Covid-19

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Pretty sure I still practiced my religion yesterday.

With all that you said that we don't know, how do you know what over-reaction is?
We won't know without much more data and studies of countries who did less verses those who did more...Even then we will have to rely on their data being factual when it's likely not. It's a cluster for sure.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
Lots of references to herd immunity. Waiting on @RxCowboy to respond.

Also, didn't the UK flirt with this idea only to pull back? Despite getting their first case at roughly the same time, they have more than double our deaths per million and more than 5x our cases per million suggesting it gets even harder to track and respond to this thing if you don't act earlier to slow it down (they only have about 30% less tests per million, so it isn't just due to testing differences). That's not an endorsement of a strategy, though I generally favor our current approach and recognize the vast downsides.

Feb 7, 2007
Denver
Fauci, 1/21/20: "This is no threat to the people of the United States."

https://twitter.com/i/status/1246156119938080776
He says we need to listen to CDC and experts... that didn't happen
Says ordinary citizens don't need to do anything "right now". That was true then. He even goes on to say we need to monitor and change as things go forward. All of that was true.

Have you looked at any of what the POTUS was saying during that time?

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
He says we need to listen to CDC and experts... that didn't happen
Says ordinary citizens don't need to do anything "right now". That was true then. He even goes on to say we need to monitor and change as things go forward. All of that was true.

Have you looked at any of what the POTUS was saying during that time?

You should probably read the thread.

Feb 7, 2007
Denver
About the same time Hue Jackson started coaching. Does that qualify him as a good coach? As late as 2/29 he was telling people to continue on with normal lives.
Wow, I hadn't thought about a random football coach in this discussion. Very pertinent.

The video of him saying to continue normal lives was just posted. He talks about "right now" and how we need to monitor and that things could change quickly. AKA exactly correct.

Feb 7, 2007
Denver
You should probably read the thread.
He is now saying things could have been locked down sooner. That is absolutely true. We had states not do anything until early April. You do realize 5 weeks is a long time right? He is always talking about what normal citizens should be doing at that time. You do realize duties and actions of individual citizens and elected officials are different right?

Feb 7, 2007
Denver
There is a difference between Bob and Karen going to the mall in February when compared to decisions around Mardi Gras, Spring Break , ski resort closures, airport restrictions, school closures, etc that happen on a larger scale controlled by government response.

It is also comical to me that some are picking apart his statements that was filled with "right now", "things could change" etc.

Meanwhile Trump is saying "15 cases soon to be 0", "disappear like a miracle", "this is their new hoax" etc. but that is not a topic worth diving into apparently.

Queue up the "ZZZ" response!!

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
His public comments aside, as far as what he done to be in this position, he led the massive research arm and had to help coordinate with industry so that we could be where we are with vaccines. Last I heard, we had 7 vaccines currently in human trials with the potential for the first one to start production by the end of this calendar year if even one of the trials goes well. That is insane and a good chunk of that progress is due to the work, coordination, and vision from the institute he leads.