1. You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Bring Doug Home

Discussion in 'OSU Sports Forum' started by CrazyPoke#1, Mar 18, 2017.

?

Should we hire Doug Gottlieb to be the next head coach of the Oklahoma State MBB program?

Poll closed Mar 24, 2017.
  1. Yes - bring Doug home!

204 vote(s)
    65.6%
  2. No - he doesn't have the necessary experience

107 vote(s)
    34.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MusicCityPoke

MusicCityPoke Greenhorn

I want Doug to do well. I want him to be our coach for a very long time, so long as our program trends in the right direction under his leadership. I was just saying the risk of him not working out, in my opinion, is not that great since we wouldn't be out as much financially as giving a larger deal to someone else.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Cimarron

Cimarron It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.

Perhaps, but he was #2 on the team in steals, averaging 1.1 per game. 1.3 would have ranked him #15 in the conference.

3. RutherfordFan

RutherfordFan Federal Marshal

LOL yes and the whole world just shot over him but he got 1.1 steals a game so he can really defend LOL
    not trying to mean but some on this board have no idea what they are talking about. Not you necessarily but they don't understand what makes a good defender. We sucked on defense for a reason.

4. NitroOrange

NitroOrange Sheriff

Do you think some of the coaches who are hot commodities won't look at what just happened to BU and ask why they would want to go through the same thing? Not to mention, we are competing with Indiana for an HC....

Doug may be one of a very small group who has a strong interest at this point. Likewise, right now, I think the need for some very positive energy may outweigh the fact that Doug has not coached. Paying assistants to keep them might be as important as anything else.

I re-emphasize, there is nothing to support my thoughts but by observations and my gut. May be completely off the mark....

5. PairofCowboys

PairofCowboys Wrangler

I think that you have to purse those hot commodities first, though. We can't assume that they won't be interested just because Brad Underwood likes money and rabbited in order to go it.

How many wins does "positive energy" translate to?

• Like Like x 1
  6. Cimarron

Cimarron It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.

I don't know what FG% those players Forte guarded had? Unless you're in the game or on the sideline it's also difficult to know how he may have benefitted the team on the floor as a team leader. There are intangibles that sometimes get overlooked.

I remember coaching a youth team several years ago. When our most athletic and most talented basketball player was on the court we got outscored, when he was on the bench we outscored the other team.

He was great one-on-one, horrible as a team player.

Yea, Forte wasn't a great defensive player, but I'm not sure he was the worst of those that saw significant minutes either.

Ford's teams actually played some good defenses. If you go back through conference statistics Fords' teams were consistantly in the top half of the conference for scoring defense and defense FG%.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Coolfogg

Coolfogg Deputy

Do you mean yourself?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

• Love Love x 1
    • LOL LOL x 1
  8. NitroOrange

NitroOrange Sheriff

Who knows? Some of that will depend on who he has as his assistants. I think the ones on staff are pretty solid. But I saw a good post on Newsok. John Smith had no experience as a coach when he was hired. That seemed to translate well.

We may be pursuing hot commodities. I just think the hot commodities may not be too hot to come here.

9. PairofCowboys

PairofCowboys Wrangler

Yes, I think that's pretty clear.

10. Cro

Cro Sheriff

1.1 steals doesn't help w/ defending perimeter jump shooters or working through/around screens........ i'm a PF fan and will miss him, but let's call it like it is........

11. Dub

Dub Cowboy

BTW, as with enumerable others, Mason is more qualified as a HC than Gotdweeb. And Mason is unqualified to be a D1 HC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Dislike Dislike x 4
  12. RutherfordFan

RutherfordFan Federal Marshal

He was not a good defender. Love the kid as a shooter but let's all just be honest.

• Like Like x 1
  13. OSUinTX

OSUinTX Cowboy

I have not been throwing any shit. I have been speaking the facts. Doug Gotlieb is a horrible defeatist resignation. Fact. There is nothing that guarantees butts in the seats other than winning. Does not work the other way around. Enthusiasm does not pack the house, wins do. Underwood sold this year's team in spades from Greek appearances to buying pizzas for random classes. Did that work? No. It was not until the wins started coming that the arena was the old GIA.
    There are many viable candidates and Gotlieb should not even be mentioned in the same breath. OSU may not be a basketball blue blood, but settling for the completely unqualified is asinine.
    I do not have a favorite, I just want someone who is proven as a coach. Popularity contests do not win basketball games. What if Doug comes in here and fails miserably? We going to give him another year? Then he fails again. Give him another year? It sets OSU up into a situation of having to give miles of rope before the inevitable has to transpire and it was all because he was an alum. And will set the program back. Despite being an ass, Underwood actually (IMO) regained some of the swagger that was lost, but most importantly, he sparked interest and optimism based on his results and potential. With Gotlieb, everything is a crap shoot. Yes, he may light the world on fire, but given he is starting from scratch with no experience, the odds are that middle-of-the-pack or worse is what we would get.
    Drifted a bit there, but I agree that Marshall will never come. Whatever money TBP can throw at him, Koch brothers can quadruple it without blinking an eye. (not sure I want his wife in the stands right now either). Manning would be interesting, but I am not sold on his commitment to a school either. He may be wrangling for the KU job, but I really do not believe he would get it unless he starts lighting the world on fire at WF. Problem is, there are so many assistants that I do not know about that are not being discussed. I would take a good assistant who has been working with a proven coach. The key to my whole position is that Gotlieb is not a coach and should not be considered.

• Total Poop Total Poop x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  14. OSUinTX

OSUinTX Cowboy

Your hatred of Holder is palpable. Too bad it is based on alternate facts.

• Like Like x 1
  15. OSUinTX

OSUinTX Cowboy

Just a question. It is my understanding that Tulane wanted to DISCUSS its head coaching job with Gotlieb only after he indicated he was interested in the OSU job. Ie, Gotlieb expressed an interest in coaching so more possible suitors came forth. I do not recall any verifiable report that he was actually offered the Tulane job. But that was a year ago and I may have missed it.

• Like Like x 2
  16. OSUinTX

OSUinTX Cowboy

He said the same thing last year. Anonymous people who I am sure are of the same ilk as Doug, ie, not proven, but just say they have the ties and want everyone to believe it. Say names if it is true. But the key is, all of these traits are supposed to be held by the head coach, not the assistants.

• Like Like x 2
  17. OSUinTX

OSUinTX Cowboy

No. He had a five-year contract with annual $100k automatic raises that established the MINIMUM threshold. As transpired, interim negotiation to increase pay was and always is possible.

• Like Like x 1
  18. OSUinTX

OSUinTX Cowboy

could go on forever but some will never realize that Gotlieb is simply a bad idea. Said my peace (piece?). One question though.
    According to most news outlets, Gotlieb's biggest reason for ditching ESPN for CBS was so he could do his show in California where he wanted to raise his kids (no idea how many he has or how old they are). So what changed? Now he is willing to uproot his kids, or live away from his kids for this job? What happens when the toil gets too much and he wants to re-focus on his kids again?

• Total Poop Total Poop x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  19. ramases2112

ramases2112 Territorial Marshal

Umm as of right now he is in the process of moving to fox sports so I doubt he is going to be in california much longer.

20. ksupoke

ksupoke We don't need no edgeukashun
    A/V Subscriber

Can we please get another OSU basketball coach/Holder sucks/BU is a douche and overrated coach/DG is the best thing since sliced bread or DG isn't qualified to walk my dog thread going, only 7 of the first 8 that show up are referencing this.

c'mon slackers let's make it 8 of 8

• Like Like x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.