Covid-19

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
Does anyone else think it's colder weather that is affecting the surge just as it does with the common cold? I expected FAR less cases in the summer than we had, however, and was hopeful we would already have a vaccine. That's what we need...a vaccine and treatments that work promptly. Even over the counter treatments that work. I would think that's the next step and where we need to be...I'm not convinced that people can or even should lock down...I just don't think it's nearly close to the life saver that would be treatments and vaccines, plus it punishes everyone equally for what I think is limited value. BUT, I'm not too proud to admit I've been wrong on this thing all along...I really thought we would be done with it's impact by now.
Recent studies show that in colder air with lower humidity the virus can travel much further (like up to 30ft) than in warmer and more humid air. I'm betting the cold air will not help it

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Recent studies show that in colder air with lower humidity the virus can travel much further (like up to 30ft) than in warmer and more humid air. I'm betting the cold air will not help it
Well we do have high humidity now...it was really dry before this major cold front came though but now it's very wet and very cold. Certainly can't be good for viral spread...it's when people 'catch' a cold and covid is a higher form of the cold virus..right? I just don't think shut downs are feasible nor a way to fight this long term and we are getting into long term territory. We cannot shut down again...we have to learn to live with the virus and combat it with safe lifestyle (mask, hand washing, social distancing) and medications (Vitamin D and E, Mouthwash, cold medicine, other...). It's obvious that locking downs aren't how we "roll" in free societies where we like to bungee jump and ride rollercoasters....I don't think we can nor will sustain a lockdown for any extended economy crushing period of time.

Feb 11, 2007
Oklahoma City
Numbers are going to be skewed the next few days. Many testing locations in Central and Western OK shut down yesterday and today due to winter weather

https://twitter.com/KOCODillon/status/1321122269733806082
Today the Oklahoma State Health Dept...reports no new deaths from Covid-19.
The overall death rate remains low at 1.07% of those testing positive for Covid-19.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
Well we do have high humidity now...it was really dry before this major cold front came though but now it's very wet and very cold. Certainly can't be good for viral spread...it's when people 'catch' a cold and covid is a higher form of the cold virus..right? I just don't think shut downs are feasible nor a way to fight this long term and we are getting into long term territory. We cannot shut down again...we have to learn to live with the virus and combat it with safe lifestyle (mask, hand washing, social distancing) and medications (Vitamin D and E, Mouthwash, cold medicine, other...). It's obviously that locking down isn't how we "roll" in free societies....I don't think we can nor will sustain that.
I think it has to be a mix of limited short term and defined shutdowns in outbreak areas and a whole lot of maximum self responsibility with preventative measures such as masks, etc. I think this can sustain us and limit deaths until a vaccine is found and proven effective.

What about rolling curfews in outbreak areas? Europe is trying this approach now. Closing all business at dark for a few weeks at a time

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
I think it has to be a mix of limited short term and defined shutdowns in outbreak areas and a whole lot of maximum self responsibility with preventative measures such as masks, etc. I think this can sustain us and limit deaths until a vaccine is found and proven effective.

What about rolling curfews in outbreak areas? Europe is trying this approach now. Closing all business at dark for a few weeks at a time
I'm not the right person to really comment on that. I'm not sure. But you know me...I will anyway. lol. To me it seems we need to work massively MORE on education about what we can do heath wise on an personal level to limit the effects of covid-19 on our bodies rather than mitigate it by attempting to reduce spread. In other words, I think we need to figure out how to make it less of a threat to each person and to help them built up their own personal immunity and do the things that protect themselves personally. Once we do that, I think that many of us who have yet to have it will likely still get it despite our efforts and build immunity just as we do with colds and the flu.

I don't think government restrictions do much for us at all...actually I think they can and do exasperate the problem by causing other unintentional problems like economic collapse and create a disenfranchised public. It's a tough one, because we ALSO want to keep everyone who gets it from spreading it to the elderly and the immune compromised. That's where isolation and restrictions need to be...nursing homes, immune compromised and others need to be protected from the virus and have the personal responsibility to stay isolated from it until it's mitigated as we have the flu and colds.

This enables the "general public" to be able to operate in a safe way with mask and other protections and obtain the slowed spread rather than all at once AND we keep the compromised safe as we learn. Yep, as you said, my thought is also a mix. Actually it's kind of what we are doing, with an added element of education on reducing effects by preventive measures for when/if we do get it. Seems, to me anyway, like a common sense holistic approach that doesn't create other problems in order to cure one problem.

Last edited:

SLVRBK

Johnny 8ball's PR Manager
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Oct 16, 2003
Katy, TX

Just posting the potion of the article on Italy but there is some info about other European countries

Protests against new Covid-19 restrictions hit Italy
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/protests-against-new-covid-19-restrictions-hit-italy-n1244887

The new measures ordering Italian restaurants and bars to close from 6 p.m., shutting down cinemas and gyms and imposing local curfews in several regions of the country were met with protests, both peaceful and violent.

