Wuhan Coronavirus

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
Meanwhile the flu kills an estimated half a million a year, every year. But the flu doesn't generate viewers and clicks the way a shiny new disease does so the media is going to cover the new one. Pretty sure the Corona virus won't be as bad as the prognosticators are prognosticating.

sc5mu93

WeaselMonkey
A/V Subscriber
Oct 18, 2006
Spring, TX
I will say Netflix's Pandemic series is exacerbating my fear. It also makes me hate anti-vaxers even more than I already do. The show's producers do a segment on a House Bill in Oregon that requires people to vax if they want to attend public schools. The producers/editors give the viewer the impression that GOP state congressional delegation left the state to kill the vax bill, when in fact they left the state because of Oregon HB2020 which was a cap and trade scheme for climate change.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
I will say Netflix's Pandemic series is exacerbating my fear. It also makes me hate anti-vaxers even more than I already do. The show's producers do a segment on a House Bill in Oregon that requires people to vax if they want to attend public schools. The producers/editors give the viewer the impression that GOP state congressional delegation left the state to kill the vax bill, when in fact they left the state because of Oregon HB2020 which was a cap and trade scheme for climate change.
That would be enough for me to stop watching it.

Pokit N

Cashing Checks & Snapping Necks!
A/V Subscriber
Sep 29, 2006
South Elgin, IL
Over the weekend I bought a shit load (by shit load I mean probably 2 weeks worth) of long lasting food and put it in storage...I"m going to talk to my electrician buddy to get my house set up to run off of a couple of generators. This whole virus thing was just the nudge I needed to send me down a prepper rabbit hole......

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
You are correct that this is nothing like ebola. It is very similar to SARS, another novel coronavirus. But based on current data SARS was more contagious (R0 2-5) and had a higher case fatality rate (15%).
The telling part is what was learned from the SARS outbreak which was an overwhelming success. SARS had an R0 high enough to cause a pandemic but was isolated and stopped, despite lack of transparency from the Chinese government. That seems to be improved this time. Saying that the CDC is not saying anything because the Chinese have "cut off the flow of information" is not even close to true as the Chinese are saying far more than in the past. And, with SARS, the Chinese did not flow information yet the CDC did warn.

Of course this has the potential to become something serious but the hyperbole out there is not based on what is known it is based on what is feared.
I don’t have all the links but Drudge has a good section on it. The Gates foundation has a simulation of over 60,000,000 deaths. There’s a story from the Chinese that the RO is at 3.8. Almost 8x more virulent than the flu. The videos coming out of the epicenter after the quarantine are scary AF. If true and not hoaxes that is. The videos of the drs and nurses overworked are heart wrenching. Like mentioned earlier, I don’t trust the Chinese government on this. Actions are louder than words. Universities are all closed now. The biggest celebration of the year is cancelled. While I’m not plumping my dogs up yet, I’m concerned.

Bowers2

Stackin' Joe's Cups
A/V Subscriber
Jul 31, 2006
Edmond
Over the weekend I bought a shit load (by shit load I mean probably 2 weeks worth) of long lasting food and put it in storage...I"m going to talk to my electrician buddy to get my house set up to run off of a couple of generators. This whole virus thing was just the nudge I needed to send me down a prepper rabbit hole......
I just stocked up on about a month's worth of Corona Extra.

Donnyboy

Lettin' the high times carry the low....
A/V Subscriber
Oct 31, 2005
This is about the 10th plague that was going to kill us all.....yet we are all still here. Some folks will die cause thats what folks do when they are sick. It won't be anywhere near the doomsday bullshit they are throwing around.

SLVRBK

Johnny 8ball's PR Manager
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Oct 16, 2003
Katy, TX
I don’t have all the links but Drudge has a good section on it. The Gates foundation has a simulation of over 60,000,000 deaths. There’s a story from the Chinese that the RO is at 3.8. Almost 8x more virulent than the flu. The videos coming out of the epicenter after the quarantine are scary AF. If true and not hoaxes that is. The videos of the drs and nurses overworked are heart wrenching. Like mentioned earlier, I don’t trust the Chinese government on this. Actions are louder than words. Universities are all closed now. The biggest celebration of the year is cancelled. While I’m not plumping my dogs up yet, I’m concerned.
So, not as bad as the Spanish Flu in 1918-1919. It killed 50-100 million when global population was below 2 billion.

jetman

Federal Marshal
Nov 27, 2004
Edmond Oklahoma
My coworker that is in China right now is stuck there and not allowed to come back. He was supposed to come back at the end of last week. I don't know what city he is in, but it's one of the huge ones. He and his wife are staying with her family in a high rise apartment building. He skyped with another person here at work and showed them the view off the balcony during the day and the town is a ghost town with no one on the streets.

OSUCowboy787

Territorial Marshal
Dec 31, 2008
Keller, Texas
My coworker that is in China right now is stuck there and not allowed to come back. He was supposed to come back at the end of last week. I don't know what city he is in, but it's one of the huge ones. He and his wife are staying with her family in a high rise apartment building. He skyped with another person here at work and showed them the view off the balcony during the day and the town is a ghost town with no one on the streets.
Feel like China is hiding something. Bet this thing gets a lot worse here soon.