2018 Bracketology Tracker

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site
We looked good for a bit but, as we approach where we were preseason projected to finish, it's looking more and more like those were fluke wins instead of a sustainable trend.

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk
Actually our performance in conference has been consistent all year. One game out in the loss column of both 5th and 10th place. That's just the way this conference is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cowboyethics344

Federal Marshal
Apr 2, 2008
Mike Boynton is doing excellent. He is one good point guard like a Evans from taking this team to a top 10 team. He is coaching like a mad man and has wins against quality opponents without having a elite PG. We will be lights out once he gets a full roster. If you don’t see that after tonight’s win then you are smoking the peace pipe.

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
In the Boondocks in Creek County, Oklahoma
MB isn't going anywhere right now. There is just no possible way that Holder is going to fire him after one season, no way. He'll get at least another season, if not two more. Honestly, I don't know what to think of him yet. He has shown flashes of being a good coach but it's also quite obvious that he is inexperienced. If he can land a good guard to close out this class then we'll see how good he is next year and I'll personally have a better feel for him then. If he can't land a good guard to close out this class, well that will be a problem because if he can't bring in the recruits, it won't matter if he can coach or not. I hope he succeeds because I like him as a person.
He needs not only a guard but also a big, probably a JUCO. We have two spots to fill.

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
In the Boondocks in Creek County, Oklahoma
We looked good for a bit but, as we approach where we were preseason projected to finish, it's looking more and more like those were fluke wins instead of a sustainable trend.

What were you saying about fluke wins? He has wins against the top three teams in the conference.

Dec 24, 2008
Saint Meinrad, IN / Edmond, OK

What were you saying about fluke wins? He has wins against the top three teams in the conference.
Beating Tech in a confident way does make things feel less fluky...but if we turn around and get embarrassed by Texas then we will continue to feel unreliable.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Quite the overreaction here. He's already exceed expectations, as both the coaches and media picked us to finish dead last this season in the conference. In fact, only 1 of the other 9 Big 12 coaches predicted that we would not finish last in the conference (that coached picked us at 9th).
http://www.big12sports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=10410&ATCLID=211673576
View attachment 58994

Likewise, Sports Illustrated picked us to finish last with a conference record of 5-13.
https://www.si.com/college-basketball/2017/10/23/big-12-preview-projections-rankings-standings
View attachment 58995

Given the hand he was dealt, Coach Boynton has done an excellent job this season. At this early point in his career, it's absurd to think that "he may not be the right guy."
Those same people picked Tech to finish 7th. We are one spot above last place with the potential to finish last still there. I have seen enough of our kids playing to know that they are more hampered by coaching than by talent.

I do believe that Mike Boyton will grow and maybe some day become a solid power 5 head coach. He can do his growing elsewhere for lesser stakes.
Still an over reaction on your part. I don't think you get it.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
That is absurd. NO ONE on our roster would be part of the starting five of any team in the B12 except possibly being one of Trae's minions at OU or at ISU. Quite frankly, only 2-4 would see much in the way of PT at all. Our talent is significantly lacking and to say otherwise overtly shows an underlying bias.
Carrol would start for every team.
Solomon would start for all but TX
Shine would start for most if healthy
Mcgriff would play significant minutes
Smith would play significant minutes and start for several teams
Waters would play for most teams.
Averette would play for most teams.
Sima would play for most teams.

You don't blame inconsistency on the players.. that is on the coach. I will admit that I have an underlying bias for our players (as every OSU fan should) you obviously have an underlying bias for coach Boyton. I've defended him all season but I just can't do it anymore. The TCU game was ridiculously bad coaching, Jamie Dixon would have won that game with either group of players and Boyton would have lost it with either group. Like it or not that is the type of coach we face every game and we look like the one legged man at the a$$ kicking contest.
I agree with you that our players are good enough that they would get playing time other places but I have to disagree with you about the inconsistency comment. Seriously these kids are inconsistent in their shot selection and their ability to make the shots. When you go up for a layup and you can't even make the layups clean when no defenders around you, you're the problem not the coach.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Those same people picked Tech to finish 7th. We are one spot above last place with the potential to finish last still there. I have seen enough of our kids playing to know that they are more hampered by coaching than by talent.

I do believe that Mike Boyton will grow and maybe some day become a solid power 5 head coach. He can do his growing elsewhere for lesser stakes.
How did you go from former supporter to calling for his job? Just because of the TCU game? Seems like a crazy dramatic switch.

I think the point everyone is trying to make is, we arent really sure what we have with HCMB. Not a lot of coaches, especially the ones who were available to take over the program this year, could have fared much better. We do not really have that player who can break down a defense and get us a bucket when things are not going our way.

I am in wait and see mode with Boynton. But, this season will definitely not make me call for his job. If he lands Courtney Ramey in addition to Michael Weathers becoming eligible and Curtis Jones transferring in - he might really have something next year.

I do not want to be patient anymore than anybody else does right now - I love the basketball program more than any other program at OSU - but, right now, we do not have another option than patience. Bill Self isnt walking through that door. At least, not for a while.
Wouldn't want Self with his attitude and now their potential legal issues. KU is an adiddas school, and at the start of the FBI investigation they had every piece of electronics removed from their athletic offices.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
MB isn't going anywhere right now. There is just no possible way that Holder is going to fire him after one season, no way. He'll get at least another season, if not two more. Honestly, I don't know what to think of him yet. He has shown flashes of being a good coach but it's also quite obvious that he is inexperienced. If he can land a good guard to close out this class then we'll see how good he is next year and I'll personally have a better feel for him then. If he can't land a good guard to close out this class, well that will be a problem because if he can't bring in the recruits, it won't matter if he can coach or not. I hope he succeeds because I like him as a person.
From what I can see holder would be even more of an idiot than everybody thinks if he fired him after 1 year. With the way the boys are doing he has the chance to be at least second potentially first in running for big 12 Coach of the year.

MustangPokeFan

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2005
Mustang, Ok
www.newshoesband.net
If we can get to 18 wins its going to be REAL hard for the committee to keep us out of the tourney. We have WAY too many signature wins on our resume.
I don't know about 18 wins. 19 or 20 and we're in business I think.
If we get to 18 wins regular season it means at a minimum we either swept Texas or swept KU during our final three games. That along with beating the top three teams in the league is a pretty strong argument. An Iowa State loss would not help our efforts but beat Iowa State and win either against Texas or KU then I do think we go ahead of OU for consideration. If we win two of the next three and even one game in the Big 12 Tourney I think we’re in......

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
I just checked ESPN, apparently updated today. They still have ou in as a lock, but have both KSU and BU as last four byes and Texas as last four out. So KSU who is tied for 3rd and ou who is tied for 7th are both a 10 seed in Lunardi's opinion. I honestly think these "experts" just don't know what to make of the Big 12 this year. Literally any team can beat any team, there may be conferences with better good teams but there are no other conferences as strong at the bottom as the Big 12 is. Lunardi does have KU as a 1 seed so maybe that's his way of saying the team that wins this conference deserves some recognition.

We may have more 9 through 13 seeds this year than the conference has ever had before. KU, Tech and WVU will probably all get high seeds but the rest just have so many losses that they are going to be dropped some. 2 weeks ago, I though it would be impossible for ou to miss the tournament, 1 week ago, I though it was impossible for OSU to get in to the tourney. Now neither of those is certain. I think ou skates in on Young's hype with 2 more wins total, either regular season or conf tourney (possibly even with just 1 more win). I think OSU needs two more regular season wins and probably 1 in the conf tourney as well.

Maybe, IF we can beat Texas on Saturday, Lunardi would move us up to last four out and move texas out of it completely. But who knows what to expect from this team. Go Pokes.

Mar 1, 2005
Enid, Oklahoma
Our biggest problem is the RPI. Currently in the 90’s, despite the great wins. Too many of our non-con wins are against the bottom of the barrel of D-I. Yes, we’ve beat 5 Top-25’s, but too many Mississippi Valley State’s on the schedule.

IMO, the only game you can slip up is UT. Have to beat ISU (bad) and KU (good) for RPI reasons.

RutherfordFan

Federal Marshal
Feb 5, 2008
Oklahoma City
If we can get to 18 wins its going to be REAL hard for the committee to keep us out of the tourney. We have WAY too many signature wins on our resume.
People if we get 2 more wins in Big 12. Not saying we will cuz it's a tall order. IF, big if, then we need to flood sports animal with calls and ESPN. Let them know one starter, Shine was out two weeks. Against Arkansas and 3 other big 12 losses. Shines injury should be taken into account and 5 top 25 wins. If we win two more this team has earned a tourney bid.

RutherfordFan

Federal Marshal
Feb 5, 2008
Oklahoma City
I just checked ESPN, apparently updated today. They still have ou in as a lock, but have both KSU and BU as last four byes and Texas as last four out. So KSU who is tied for 3rd and ou who is tied for 7th are both a 10 seed in Lunardi's opinion. I honestly think these "experts" just don't know what to make of the Big 12 this year. Literally any team can beat any team, there may be conferences with better good teams but there are no other conferences as strong at the bottom as the Big 12 is. Lunardi does have KU as a 1 seed so maybe that's his way of saying the team that wins this conference deserves some recognition.

We may have more 9 through 13 seeds this year than the conference has ever had before. KU, Tech and WVU will probably all get high seeds but the rest just have so many losses that they are going to be dropped some. 2 weeks ago, I though it would be impossible for ou to miss the tournament, 1 week ago, I though it was impossible for OSU to get in to the tourney. Now neither of those is certain. I think ou skates in on Young's hype with 2 more wins total, either regular season or conf tourney (possibly even with just 1 more win). I think OSU needs two more regular season wins and probably 1 in the conf tourney as well.

Maybe, IF we can beat Texas on Saturday, Lunardi would move us up to last four out and move texas out of it completely. But who knows what to expect from this team. Go Pokes.
OU has to get two more big 12 wins to get into tourney. Just like we do. OU really doesn't deserve a bid at this point. Losing 9 of last 11. In years past they would be out already.