Covid-19

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

LS1 Z28

Territorial Marshal
Oct 30, 2007
Please stop with all the facts and logic. You have stumbled into the wrong thread. Did you not see the nugget about how you have to survive covid to get the immunity? Whoda thunk it??
I think that RX misread the original statement. I'm pretty sure him and a lot of others are fed up with people arguing against vaccinations. I can relate, because there are way too many people that believe every random thing they hear or read on social media.

I share data in hopes of helping others understand the pandemic. I really appreciate the information shared in this thread by people like RX, Steross, & OSUPsych, because they've helped me to gain a better understanding.

Jun 4, 2014
Dallas, TX
See the chart I posted from NEJM.

sent from Tapatalk penalized by wearing a mask
Yeah it’s a good breakdown, but based on time alone I wouldn’t think those effects can be long term side effects. Wouldn’t those just be immediate effects/reactions to the vaccine? My wording might be wrong but I’m thinking of effects that we find down the line, not an immediate reaction that you’ll have to deal with long term.

Jun 4, 2014
Dallas, TX
Calling yourself a “survivor” for having COVID seems a little dramatic, unless you are a senior… don’t you think?

I had COVID previously as well. I think I would receive some deserved eye rolls from my dad (two cancers and has a pacemaker) if I referred to myself as a survivor.
Meh, I disagree here. It’s clearly a serious disease that can kill. And if my body fights it off better than someone else’s, I still beat the same ailment. I have no qualms calling myself a covid survivor.

But I understand the point of view you put forth.

RxCowboy

I'm your huckleberry. That's just my game.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Closer to Stillwater today than I was last year
See the chart I posted from NEJM.

Yeah it’s a good breakdown, but based on time alone I wouldn’t think those effects can be long term side effects. Wouldn’t those just be immediate effects/reactions to the vaccine? My wording might be wrong but I’m thinking of effects that we find down the line, not an immediate reaction that you’ll have to deal with long term.
MI and PE are events, but they obviously have long term consequences. I may have had an MI when I had the virus.

steross

he/him
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
Yeah it’s a good breakdown, but based on time alone those I wouldn’t think those affects can be long term side effects. Wouldn’t those just be immediate effects/reactions to the vaccine? My wording might be wrong but I’m thinking of affects that we find down the line, not an immediate reaction that you’ll have to deal with long term.
The thing is, it would be a first. The way vaccines elicit an immune response just does not seem to cause long-term (late arriving) issues. I suppose for the mRNA vaccines that are a different mechanism than prior vaccines theoretically it could happen. But, even that would be odd because it is using your own muscle to make a protein for 48-72 hours then the mRNA breaks down, as does the protein. The mechanism for a long-term side effect would be very strange indeed. Like blaming the old bologna you ate from the frig when you were in high school for a bowel problem that developed after you got married. Just isn't really a good rationale for it to happen.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Everyone seems to be missing a big part of this discussion on vaccinated vs immunity from infection. The vaccine was originally designed to just keep an infection from becoming severe and causing a hospitalization and/or death. As it turned out the vaccines were highly effective as keeping you from getting the virus in the first place, or I should say were before the Delta variant showed up. However even with Delta the vaccine is still effective at its original intent considering that around 96% of hospitalizations/death now are from non vaccinated (and around another 3% that are vaccinated have 3 or more underlying conditions). So in other words immunity from a previous covid infection only helps you with the first part of being less likely to get it again, but does not help you with the the most important part of helping stop a severe infection and death.
See I have problem with those numbers. That 96% according to CDC specifications includes people who have tried to get vaccinated. So they have one vaccine dosage of a two-shot regimen, or they have two shots but are less than 14 days from the time of their last dose. I only say I have a problem with it in the fact that those numbers are being used to insinuate hospitalizations are mostly unvaxxed people, when they do include people who were in the middle of or had just recently got fully vaxxed.

Just talking out loud with a little bit of a nitpick, back to your regularly scheduled thread.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
What's your definition of "mostly"?

You mean as in, "hospitalizations are 'mostly' unvaccinated"? Because I'm saying those people are included in the unvaccinated side of it and it is used by the media to exaggerate the idea that all of these unvaccinated people are "anti-vaxxers". As I said, it's just a nitpick.

osupsycho

MAXIMUM EFFORT!!!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla
See I have problem with those numbers. That 96% according to CDC specifications includes people who have tried to get vaccinated. So they have one vaccine dosage of a two-shot regimen, or they have two shots but are less than 14 days from the time of their last dose. I only say I have a problem with it in the fact that those numbers are being used to insinuate hospitalizations are mostly unvaxxed people, when they do include people who were in the middle of or had just recently got fully vaxxed.

Just talking out loud with a little bit of a nitpick, back to your regularly scheduled thread.

Not sure I follow you there. The point with that data is that people who have had both doses of the vaccine and had time to have their bodies use that vaccine (the 14 days you mentioned) are only accounting for 4% of hospitalizations and deaths. The fact that some are either not fully vaccinated or marinated (that is the term they used when I got mine which I find funny), are still getting sick dying just lends more proof that the vaccine is effective in its intended use.

osupsycho

MAXIMUM EFFORT!!!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla
You mean as in, "hospitalizations are 'mostly' unvaccinated"? Because I'm saying those people are included in the unvaccinated side of it and it is used by the media to exaggerate the idea that all of these unvaccinated people are "anti-vaxxers". As I said, it's just a nitpick.

ahh sorry I responded first before reading this. Yeah the media is doing some manipulation but the reality is those people are unvaccinated so as long as they use that wording it is correct.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011

Because trying isn't completing. Does the police officer care if you were trying not to speed? Does he care that even though you were going 60 in a 55 you had been at 65 so you were almost there? Does the landlord care that you started working and tried to pay the rent but you haven't quite got your first paycheck yet?

In what part of life do you put the people who didn't do something but are trying to in the numbers for people who have done it to see the results of having it done? That is the most bizarre "problem with those numbers" I have ever heard.
Three separate categories, not two is what I would do. Because supposedly even 1 dose helps. I would think statistically they'd want to differentiate between the three groups.

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
Calling yourself a “survivor” for having COVID seems a little dramatic, unless you are a senior… don’t you think?

I had COVID previously as well. I think I would receive some deserved eye rolls from my dad (two cancers and has a pacemaker) if I referred to myself as a survivor.
I’m an OSU survivor. Twice!

UrbanCowboy1

Some cowboys gots smarts real good like me.
Aug 8, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
Pretty telling stuff

With the obvious pointing to the benefits of vaccination - a secondary item that I'm taking away from this is that 3 out of ever 4 breakthrough infections requiring hospitalization are coming from the 65+ crowd. It reasons that it's extremely unlikely that you would need to be hospitalized if you are vaccinated and under 65.

UrbanCowboy1

Some cowboys gots smarts real good like me.
Aug 8, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
With the obvious pointing to the benefits of vaccination - a secondary item that I'm taking away from this is that 3 out of ever 4 breakthrough infections requiring hospitalization are coming from the 65+ crowd. It reasons that it's extremely unlikely that you would need to be hospitalized if you are vaccinated and under 65.
I'm a visual guy:

1631832151097.png

Feb 11, 2007
Oklahoma City
Natural immunity might be roughly equal at preventing subsequent infections, but it is obviously vastly inferior at preventing sequelae. From NEJM:

This is an exstemely important graph to study out of the NEJM...that compares vaccinated persons (and possible side effects) with those who are infected with the virus. Clearly it shows it is better to get the vaccine.
Too many people are afraid of possible side effects from the vaccine.

Sep 12, 2008
Hybrid Immunity/Super Immunity..

"With the FDA gearing up to decide if all Americans need booster shots, some researchers are pointing to preliminary data suggesting that mixing different vaccines could offer an even stronger immune boost.

For now, data is too sparse to support a mix-and-match strategy, experts say. But scientists are learning more about just how strong the immune response can be for someone who has previously been infected with COVID-19 then gets the vaccine -- a phenomenon called "hybrid immunity.""

You just gotta survive the initial infection to get to this point..

Anyone going to mix and match their booster shots?

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
Hybrid Immunity/Super Immunity..

"With the FDA gearing up to decide if all Americans need booster shots, some researchers are pointing to preliminary data suggesting that mixing different vaccines could offer an even stronger immune boost.

For now, data is too sparse to support a mix-and-match strategy, experts say. But scientists are learning more about just how strong the immune response can be for someone who has previously been infected with COVID-19 then gets the vaccine -- a phenomenon called "hybrid immunity.""

You just gotta survive the initial infection to get to this point..

Anyone going to mix and match their booster shots?
Maybe, but there will be enough initial rush on them that I'll likely take what's available of the mRNA vaccines. In my case, that probably means more pfizer.