Covid-19

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
If games are going to get canceled once a few or a handful of players test positive then trying to have the season is not a good idea IMO. If you’re going to go forward, then go forward and treat a Covid outbreak as you would the flu, food poisoning, etcetera.
I think some teams want to see what public reaction is to eventual outbreaks and go as long ad universities stay open. Tough to know now what those two variables will be.

May 31, 2007
Edmond, OK
I think some teams want to see what public reaction is to eventual outbreaks and go as long ad universities stay open. Tough to know now what those two variables will be.
Totally agree. But it just seems with what we know about Covid, primarily how contagious it appears to be, that having such a low threshold for throwing in the towel especially with the political and litigious environment we live in it’s just a waste of time to even try.

TheMonkey

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
I only have two people on ignore and I’ve posted here for many years so my threshold for resorting to that is very high. I really only have one reason to put people on ignore and that’s when people resort to making things personal. The way I see it, if you’re making it personal then you’re taking it personal. And I don’t want that for people. For one thing, it’s a waste of time to engage people who are going to resolve the debate by taking personal shots because they feel like they’re getting the short end of the stick. But mainly I just don’t want to be the cause of people getting riled up personally. So hopefully if they know I can’t see their posts they will ignore me and have a better experience here. What they post doesn’t bother me, but I know what I post is bothering them so I try to rectify that as best I can. Might not make sense to you guys but it makes sense to me.
I know he won’t see this, but it befuddles me. I don’t understand how this was a personal attack. I noticed a trend that his observations were completely different from what I noticed. For example, he thought Trump handled that interview well. It looked like a complete train wreck to me. I also couldn’t understand why he thought the interviewer was hostile. I couldn’t see how even an ardent Trump supporter could watch that interview and come away with those conclusions. Trying to reconcile that, I mentioned I’m considering whether he’s simply baiting people with opposing viewpoints (partly because I don’t think he’s an idiot). I don’t find that to be personal. I tend to take people at face value and I didn’t want to foolishly fall for baiting tactics.

I was addressing the approach I thought he might be using in his argument. A personal (ad hominem) attack would be accusing him of stupidity, mocking his profile picture, slandering his race, etc.

By the way, I would have said all of these things to his face, in real life. I apply the same principle to what I write on here. Anonymity is no excuse for incivility.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
On a more personal note. My kids had both started practice for school extra curricular activities this week and had practiced 4 hrs each day on Monday and Tuesday. Last night the school district announced they were going all virtual learning for the first 9 weeks and they canceled their practices for today - Saturday as they had another 20 hrs of practice sched this week.

Nov 6, 2010
I know he won’t see this, but it befuddles me. I don’t understand how this was a personal attack. I noticed a trend that his observations were completely different from what I noticed. For example, he thought Trump handled that interview well. It looked like a complete train wreck to me. I also couldn’t understand why he thought the interviewer was hostile. I couldn’t see how even an ardent Trump supporter could watch that interview and come away with those conclusions. Trying to reconcile that, I mentioned I’m considering whether he’s simply baiting people with opposing viewpoints (partly because I don’t think he’s an idiot). I don’t find that to be personal. I tend to take people at face value and I didn’t want to foolishly fall for baiting tactics.

I was addressing the approach I thought he might be using in his argument. A personal (ad hominem) attack would be accusing him of stupidity, mocking his profile picture, slandering his race, etc.

By the way, I would have said all of these things to his face, in real life. I apply the same principle to what I write on here. Anonymity is no excuse for incivility.
I thought the guy doing the interview was pretty combative with the way he kept interrupting, but I didn't watch the whole things, just the excerpts they've been showing. But on your second point I agree, it did look like a train wreck, but I think anytime he opens his mouth it is a mess, so it seemed about par for him.

May 31, 2007
Edmond, OK
I thought the guy doing the interview was pretty combative with the way he kept interrupting, but I didn't watch the whole things, just the excerpts they've been showing. But on your second point I agree, it did look like a train wreck, but I think anytime he opens his mouth it is a mess, so it seemed about par for him.
Trump is a BSer in a big way, nobody can deny that. I was impressed with his tone and poise. And I know people may look at that and say that should be a gimme for a POTUS and I agree. But it isn’t necessarily Trump’s strength. I hate to be “that guy”, but IMO Biden would fly off his handle and loss his %#*¥ if he was treated like that.

TheMonkey

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
It seemed more like a back-and-forth to me. He and Trump both interrupted and challenged each other. Neither of them got heated about it. Maybe that’s what BayArea thought Trump handled well. I guess I can go with that.

May 31, 2007
Edmond, OK
https://twitter.com/CNBC/status/1291072236397494275
Can’t condone or minimize anyone getting threatened but one recommendation I would make is not throwing out a first pitch at a highly publicized mlb game. We all know kooks are out there on both sides of the fence. It’s probably better to downplay your celebrity and not purposely enhance it.