping for 4 members for both divisions.
Wittlake - tough bracket with lots of d1 wrestlers in it
Plott - main competition is Brooks for Penn State
Fix - hopefully he can pull through this year
JO - should be interesting with Yianni D and Zain, but I think he takes it
Ringer will probably win the open but he still has Dake in final x (he accepted his invite to final x at 79kg)

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
So I got some things wrong here...

US Open winner gets a bye to the finals of World Team Trials. From there they'll wrestle in Final X.

Kyle Dake didn't move down after all... so Ringer is still going to have to beat him to make the world team.

Dec 6, 2016
Oklahoma City
Winners of the open get a bye to final x if there isn't a returning world medalist (57, 65, etc). So this could be big for daton and JO to win here.

It would be awesome for the cowboy rtc to get more money or whatever to get some of our previous wrestlers like JO and bring them home (he's been training here with the cowboys for the last few weeks)

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
Yeah this weekend is huge for Cowboy RTC and the program. If we can get Fix and JO onto the senior freestyle team that would be a big help. Ringer could do it as well... although I'm not super confident about him beating Dake... Then add Chandler to the Greco senior team. Mastrogiavanni, Wittlake and Plott making the junior team would be huge too.

I'm pretty pumped. It's been a while since we've had a guy on the senior team representing the US and the Pokes. Having success this summer could help with the Ferrari and/or Amos recruitment as well.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
Ok so here are the results so far...

Junior Greco Results:
97KG - Austin Harris - 2nd

Senior Greco Results:
82KG - Chandler Rogers - Wrestling for 3rd
87KG - Bear Hughes - knocked out in second round of consi quarters

Senior Freestyle Results:
57KG - Daton Fix - first round win by tech
57KG - Eddie Klimara - first round win by tech
65KG - Dean Heil - first round win by tech
70KG - Anthony Collica - first round win by tech
70KG - Josh Kindig - first round win by tech

A lot of guys have first round byes.

Will update when I can. To be frank, freestyle scoring goes a little above my head.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
And Chandler Rogers finishes 3rd in the Greco tournament!

He had already qualified for Word Team Trials for both Greco and Freestyle, so we will see how he does. Would love to see him make that Greco team.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
A couple of huge matchups here in the Round of 16.

Eddie Klimara is taking on former NCAA champ Nathan Tomasello.

Nick Piccinnini is taking on former NCAA champ Darian Cruz.

Dean Heil is taking on Joey McKenna. McKenna couldn't ever beat Dean on the college level, but traditionally has been a better freestyle wrestler.

Wyatt Sheets had to wrestle returning world team member James Green in his first match... it did not go well.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
Man... I'm sorry guys, this is just not super easy to keep up with as they just burn through these bouts.

In the quarterfinals on the championship side of men's freestyle...

57KG:
Daton Fix vs. Vito Arujau (Cornell)

65KG:
Jordan Oliver vs. Henderson (no idea)
Dean Heil vs. Jaydin Eierman (Mizzou)

70KG:
Anthony Collica vs. James Green (Nebraska)

79KG:
Alex Dieringer vs. Mitch Finesilver (Duke)

125KG:
Derek White vs. Tanner Hall (Arizona State)

Last edited:

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
Alright semifinals for later tonight so far...

57KG:
Thomas Gilman (Iowa) vs. Nathan Tomasello (Ohio State)
Darian Cruz (Lehigh) vs. Daton Fix (Oklahoma State)

60KG:
Nico Megaludis (Penn State) vs. Corey Clark (Iowa)
Cody Brewery (Oklahoma) vs. Joey Palmer (Oregon State)

65KG:
Jordan Oliver (Oklahoma State) vs. Yianni D. (Cornell)
Jaydin Eierman (Mizzou) vs. Zain Retherford (Penn State)

70KG:
James Green (Nebraska) vs. Jason Nolf (Penn State)
Alex Pantaleo (Michigan) vs. Ryan Deakin (Northwestern)

74KG:
Isaiah Martinez (Illinois) vs. Brian Murphy (Michigan)
Anthony Valencia (Arizona State) vs. Thomas Gantt (NC State)

79KG:
Alex Dieringer (Oklahoma State) vs. Geno Morelli (Penn State)
Chance Marsteller (Lock Haven) vs. Stacey Davis (NC State)

86KG:
Sam Brooks (Iowa) vs. Nick Heflin (Ohio State)
Pat Downey (Iowa State) vs. Myles Martin (Ohio State)

92KG:
Hayden Zillmer (North Dakota State) vs. Kolin Moore (Ohio State)
Mike Machiavello (NC State) vs. Bo Nickel (Penn State)

97KG:
Kevin Godson (Iowa State) vs. Michael Boykin (NC State)
Ben Honis (Cornell) vs. Ty Walz (Virginia Tech)

125KG:
Adam Coon (Michigan) vs. Derek White (Oklahoma State)
Tony Nelson (Minnesota) vs. Dom Bradley (Missouri)

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
Wyatt Sheets having a huge go in the consolations today! Beat Max Thomsen, who is a damn good All-American out of Northern Iowa, and also the future wonder boy at 157 from Penn State, Jared Verkleeren.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
Ringer and Fix both won the US Open. Daton pretty handily beat Gilman. You can tell he's quite a bit stronger. Huge to punch his ticket to Final X in Lincoln!

Ringer will be waiting for his challenger at WTT finals. He's on a tear. Hopefully he can finally get over the Dake hump.

Mastrogiavanni, Wittlake, Plott, and Harris are in the finals for juniors coming up shortly.

Jun 23, 2009
New York
just read this thread, really cool story about Ramos wanting to be a Poke. Pretty surprising as he seemed like a natural born Hawkeye and was a perfect fit there (until they stuck it up his a$$), but boy would he have been nice to have in our lineup!