Dozens of demonstrators in Turin in northern Italy threw huge firecrackers and bottles at the regional government's headquarters. Police responded with volleys of tear gas as they tried to restore order in the city.

Photographs from the scene showed shops along the central piazza had their windows smashed, and 10 people were arrested after clashing with police, La Repubblica newspaper reported.

Tensions also rose in Milan, the country’s financial hub that was hit hard by the pandemic earlier this year, as dozens of demonstrators marched towards the regional authorities' headquarters and threw stones, fireworks and bottles.

Reuters reported crowds chanting “Freedom, freedom, freedom,” as they confronted police in the city center.

Protesters also took to the streets in Trieste, Rome, Naples and Palermo. More protests were expected on Tuesday.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
Just posting the potion of the article on Italy but there is some info about other European countries

Protests against new Covid-19 restrictions hit Italy
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/protests-against-new-covid-19-restrictions-hit-italy-n1244887

The new measures ordering Italian restaurants and bars to close from 6 p.m., shutting down cinemas and gyms and imposing local curfews in several regions of the country were met with protests, both peaceful and violent.

Dozens of demonstrators in Turin in northern Italy threw huge firecrackers and bottles at the regional government's headquarters. Police responded with volleys of tear gas as they tried to restore order in the city.

Photographs from the scene showed shops along the central piazza had their windows smashed, and 10 people were arrested after clashing with police, La Repubblica newspaper reported.

Tensions also rose in Milan, the country’s financial hub that was hit hard by the pandemic earlier this year, as dozens of demonstrators marched towards the regional authorities' headquarters and threw stones, fireworks and bottles.

Reuters reported crowds chanting “Freedom, freedom, freedom,” as they confronted police in the city center.

Protesters also took to the streets in Trieste, Rome, Naples and Palermo. More protests were expected on Tuesday.
will be interesting to see what Russians do

https://twitter.com/CBSNews/status/1321146083343540225

SLVRBK

Johnny 8ball's PR Manager
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Oct 16, 2003
Katy, TX
will be interesting to see what Russians do

https://twitter.com/CBSNews/status/1321146083343540225
Some people in Germany attempted to fire bomb their version of the CDC.
Spain has had some protests/riots.
France likely will as well...Doctors in France held a walkout over working conditions.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
I'm not the right person to really comment on that. I'm not sure. But you know me...I will anyway. lol. To me it seems we need to work massively MORE on education about what we can do heath wise on an personal level to limit the effects of covid-19 on our bodies rather than mitigate it by attempting to reduce spread. In other words, I think we need to figure out how to make it less of a threat to each person and to help them built up their own personal immunity and do the things that protect themselves personally. Once we do that, I think that many of us who have yet to have it will likely still get it despite our efforts and build immunity just as we do with colds and the flu.

I don't think government restrictions do much for us at all...actually I think they can and do exasperate the problem by causing other unintentional problems like economic collapse and create a disenfranchised public. It's a tough one, because we ALSO want to keep everyone who gets it from spreading it to the elderly and the immune compromised. That's where isolation and restrictions need to be...nursing homes, immune compromised and others need to be protected from the virus and have the personal responsibility to stay isolated from it until it's mitigated as we have the flu and colds.

This enables the "general public" to be able to operate in a safe way with mask and other protections and obtain the slowed spread rather than all at once AND we keep the compromised safe as we learn. Yep, as you said, my thought is also a mix. Actually it's kind of what we are doing, with an added element of education on reducing effects by preventive measures for when/if we do get it. Seems, to me anyway, like a common sense holistic approach that doesn't create other problems in order to cure one problem.
Remember that Lock Downs are NOT there to stop or prevent COVID from happening. It is to help the Hospitals get control and stay in control of handling the patient numbers so the health care system isn't over run. If the hospitals get full, a full lockdown for a couple of weeks may become a necessity regardless of its impacts

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
https://twitter.com/KJRH2HD/status/1321123877905297408
They aren’t even in person. Tulsa public has failed its students and parents for a long time now. They are in the “basement” until January 4th, for crying out loud... but don’t let that out there in this short story o media gods.

Last edited:

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Remember that Lock Downs are NOT there to stop or prevent COVID from happening. It is to help the Hospitals get control and stay in control of handling the patient numbers so the health care system isn't over run. If the hospitals get full, a full lockdown for a couple of weeks may become a necessity regardless of its impacts
Hope not. That’s supposed to be why we were going to build more rooms. I’m not aware that our mayor did that but they looked at sites. If we didn’t build rooms and they shut us down again I bet he’s glad elections already happened. Btw, what about educating the public to take D and E and boost their immune systems along with other personal health boosting behaviors? Volunteer Personal responsibility is how we beat this...not divisive government mandates that may actually NOT do a thing to prevent the spread and keep hospital beds open.

Last edited: