Basketball 2021/2022 - Potential Improvements

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jun 20, 2013
Most good programs do. I would love to see us build a roster that allows us to have a couple guys on the floor at all times than can consistently hit open 3's.
Agreed. The three is the great equalizer. If you have a few guys that can knock them down, it's not a huge step back every time you rest your best players, or if they get in foul trouble.

Sep 23, 2010
Yes, having 3pt shooters is very important. But you constantly balance that with having adequate athletes playing as well that function on the court. Can't have guys like Dizzy out there who are just one dimensional and be successful in the Big 12. Best case scenario is the Randy Rutherford's and James Anderson's of the world.

Dec 16, 2019
Stillwater
Because Dziagwa got to do what Page and Forte should have been able to do. Stand in the corner and knock down threes. He was never the #1 priority on the scouting report like Page was or Forte after Smart left.
My exact thought too, Dizzy had one job when he was on the court and that was to drain 3's, but Page and Forte had to do that on top of running the team at the PG position

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2011
Rondell has the capability to be that 3 shooter. He is our biggest one we need to focus on, he has a lot of upside.

PokeJ

Territorial Marshal
Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site
Because Dziagwa got to do what Page and Forte should have been able to do. Stand in the corner and knock down threes. He was never the #1 priority on the scouting report like Page was or Forte after Smart left.
My exact thought too, Dizzy had one job when he was on the court and that was to drain 3's, but Page and Forte had to do that on top of running the team at the PG position
ICE and Dizzy complimented each other. ICE would break down the defense and dish the ball to Dizzy for a wide open 3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Aug 31, 2016
Wichita,Ks
https://twitter.com/OSUMBB/status/1377419761747947523?s=19

Most are expecting him to leave but is it possible? Yes he projected to be number one but one has to assume he would be number one next year also. It's also April fools day. Hmmm

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO

Most are expecting him to leave but is it possible? Yes he projected to be number one but one has to assume he would be number one next year also. It's also April fools day. Hmmm
I think there’s a real chance he stays. What he missed this year will be forever gone if he leaves. Besides, money is overrated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dec 7, 2006
I think there’s a real chance he stays. What he missed this year will be forever gone if he leaves. Besides, money is overrated.

It's coaching malpractice if Boynton lets him stay. He cannot improve his draft stock further and, even with insurance, there's always the risk of catastrophic injury. Then you factor in that he's already a father and needs to take care of his family. Cade can help the program almost as much by being a visible face for it in the NBA. My guess is the "special" in the announcement refers to the relationship between Mike and Cade, not some unanticipated surprise. That relationship is not going anywhere.

I will, of course, be thrilled if he stays and I was surprised when Smart chose to. But I'll also be on pins and needles every time he takes a hard foul -- and so will Mike. The risk is too great to come back.

OkstateKerr

Territorial Marshal
Jan 13, 2005
It's coaching malpractice if Boynton lets him stay. He cannot improve his draft stock further and, even with insurance, there's always the risk of catastrophic injury. Then you factor in that he's already a father and needs to take care of his family. Cade can help the program almost as much by being a visible face for it in the NBA. My guess is the "special" in the announcement refers to the relationship between Mike and Cade, not some unanticipated surprise. That relationship is not going anywhere.

I will, of course, be thrilled if he stays and I was surprised when Smart chose to. But I'll also be on pins and needles every time he takes a hard foul -- and so will Mike. The risk is too great to come back.
I mean Boynton can tell him to go the league until hes blue in the face but at the end of the day, It's Cade's decision. I think there is a 99.9999999999% chance that he is gone though.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO

You’re 1000% correct if instant money is, by a huge margin, the most important factor in fulfilling his life goals. But if he values the game of basketball, existing relationships, and/or the college experience as important keys to lasting happiness, then staying another year is not out of the equation. (Did I say money is overrated?)

And BTW, Boynton advising him to do anything other than pursuing the path that best fulfills his life goals would be malpractice.

I do think he leaves, as would 99.9% of players in his position. But Cade is a different cat - much more able to see the big picture as we’ve seen.

Jun 14, 2011

Oct 30, 2007
I haven't seen an official announcement yet, but it looks like Cannen Cunningham is moving on and we're hiring Terrence Rencher away from Creighton.

Oct 30, 2007
BTW, Creighton has a player named Christian Bishop in the transfer portal that we've been recruiting. I wonder if he might follow Coach Rencher here.

https://www.kansascity.com/sports/college/big-12/university-of-kansas/article250422106.html
Bishop, a 6-foot-7, 220-pound graduate of Lee’s Summit West High School, also has been offered by Missouri, a family member confirmed to The Star. As of Saturday night, Bishop had heard from coaches from KU, Missouri, Illinois, UNLV, Memphis, Texas A&M, Oklahoma State, Wake Forest, Arkansas, Minnesota and Oklahoma.

Bishop averaged 11.0 points (on 68.1% shooting) and 6.4 rebounds a game last season for the (22-9) Bluejays. He hit 68.1% of his shots, which ranks second on CU’s all-time single-season field goal percentage list.

OkstateKerr

Territorial Marshal
Jan 13, 2005
I haven't seen an official announcement yet, but it looks like Cannen Cunningham is moving on and we're hiring Terrence Rencher away from Creighton.

By all accounts, Cannen primarily worked with the bigs and they showed a lot of improvement this year. Wonder where he is heading. Maybe going to help Cade out while he transitions to the league?

Oct 30, 2007
By all accounts, Cannen primarily worked with the bigs and they showed a lot of improvement this year. Wonder where he is heading. Maybe going to help Cade out while he transitions to the league?
I wouldn't be surprised to see Cannen become a manager/advisor to Cade after he gets drafted. He should make around $40 million from his rookie contract alone, plus a lot more from endorsement deals. He'll need people around him that he can trust.

Who knows though, he could continue his coaching career. His resume is probably good enough to land a full time coaching job at a smaller school now. I wish him luck with whatever pathway he chooses.

Sep 23, 2010
Maybe the Creighton decommit TyTy Washington with the Rencher connection.

https://247sports.com/player/tyty-washington-46057695/
This would be the guy. I watched the HS national championships last week and TyTy is a total stud at the guard position. Strong like Ice but can move and skilled like AA. Bishop would be great too. Creighton has signed some studs lately. If this has been their ace recruiter, we are hiring a good one.

Jun 14, 2011

Damnit. Assuming our bigs have played as well as they have resulting from Canen being on staff, I am actually disappointed to have him move on. While getting Rencher in as a means for the recruit, the transfer, and his potential recruiting abilities; I hope that there is not a constant turnover in coaches specifically to get a guy here or there. Yes, I know that people move on and up in their careers, and such is the business.