2020 Cowboy Baseball

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

OstatePokes

Territorial Marshal
Aug 24, 2007
Knoxville, Tennessee
As we look ahead to next season there are a couple questions I have.

• For season ticket holders how will we get to choose seats in O'Brate stadium?
  • Will O'Brate stadium be ready for February?
  • Which regulars will we lose?
    • Graduation
      • Simpson, Lienhard, Funk, Carter
    • Draft
      • Elliot, Basso, Boone, Gragg, Lyons, and Battenfield all seem likely to go pro
      • Any chance Navigato comes back?
  • Which incoming players will we lose to the draft?
    • Hopefully Rascon will be the only one we lose
We will definitely lose some talent, but the cupboards aren't bare. If Stone can come back healthy and ready to roll, we could have a great weekend staff of Stone, Scott, and Standlee. If Leeper can take the next step and become a shutdown closer that would be a good start to having a dangerous team.

Dec 21, 2008
You think Gragg and BField leave? I could see Gragg as a starter. If he cleans up location, he throws pretty darn hard.

Boone is maxed out I don’t think he can do any better, Jenson coming off a surgery and Basso having like 10 innings I see them all leaving. Lyons I’m not sure, they could make him a starter which gives him more upside?

Lot of young pitchers who didn’t throw much, will be curious to see how they develop and throw in the preseason. Jake projected to be starting catcher?

Aug 24, 2015
Houston
Well Jensen has already said he is gone this morning. I think Boone, Battenfield, Lyons, Basso are all fore sure gone. The only ones I question are Gragg and Navigato, now we just wait and see.

Aug 24, 2015
Houston
Also I would not just all of sudden pencil Taylor in behind the plate. There is a juco kid coming in that is a catcher and a lot of people were very high on the Spiegel kid that came in the last draft class.

Jul 16, 2005
Edmond
You can probably count on one hand how many players in rounds 1 through 10 that do not sign. I don’t imagine Gragg will be any different. He could probably be a fast mover in the bullpen.

Dec 21, 2008
I forgot he went that high I was thinking mid teen rounds. Hope Navi stays! The middle infield turned into a strength 2nd half of the season. He got real comfortable with that back handed scoop and throw on the run. He and Huey look great up the middle.

I’m ready to see more batters hit over .300. What did we end with 2? And one was all around .300 all year

Aug 13, 2005
OKC
When I spoke with the ticket office about buying season tickets for next year they had not agreed on the process of buying season tickets for the new stadium yet. My guess is somehow ticket prices will go up as they had been fairly low at APR. As the stadium will have a Club level, my guess is higher priced ticket buyers will have some priority via Posse Points accrued from all sports.

From what I have been told OSU only has between 100 to 200 season ticket holders, and I believe the closer up seats behind home plate will be substantially higher priced seats rather than given just too prior season ticket holders and could be identified as needing equivalent donation as club level.

Looking like new field may not be ready until midway through the 2020 season and they could option to wait until 2021 to open it.

Aug 1, 2008
They should schedule the grand opening for the home conference opener, that would be ideal. Waiting for 2021 would infuriate me. There’s no reason they can’t get it ready by the middle of March, imo.
Evidently, you do not know how long that it takes to establish turf grass. It's a slow process. Weather the last 2 months, has really cut into needed days to prepare the surface.

Ptak'sNewspaper

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 30, 2004
On Tour with the Gap Band
strikeupthegapband.com
Evidently, you do not know how long that it takes to establish turf grass. It's a slow process. Weather the last 2 months, has really cut into needed days to prepare the surface.

You're right, I'm not a grass expert. Thanks for setting me straight. But, I will say this, field was supposedly going to be ready by mid February. And, the torrential rain has been really only 1 month, not 2. Again, the field should be ready and the stadium having a grand opening at some point during the 2020 season, not 2021.

Matt_bob123

SBC presents Mattbob
Oct 16, 2003
You're right, I'm not a grass expert. Thanks for setting me straight. But, I will say this, field was supposedly going to be ready by mid February. And, the torrential rain has been really only 1 month, not 2. Again, the field should be ready and the stadium having a grand opening at some point during the 2020 season, not 2021.
They were about 75 days behind schedule before the rains came. Which hindered most of the outside work. It’s not just a grass growing issue.

We scheduled some big non-cons Oregon State and Vandy to open O’Brate. If we can open on time, we will.

Ptak'sNewspaper

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 30, 2004
On Tour with the Gap Band
strikeupthegapband.com
They were about 75 days behind schedule before the rains came. Which hindered most of the outside work. It’s not just a grass growing issue.

We scheduled some big non-cons Oregon State and Vandy to open O’Brate. If we can open on time, we will.

What do you think the odds are of that actually happening at this point? Seems pretty low, which kind of stinks.

OstatePokes

Territorial Marshal
Aug 24, 2007
Knoxville, Tennessee

That’s awesome, I thought only Vandy was coming next year! I was planning to come back for that series for sure.

So is it safe to assume Allie P won’t be going anywhere in the next year as a contingency plan?

Aug 13, 2005
OKC
Seemed there was someone posting recently implying that there is more than just delays due to the weather. I don't know if he meant there were funding delays or the cost has gone up from the original plan or if he was implying other reasons for the delays. It seems that the ticket office when I have talked with them there seems to be a very limited volunteering of any information about everything related to season tickets and when the stadium will be ready.

Duke Silver

Find safe haven in a warm bathtub full of my jazz.
A/V Subscriber
Sep 17, 2004
Cozy's Bar
Seemed there was someone posting recently implying that there is more than just delays due to the weather. I don't know if he meant there were funding delays or the cost has gone up from the original plan or if he was implying other reasons for the delays. It seems that the ticket office when I have talked with them there seems to be a very limited volunteering of any information about everything related to season tickets and when the stadium will be ready.
Good lord no.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
I really doubt the ticket office is going to know some of that info. You'd be better off talking to Larry Reece or Mike Holder.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Nov 14, 2010
They will grow the Bermuda at a separate location, then over seed it in late September with a triple blend rye grass.

That's after the Bermuda has rooted and has been cut below the root.

This will happen in a location that is favorable for Bermuda growth

More than likely somewhere in Texas like the Dodgers did.

When the big equipment is off the field they will take the sod they grew at a separate location and put it in a sand base at the root level at and it will look seamless.

Professional teams re sod their fields after almost every major event.

The Cubs re sodded the week before the World Series.

If they re seed again after laying the sod they will lay down turf blankets and the seed will germinate within 5 days and will be playable a week or so after that.

The Bermuda won't need to be rooted until it gets hot enough for the rye grass to die off

By that time it will have been rooted for quite a while.

Last edited:

Rob B.

I'm......Batman.
A/V Subscriber
Aug 13, 2007
Rockin' the GL.
They will grow the Bermuda at a separate location, then over seed it in late September with a triple blend rye grass.

When the big equipment is off the field they will take the sod they grew at a separate location and put it in a sand base at the root level at and it will look seamless.

If they re seed again after laying the sod they will lay down turf blankets and the seed will germinate within 5 days and will be playable a week or so after that.

The Bermuda won't need to be rooted until it gets hot enough for the rye grass to die off

LOL, do you know everything they is to know bout the shrimpin business too Bubba?

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater