1-5 vs. B12 Teams .500 or worse

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
This is what killed the season.

Corndog in those games: 110/207 (53%), 1511 yds. passing=251/game, 25 pts./game.

If a guy going 17/40 for 181 doesn't merit at least a series or two with another QB, what in the world would?

Nov 6, 2010
Strangest year ever. I quit blaming Cornelius though, just seems our team has serious motivation issues. I've never seen a team so capable of playing with anyone and literally losing to anyone. I seriously think if this team played Bama, they'd have a chance. But if we played Tulsa, I'd take the Hurricane.

Sep 8, 2014
The back 40
Strangest year ever. I quit blaming Cornelius though, just seems our team has serious motivation issues. I've never seen a team so capable of playing with anyone and literally losing to anyone. I seriously think if this team played Bama, they'd have a chance. But if we played Tulsa, I'd take the Hurricane.
Literally told my wife the same thing today

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
How many times did Gundy himself blame poor preparation or game plans for our losses this season?

Answer: Way too many.

Feb 7, 2009
Disappointing season. I can't remember a team like this one that played up to, or down to, the level of competition. I expect the Pokes to easily win their bowl game and end the season on a positive note.

Nov 30, 2015
Broken Arrow
The coaching staff really needs to take some heat for this season. If you would have told me before the season started we would beat Boise State, Texas, ans West Virginia, and only lose to OU by 1 point, I would have believed we'd be a 1 or 2 loss team and playing in the Big XII Championship next Saturday.

KSU, Baylor, and TCU were such egregious losses. Tech isn't too bad when Bowman was their starter, but it doesn't excuse getting ran off our own field and not scoring at all in the 2nd half.

Feb 27, 2018
Tulsa
www.tulsaworld.com
From Mark Cooper...

“It’s crazy,” Gundy said, “how we can play one week and then the next week we don’t play very well. We just don’t push through it when things don’t go well early. We just don’t really push through it. That toughness. We have to develop that as an organization and get it back to where it used to be.”

When a team has a year like Oklahoma State’s 2018 season, there will always be an abundance of analysis and contemplation to follow. The Cowboys went 3-1 as an underdog, beating Texas and West Virginia and coming within a point of making it a perfect 4-0 against Oklahoma. They went 3-5 as a favorite, boggling the minds and wringing the hands of their supporters by losing to struggling or decimated teams like Kansas State, Baylor and, on Saturday, TCU. In total, it’s a 6-6 record, meaning OSU will have to win a bowl game against an unfamiliar — and at this point, unknown — opponent to preserve a 12th consecutive winning season.

Defensive coordinator Jim Knowles, who has spent the last 30 years in the coaching profession and many years before it as a player, seemed astonished after the 31-24 loss about the reality of this year.

“For us to beat a couple top-10 teams and be a play away from another one and then lose to teams that I feel we’re as good as, at least, it’s different,” he said. “It’s different than anything I’ve been involved with. What it does is it gives you, it’s harder, really, because it gives you that taste, like, ‘Hey, we can do this. We can beat anybody in the country. But not if we don’t play our best for every single play.’”

jetman

Federal Marshal
Nov 27, 2004
Edmond Oklahoma
CFN's Big 12 coaching rankings:

10. GARY PATTERSON, TCU (10)
9. DAVID BEATTY, KANSAS (9)
8. BILL SNYDER, KANSAS STATE (8)
7. MIKE GUNDY, OKLAHOMA STATE (7)
6. KLIFF KINGSBURY, TEXAS TECH (5)

RELATED
Hot Seat Coach Rankings After Week 11: Who Needs To Win RIGHT NOW?
5. MATT RHULE, BAYLOR (6)
4. TOM HERMAN, TEXAS (4)
3. MATT CAMPBELL, IOWA STATE (3)
2. DANA HOLGORSEN, WEST VIRGINIA (2)
1. LINCOLN RILEY, OKLAHOMA (1)
I mean a couple of those yeah....but a lot of it is ludicrous. Who came up with that? A random message board poster?

RutherfordFan

Federal Marshal
Feb 5, 2008
Oklahoma City
I wouldn't go that far but I get your point. Tulsa sucks hard.

RutherfordFan

Federal Marshal
Feb 5, 2008
Oklahoma City
The coaching staff really needs to take some heat for this season. If you would have told me before the season started we would beat Boise State, Texas, ans West Virginia, and only lose to OU by 1 point, I would have believed we'd be a 1 or 2 loss team and playing in the Big XII Championship next Saturday.

KSU, Baylor, and TCU were such egregious losses. Tech isn't too bad when Bowman was their starter, but it doesn't excuse getting ran off our own field and not scoring at all in the 2nd half.
Terrible coaching job this year. Horrible!! Gotta see something next year. I think Yurcich should be fired but whatever. The problem may be Gundy. He's gotten soft and complacent.

Nov 18, 2010
I still think Gundy is a very good/excellent coach--maybe the best OSU has ever had. But I agree with others that it looked like he was trying to prove a point with the QB stuff this year. It looked like he was afraid Sanders or someone else might come out and play well and that would create a QB controversy...and expose him to second guessing about his 'good story' senior QB.

There were plenty of games where a back up QB was warranted...or necessary to give us a chance to win. At the very least, why not give your future QB's a few snaps in those early blowout wins? You've got 4 free games...wtf?

Gundy has earned the benefit of the doubt from me, but the way the QB stuff was handled this year changed the way I see him. I'm not ready to believe he'd put his ego, or a grudge, before the team's success just yet....but that idea is now in my head.

Feb 27, 2018
Tulsa
www.tulsaworld.com
From Bill Haisten...

At the end of the 2014 Oklahoma State football regular season, the record was 6-6.

While .500 epitomizes “average,” it was hailed by Cowboy fans having been a SIX!-and-6 success.

Victory No. 6 was one for the ages. A five-game losing streak ended with a dramatic, improbable, can’t-believe-OU-punted-again Bedlam triumph in Norman. OSU followed with a Cactus Bowl conquest of Washington and finished 7-6.

The 2018 OSU regular season ended with Saturday’s no-show performance at TCU. Reportedly, 34 TCU players have missed at least four games this season because of injuries. Against those chewed-up Horned Frogs, the Cowboys trailed 24-3.

OSU eventually did decide to participate, but a flurry of three touchdowns wasn’t enough. TCU won 31-24 and secured bowl eligibility.

These Cowboys also are 6-6, but it’s not a celebrated 6-6.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
I would argue that had we won Bedlam and lost to Texas (which is basically identical to the season we had), our fan base would be less upset...granted either way is bad to go out losing to TCU, but beating our rival would have made some feel better about the season...They just don't see wins over Texas and WVU as being as good as ones over ou...maybe rightfully so? Anyway, just a random thought. Win that TCU game and the bowl and we would have had 8 wins and most would have accepted that in a rebuilding year...but man...that TCU game.:facepalm:

Last edited: