Wuhan Coronavirus

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
Is it possible that is a function of only testing those with sever symptoms and not testing those who have a mild form or recover?
That is what the Govt is telling us to do here..don't get tested unless you have symptoms.
That is not true in all countries so I guess we do not really know.
I think that is the reason you always see the estimated mortality rate of pandemics...we will never know exactly how many had it and didn't with anything like these

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
As more cases have been reported world wide Currently 576,859 the death rate has increased from 3.4% to 4.6% globally.
That is not favorable seeing as it took 67 days to get the first 100K confirmed positive and just 3 days to go from 400K to 500K
Is it possible that is a function of only testing those with sever symptoms and not testing those who have a mild form or recover?
In colorado they are (reportedly) only testing those needing out-of-home medical attention. Have two friends that have all the symptoms but are not requiring out-of-home medical attention. Neither qualified for a test.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
That is what the Govt is telling us to do here..don't get tested unless you have symptoms.
I think that is the reason you always see the estimated mortality rate of pandemics...we will never know exactly how many had it and didn't with anything like these
Actually, I believe in many cases they won’t test unless you need medical attention.

osupsycho

MAXIMUM EFFORT!!!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla
I have a coworker that was told not even to worry about getting tested. They just said based on his symptoms and the fact that his dad tested positive that he has it. Wonder if people like that get counted in the released counts?

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
In colorado they are (reportedly) only testing those needing out of hone medical attention. Have two friends that have all the symptoms but are not requiring out-of-home medical attention. Neither qualified for a test.

I have a friend who is an ER doctor here in OK. She had a girl in her ER who was early 20's who had just come back from a ski trip to Italy and had all the symptoms but she could not test her because she didn't need to be hospitalized and she wasn't in a high risk category

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
I have a coworker that was told not even to worry about getting tested. They just said based on his symptoms and the fact that his dad tested positive that he has it. Wonder if people like that get counted in the released counts?
My understanding is they are not counted.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
I don't think Private labs are required to share their numbers with the Govt either, but the CDC and Trump has been urging them too so they know actual numbers

Feb 7, 2007
Denver
In colorado they are (reportedly) only testing those needing out of hone medical attention. Have two friends that have all the symptoms but are not requiring out-of-home medical attention. Neither qualified for a test.
Yeah, I have heard first hand from a few people that were sick tested negative for the Flu but were refused CV tests. Both in the Denver area.

I also know someone from Jeff Co (county that borders Denver) who just passed away. He was sick in early March after a work trip. Went to the doc and tested negative to the Flu. Told to go home and isolate. Got worse and went back in. Tested positive, was put on a ventilator, fought for a week but passed away a few days ago.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
Next Baby Boom happening now?

World's largest condom supplier said they are facing a 100 million condom shortfall world wide due to huge increase in demand after countries begin implementing lock downs

jetman

Federal Marshal
Nov 27, 2004
Edmond Oklahoma
Yeah, I have heard first hand from a few people that were sick tested negative for the Flu but were refused CV tests. Both in the Denver area.

I also know someone from Jeff Co (county that borders Denver) who just passed away. He was sick in early March after a work trip. Went to the doc and tested negative to the Flu. Told to go home and isolate. Got worse and went back in. Tested positive, was put on a ventilator, fought for a week but passed away a few days ago.
How old?

Mar 11, 2006
Thanks for asking!

First, to make sure we are on the same page. Here is my original post about Stitt a few days ago...

It kind of answers your question in terms of what I thought at the time Stitt could have done differently to cover himself politically in the case he had to backtrack due to an uptick in deaths and cases.

As for thoughts on measures, I think response time was critically lacking here. I mean, Stitt was even more bullish than Trump on ignoring the seriousness and highly contagious nature of the virus and what it could potentially do to the local health care systems. Especially those in rural communities where supplies are already severely lacking. And again, while numbers at the time in OK didn't seem to be so startling that mandatory restrictions needed to be issued, just as a precaution, working back channels to locate and transport basic medical gear to protect his health care workers in the case of a medical catastrophe would have been something I think a responsible leader would have done. Especially when other ares of the US were already experiencing these issues. Instead Stitt was almost gleefully going against the social distancing advice of experts and posted a picture on instagram of his family eating in a packed restaurant. A picture he later deleted.

This will be hard to tell, but I do think had he come out with a stronger message to cut down on community spread the numbers of new cases and deaths would be lessened. By how much, who is to say. However, as many doctors and experts have tried to explain, I am a believer that the numbers we are seeing today are at least two weeks behind the infection rate. Or in other words, those people that have been exposed in the last week to the virus will not be accounted for until symptoms present themselves and they are tested in April. So if those numbers rise at a rate similar to other Mid-Western/Southern, i.e. Louisiana, I think it is fair for Stitt to should some of that blame, especially if you start to see their care hampered by lack of equipment and healthy personnel.

But the article is really more about Bristow and the efforts of the community leaders around the state. I will post it since there is a paywall.
okay, a breakdown of your thoughts on Stitt.

1) should have health care supplies earlier: Has there been a bigger problem with this than in other areas? I am not in the medical field, but from any of those that I know in OK mentioning that.

2) Going against social distancing: His photo was designed to promote supporting local businesses. I think that is vital for a Gov.

3) Tulsa and OKC: both Mayors closed restaurants and bars early. (btw, I am not a fan of either Bynum or Holt - both massive grandstanders IMO). So Stitt doing same command statewide didn’t do much difference for this cities and others that already acted.

I agree it is too early to get definitive data if severe lockdowns work better than states that have been more lax. But currently if you compare growth of known cases and death due to virus by state, Oklahoma is certainly not an outlier. And in fact, has lower than average per thousand citizens.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO

If you roughly figure only 20% (?) need hospitalization or medical treatment, that means 80% of the likely infected are not showing up in the numbers as a positive test.

Now, my numbers may be off, maybe even by a lot, but the point is the death rate as a percentage of total infected has got to be MUCH smaller than the reported numbers indicate.

NotOnTV

BRB -- Taking an okie leak
Sep 14, 2010
Gondor
Shhhhh...it doesn't fit the narrative. Being deceptive by showing exponential upcurves when increase in testing has been exponential? Pshaw!!

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Yes but the younger people are also infecting more people than any other age group, last update I saw was they were infecting over 2 people each. Thus they should be more concerned about transmitting than actually suffering from it.
So how do you know they are not concerned? Did you ask them? Were they coming close to you in the store ... and if so, why didn’t you walk around them or go the other way. Just about every time I have been out to a Home Depot, Walmart, or the grocery stores nearly everyone is practicing social distancing.

I hope no one on this board supports the a-hole who tweeted a picture to Mayor Holt of four people playing volleyball outside.

Some of you need to think about situations of others, Mothers may not have someone else they trust to watch their kid. They might not have an option to leave the children with someone. Or they may not feel safe, health wise, to have others come over. Some of you people shock me with your self-righteousness. I realize you are nervous, but think about others.
Honestly, I've seen groups of both parents with kids, multiple times. It's unnecessary.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk