Big 12 Realignment thread, 2021 version

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

What conference would you like to see OSU join?

• ACC

• Big Ten

• PAC-12

• Expanded Big 12

• Other (please explain)

Results are only viewable after voting.

CowboyOrangeFan

Mmmm, yeah.
A/V Subscriber
Jun 9, 2006
Florida
Don’t look now, this morning’s big headline is the AAC is coming hard after us and all the remaining Big 12 teams. That would be an unmitigated disaster for us to join that conference. We’d be the WAC of the Midwest (or worse)…..
I don't think there is much of a chance for that scenario. If we don't get picked up by a P4 conference, that means nobody, or at worst 1-2 teams from the Big 12, got picked up. That leaves the Big 12 standing. This means that the Big 12 raids the AAC. So I figure our worst case is a watered-down Big 12. Still a disaster. Just not the AAC.

Aug 31, 2016
Wichita,Ks
Don’t look now, this morning’s big headline is the AAC is coming hard after us and all the remaining Big 12 teams. That would be an unmitigated disaster for us to join that conference. We’d be the WAC of the Midwest (or worse)…..
If anything TCU and Baylor at the very least end up in AAC. I see no way OSU doesn't get in a P4 conference we're clearly the most attractive school out of the remaining eight in athletics.

Dec 26, 2011
Stillwater
I don't think there is much of a chance for that scenario. If we don't get picked up by a P4 conference, that means nobody, or at worst 1-2 teams from the Big 12, got picked up. That leaves the Big 12 standing. This means that the Big 12 raids the AAC. So I figure our worst case is a watered-down Big 12. Still a disaster. Just not the AAC.
ESPN is invested in the AAC. ESPN wants the Big 12 to die. That’s the difference

Fox is in panic mode reacting. What kind of deal can the big 12 get by 2025 to have leverage over a ucf or Cincinnati who have a longer term deal?

The writing is on the wall. We need to start looking at independence or something else radical.

Dec 11, 2011
SEC Rant is always a good read. Although I have no expectations we will ever be in the SEC, their fans have been fairly complimentary of OSU over the last week.

https://www.secrant.com/rant/sec-football/would-you-swap-missouri-for-oklahoma-state/97457038/
I read that thread & it seemed to me to be 50/50 without much middle ground. People were either really complimentary, or fairly vicious towards us.
I may be giving too much credence to MU & OU posters on there though...Also, there was one bitchy comment by an OU fan that was pretty fun to read. If you're on here "JiminAZ"-bless your little heart!

Sep 12, 2013
Broken Arrow, OK
Kasey is that you?

https://twitter.com/PeteThamel/status/1419512271122964480?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1419512271122964480%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_c10&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.secrant.com%2Fsec-football%2Fbig-12-reportedly-had-this-blunt-message-for-oklahoma-and-texas%2F97435407%2F

It will never happen as long as they're in the BIg XII.

Jul 5, 2020
Broken Arrow
B1G would be good news, but I'd be concerned about our Texas/South recruiting pipeline. It's true that Nebbish recruits well, but still differently than they did under Solich and early Pellini.

We are all underestimating how good the PAC could be. PAC helped Utah become AAU-accredited, whereas the B1G was decisive in voting Nebbish off the AAU island. Furthermore, PAC would be a lot more valuable (on a per school payout) with Central Time Zone schools; whereas, the B1G is no more or even slightly less valuable with additional Central Time Zone schools, especially on a per school basis.

I still refuse to believe they're going to further divide their B1G payout by 16+ just to add Iowa State and Kansas, out of, charity or something? At least the PAC coming this way is a considerable value-add, particularly if it includes OSU.

Ratings clearly demonstrate that OSU is not only the best of the available programs, but the only program on par with Oregon and USC. The concern then becomes whether there's at least 1 other school that justifies adding to the payout denominator. Maybe PAC affiliation also elevates Texas Tech, a la Utah? That suddenly becomes a no-brainer.

I can see a PAC 14, but I'll admit 16 is questionable. A conference shouldn't (likely won't) add any more schools than absolutely necessary to compete in the college landscape.
Points well taken. I guess my overall point was to say I'm ready to embrace whatever conference we land, and put this current mess in our rear-view mirror.

Aug 19, 2006
As a staunch traditionalist I've been struggling with this whole realignment narrative but am starting to come around. Frankly, I'm tired of getting our butts kicked by OU 9 out of every 10 years and not super excited about watching another string of KU, K-State, T-Tech, TCU games each season. Maybe it is time to shake things up.

And seeing OU and Texas getting beat up in the SEC every year will be somewhat enjoyable as well.

OSUCowboy787

Territorial Marshal
Dec 31, 2008
Keller, Texas
As a staunch traditionalist I've been struggling with this whole realignment narrative but am starting to come around. Frankly, I'm tired of getting our butts kicked by OU 9 out of every 10 years and not super excited about watching another string of KU, K-State, T-Tech, TCU games each season. Maybe it is time to shake things up.

And seeing OU and Texas getting beat up in the SEC every year will be somewhat enjoyable as well.
Somewhat?? It will be hilarious to see uo and ut with the consistancy of a team like ole Miss or South Carolina in the SEC. Not sure OU alumns will accept them not in the playoffs etc every couple years. I expect lots of turnover in their athletic department based on their struggles.

OSU125

Wrangler
Sep 2, 2014

I'll hate not being aligned with the other original Big 8 teams, especially K-State and ISU (and strangely TCU a bit too) if they don't come with us. But you're right, a bit of a shakeup in the schedule would be nice those first several years for sure.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
Somewhat?? It will be hilarious to see uo and ut with the consistancy of a team like ole Miss or South Carolina in the SEC. Not sure OU alumns will accept them not in the playoffs etc every couple years. I expect lots of turnover in their athletic department based on their struggles.
How they handle their staff will be interesting. Since their renaissance under Stoops, they've had incredible consistency, but that is definitely not the SEC way. UT will continue its trend of overpaying coaches and then interfering with their ability to succeed. In that way, they're a perfect fit for the SEC.

O-St8

Orange is power.
A/V Subscriber
Jan 13, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
I hear people saying this about ou and to me it falls into the same category as the ou fan(s) I've heard call into the sports animal and report that oSu will finally be where we belong when we go to the AAC. OU will NOT be like USC or UM. Will they have a hard time winning the conference? Absolutely. Their days of winning back to back to back (to back to back to back) conference championships is over. But the machine that is OU is going to roll on. I'd say they will be top perennial top 3 finishers in the SEC with Bama, UGA, and LSU/Auburn/aTm.

Edit: Texas on the other hand...could wind up like Tennessee.

Sep 12, 2013
Broken Arrow, OK
Show of hands.

Who believes any combination of B12 and AAC has a chance to be competitive (both on the field and in living rooms) and thus a chance to ultimately survive conference supremacy wars?
Nope, but the B1G raiding the AAU teams from the PACx will be. Will it be 2 teams (Oregon and USC) or 6?

Then the SEC grabs 4 from the ACC. Not sure how they're going to accomplish that anytime soon.

We are certainly looking for a seat at the table and I'm not sure there will be one. This all about the Benjamins and we are not at the top of the list if that list includes schools from the PACx and/or ACC. The B1G will be looking at USC, UCLA, Cal, Oregon, Arizona, Colorado, and Washington. Stanford is also AAU, but I've seen some comments to suggest Stanford doesn't play well with others. And the SEC will be looking at Clemson, FSU, Miami, North Carolina, VaTech.