1. You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Athlon: Are Mike Gundy's Cowboys true contenders for the College Football Playoff?

Discussion in 'OSU Sports Forum' started by CasperPoke11, Jul 6, 2017.

1. bacowboy

bacowboy Territorial Marshal

• Love Love x 1
  2. Rack

Rack Federal Marshal
    A/V Subscriber

I agree with him...If we lose an unnecessary championship game they will find a way to keep us out regardless...media and market share are king and not fairness. Been around too long not to realize this.

3. llcoolw

llcoolw Sheriff

Is it 4 wins in a row at Texas? Too lazy to look. But I'll be there for number 5(?).

• Like Like x 1
  4. TexanCowboy

TexanCowboy Cowboy

We hold the record for most wins in a row at Austin. I think we are tied with notre dame though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
  5. OSUMIKE17

OSUMIKE17 Property of The Oklahoman and NewsOk.com
    A/V Subscriber

Yeah, sorry but your pessimism based on a past system has nothing to do with this year and this playoff system.

If you honestly believe there is "no way" a one loss OSU team is getting in over a two loss team from another conference then I just don't know what to tell you.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Rack

Rack Federal Marshal
    A/V Subscriber

What I'm saying is that IF we were to lose the championship game (our last game of the year)...They...the committee ...will find a way to leave us out over bigger name (blue blood) schools...just how I see things happening. We fix that by not losing any games...

But yes, IMHO, we won't get the benefit of the doubt in that scenario over an SEC champion Alabama...even if they have two losses...OR a Big 12 Champion OU with two losses to KSU and OSU on the road and a win over us in the final...Just sucks, but IMHO it is reality...and if you have been on this board for any time at all you know I'm far from a pessimist.

In fact, right now, I think we will be favored in all our games, can (and should) win them all and automatically get in.

7. OSUMIKE17

A/V Subscriber

Yeah, that's ridiculous considering you don't even know who the other teams will be that get into the playoff. Washington got in last year. Are they a "blueblood?"

So hypothetically, you're saying if we have one loss and Washington has two that Washington will still definitely get in before we do? That's absurd.
    Again, you're talking about two whole programs to make your point when there are four playoff spots.

You're also making the assumption that OU won't have three losses. Don't forget they go to Ohio State as well.

It's ridiculous to automatically assume that we won't get a playoff spot without considering all of the outside factors that could take place.

8. PrincetonPoke23

PrincetonPoke23 Sheriff
    A/V Subscriber

New coach or not, MG needs to get over the mental block he has against OU. I won't feel confident about that game until we prove that we can beat them on a consistent, or at least more frequent, basis. I see us winning handily in the rest of these games though :pistols::thumbup::osu:

• Like Like x 2
  9. osueepe

osueepe Wrangler

Nightmare scenario- we beat UO regular season with UO already losing to tOSU, but lose to UO in championship game. UO would claim bid to final four because of championship.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. SouthTulsaPoke

SouthTulsaPoke Sheriff

Assuming your probabilities, the odds are almost 20 to 1 against OSU finishing undefeated (4.9% chance of undefeated season).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

11. Rack

Rack Federal Marshal
    A/V Subscriber

So you are telling me there's a chance...;-)

12. Rack

Rack Federal Marshal
    A/V Subscriber

Certainly it's obviously conjecture...and I hope you are correct...but experience tells me that likely we would get bumped for a 2 loss PAC champ USC...not a Washington...A 2 loss Big 10 champ Ohio State...maybe not a Michigan State...a 2 loss ACC champ Florida State...An OU or a Texas with 2 losses if either was to beat us in the Championship game...Just is what it is when you lose the last game of the year and don't win your conference...I'm saying we can't get in with a loss in our conference championship game being that it's the Big 12 and the national media thinks we are the 4th or 5th best conference at best...if that loss was to occur in our title game...time will tell and I hope we win them all (especially that last one) and don't have to even worry.

Btw, it's way to early to discuss this stuff...Beat Tulsa!!

13. OSUMIKE17

A/V Subscriber

So you're saying we won't get in if a very specific and small amount of teams end up with a very specific and small amount of losses.

And this is the foregone conclusion of what is going to happen if we end up with a single loss the CCG.

Sure, guy. Sure.

14. SLVRBK

SLVRBK Johnny 8ball's PR Manager
    Staff A/V Subscriber

Championships will matter to the selection committee again.

• Like Like x 1
  15. OSUMIKE17

A/V Subscriber

I'm not saying they won't necessarily, just saying that another loss or two may weigh heavier.

It shouldn't be a foregone conclusion that OSU wouldn't make the playoff with a single loss.

16. SLVRBK

SLVRBK Johnny 8ball's PR Manager
    Staff A/V Subscriber

From all of the committee's 2016 offseason talk it should have been a forgone conclusion that tOSU would not have made the playoff.

• Like Like x 3
  17. bacowboy

Experience tells you:confused:

• Like Like x 1
    • LOL LOL x 1
  18. Rack

Rack Federal Marshal
    A/V Subscriber

Yep, the very specific and small amount of teams ranked currently in the top five or six in most pre season rankings..

so, yeah.I would lay $100 bucks and a hideaway pizza that IF we lose in an unecessary conference championship game we won't sniff the playoff...right now I'm predicting that we won't lose so the point will, hopefully, be moot. But I retain that the champion of the conference will be the only team that will sniff the playoff..and if it's not us, fair or unfair, we won't go.

19. Rack

Rack Federal Marshal
    A/V Subscriber

2011/12 LSU vs BAMA part 2...pretty clearly we got the shaft...I experienced that.

CMU last year...we got the shaft...I experienced that.

Bedlam 1988 phantom personal foul...I experienced that.

Yep experience...

20. bacowboy

:facepalm:

• Like Like x 1