Bracketology *Pokes are a 4 seed in The Dance*

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

POPOKE

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Feb 7, 2007
South Carolina
Liberty is 8th in Offensive Efficiency, I will be curious how well that holds up after playing OSU.

Disclaimer: I do look at Offensive Efficiency when making my brackets, but not when a team is playing hot and winning.
It won’t. We’ll run our 3/4 court trap which will cream turnovers, speed them, and not let them get into offensive sets. They haven’t played against size and athletes like we have. Look for Keylan to get more minutes this game than normal, his offensive rebounding ability compared to the other backup guards will be an advantage in this game.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Coach Boyntons message to the team should be: "they're still saying you can't do this. You played the best stretch of games of anyone in the country and they still don't give you the respect you deserve. Let's keep proving them wrong and it starts with Liberty. Let's get to work"
Watching Cade's comments afterwards, that's pretty much how they feel.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Aug 31, 2004
Austin, TX
Admittedly, I'm no expert, but looking at the level of LU's competition over the course of the season, I'm not seeing any real cause for alarm. They played teams like North Florida, North Alabama, Kennesaw State, Jacksonville, Bellarmine, et. They lost a game to David Libscomb. We ought to steamroll this team.

Oct 22, 2008
Austin, Tx
The Committee argued the NET ranking is the reason for WVU getting a 3 over Okla St getting a 4. Let’s take a deeper dive.

WVU had 4 wins (TT twice, KU and UT) against teams ranked above them in the Net, but had 4 losses (OSU 2, OU 2) against teams ranked lower in the Net.

OSU on the other hand had 8 wins (WVU 2, TTech 2, UT, KU, BU and Ark) against teams ranked higher in the Net while only suffering 2 losses (TCU2) to teams ranked lower in the Net.

The Net is supposed to be used as a predictive tool when comparing two or more teams. In the Committees eyes, higher ranked teams are supposed to beat lower ranked teams. So, what if OSU was ranked above WVU as a test? Let’s see. Here’s each teams records (wins vs predicted loss, and losses vs predicted wins) as adjusted:

WVU: 5-2 instead of 4-4
OSU: 6-3 instead of 8-2.

Pretty clear either OSU was under-ranked, or WVU was over-ranked, or both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I just wonder if they apply these metrics evenly throughout the seedings. I mean, if there are other examples of teams being underseeded just because of NET, then that's one thing. Actually, if NET is so important that it literally overruled every other metric and accomplishment of this team, then they should just basically go down the NET and that's your seedings. It's preposterous. I'm not obsessed enough to dig into it and I called this exact thing a week ago, so it was completely expected. I just suspect they selectively apply these metrics where they want, to accomplish their goal of favoring their pets and punishing the programs they despise. It can't be coincidence that this happens to us in pretty much every sport and every national tournament.

Oct 22, 2008
Austin, Tx
Can any of you remember being pleasantly surprised with a better than expected seeding for the pokes? Even when the team has been properly seeded, they’re sent to NJ to play Syracuse. Or to Kentucky to play the fab five.
"Pleasantly surprised with a better than expected seeding"? No. Because I don't believe it's ever happened. Ecstatically happy that they didn't screw us over and seeded us correctly is pretty much the best we can hope for from the NCAA. And that probably happens more than we think since, in my case at least, I'm pretty sure it only happens 10% of the time if we're lucky. It's probably closer to 20% of the time. Though typing that number out seems way too high. That's for all sports. If we're talking basketball only, I think the number is 0%. Someone prove me wrong before I slit my wrists.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
WVU could easily have been a 4, but WVU beat the Big East champs on the road, blew out the CUSA champs, blew out richmond, and beat w ky and vcu, all tourney teams ooc.

Gave Gonzaga its closest game, and was up on zags at halftime. In fact were up on zags with 4 min to go, and choked on front ends of 1-1's.

Oklahoma State is hot, but the seeding looks at the entire season. WVU has zero bad losses. All of it losses were 5 points or less, except kansas, and WVU avenged that loss by a wider margin.

Oklahoma State has a good bracket, i think. No tough teams really until illinois and baylor crushed Ill., so they are not all that.

Oklahoma State has the talent to win it all. WVU does not. Texas has the talent to win it all as well. baylor, of course, too.
Hopefully big 12 gets a lot of wins. more wins more payout for conference. We got 7 out of 10 teams in--that's respect.

WVU has a pretty easy road to Sweet 16. But they dont call it March MADNESS for nothing. no win is guaranteed.
The Committee argued the NET ranking is the reason for WVU getting a 3 over Okla St getting a 4. Let’s take a deeper dive.

WVU had 4 wins (TT twice, KU and UT) against teams ranked above them in the Net, but had 5 losses (OSU 2, OU 2, Fla) against teams ranked lower in the Net.

OSU on the other hand had 8 wins (WVU 2, TTech 2, UT, KU, BU and Ark) against teams ranked higher in the Net while only suffering 2 losses (TCU2) to teams ranked lower in the Net.

The Net is supposed to be used as a predictive tool when comparing two or more teams. In the Committees eyes, higher ranked teams are supposed to beat lower ranked teams. So, what if OSU was ranked above WVU as a test? Let’s see. Here’s each teams records (wins vs predicted loss, and losses vs predicted wins) as adjusted:

WVU: 5-3 instead of 4-5.

Edit to WVUs record.

Ptak'sNewspaper

Territorial Marshal
Sep 30, 2004
The Oasis
redcircle.com
I really don’t like the potential Tennessee match up in the 2nd round. If we play like we’ve been we’ll be fine, but they’re the type of team that if we struggle in just one area, like FT shooting, 3 pt D, or turnovers, they’ll capitalize and it’ll be a dog fight.

Dec 16, 2019
Stillwater
In a way i for sure feel as though we got the short end of the stick when it comes to our seeding, but regardless i am just excited to be able to watch some March Madness this year! Around this time last year basically all sports were put to a halt, so ill just appreciate what we get and hope all the teams can stay safe too

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
I really don’t like the potential Tennessee match up in the 2nd round. If we play like we’ve been we’ll be fine, but they’re the type of team that if we struggle in just one area, like FT shooting, 3 pt D, or turnovers, they’ll capitalize and it’ll be a dog fight.
Tennessee has two players who are picked to be drafted in the first round, some mock drafts have them both as lottery picks. And we already know Barnes can coach. It can be argued that they are potentially the most dangerous 5 seed in the tourney by quite a bit, just inconsistent.

OkstateKerr

Territorial Marshal
Jan 13, 2005
Tennessee has two players who are picked to be drafted in the first round, some mock drafts have them both as lottery picks. And we already know Barnes can coach. It can be argued that they are potentially the most dangerous 5 seed in the tourney by quite a bit, just inconsistent.
Just gotta hope our Orange brethren from Oregon take care of them

Sep 23, 2010
Tennessee was awesome early, but they struggle to score. There defense was high level early on, but it's hard to stay top 10 level that long. You get to the final 32 teams, every game is potentially a difficult game. Fortunately, we've proven to be pretty good in those down the stretch.

Dec 9, 2013
Admittedly, I'm no expert, but looking at the level of LU's competition over the course of the season, I'm not seeing any real cause for alarm. They played teams like North Florida, North Alabama, Kennesaw State, Jacksonville, Bellarmine, et. They lost a game to David Libscomb. We ought to steamroll this team.
Steamrolling is not how this team wins games. Our avg margin of victory is 8.5 ppg. That’s a 3-4 possession game. Given the matchup and our propensity to gift the other team w live ball turnovers, it would not surprise me to see a very tight game. With a young team and a staff w not a lot of tourney experience we should take any W we get here and live to play on. They key will be to get to the 1st half under 12 timeout w a 10-14 point (or +5 possession) lead. Make them start to speed up a little (take quick shots) and change their game. The quicker we get to a +5 possession game the more this will play to our favor. Long rebounds to our big guards should lead to push aheads. If we start yanking early 3s, I will be concerned.

Sep 29, 2010
Stillwater
I hate that Im choosing Illinois over us in sweet 16 right now. They are playing some good basketball right now though. I'm torn because I like the team - Kofi Cockburn and Ayo Dosunmo (SP?) are fun to watch - but I can't bring myself to root for brad underwood to have success. Yes I'm petty.

Hopefully OSU takes that decision out of my hands though with a W!

Dec 17, 2011
From what someone said before they don't have a down low presence right? So our guard defense will be critical. AA and rondell coming off the bench will be big. I honestly expect either MAM or Kalib to get 20 pts in both of these games

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO

WVU had 4 wins (TT twice, KU and UT) against teams ranked above them in the Net, but had 5 losses (OSU 2, OU 2, Fla) against teams ranked lower in the Net.

WVU: 5-3 instead of 4-5.

Below is a list of the top 32 seeds in the tournament and their Net Ranking. As mentioned above, the Committee uses the NET as a prediction tool. I have gone through all Top 32 Seeds to see how well each team performed against the "prediction" using the NET. Thus I tabulated actual Wins vs predicted losses, and Losses vs predicted wins. In a perfect world, every team would have 0 wins and 0 losses. What is crystal clear, nearly every team (except Gonzaga) has suffered multiple "bad games" when they lose to teams they are predicted to beat.

Only TWO teams beat more teams they should lose to than lose to teams they should beat. If my thinking is correct, those two teams should clearly be ranked higher in the NET.

Note the best performing teams are ALL Big12. I think that means the BIG12's NET rankings are overall too low.

Comments? Am I missing something?

NCAA Net.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
They really need to rotate members of the corrupt NCAA selection committee so it won’t be so corrupt. The AD of Kentucky being the head of the committee, given the past and present issues between OSU and Kentucky (i.e. Eddie and now Cade) doesn’t exactly give me a comfortable feeling as it relates to so-called unbiased seedings.
You mean all the problems at UK period.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

OkstateKerr

Territorial Marshal
Jan 13, 2005
From what someone said before they don't have a down low presence right? So our guard defense will be critical. AA and rondell coming off the bench will be big. I honestly expect either MAM or Kalib to get 20 pts in both of these games
Why not both?