Covid-19

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
Damn, This kid is by far the best QB in NCAA football. It would suck if Clemson loses a game or two while he is out and don't make the Playoff.

I use to very much dislike watching him play and thought he was all Hype. But week in and week out he just keeps producing and at some point I had to agree he was damn good QB

https://twitter.com/SportsCenter/status/1321978308234481664?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1321979646938894337%7Ctwgr%5Eshare_3&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Foutsider.com%2Fnews%2Fsports%2Fclemson-qb-trevor-lawrence-tests-positive-for-covid-19%2F

gundysburner

Banned
Banned
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Damn, This kid is by far the best QB in NCAA football. It would suck if Clemson loses a game or two while he is out and don't make the Playoff.

I use to very much dislike watching him play and thought he was all Hype. But week in and week out he just keeps producing and at some point I had to agree he was damn good QB

https://twitter.com/SportsCenter/status/1321978308234481664?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1321979646938894337%7Ctwgr%5Eshare_3&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Foutsider.com%2Fnews%2Fsports%2Fclemson-qb-trevor-lawrence-tests-positive-for-covid-19%2F
The guy beat Bama by 28 for a National title, as a true freshman.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
all I know is I am seeing more of my friends and acquaintances get Covid...most have mild symptoms, but a few have been knocked on their @$$...one is in hospital now in very serious condition (40s), another passed away (20ish)...it's so weird how it affects people so differently...I'm so tired of this new world we live in...so ready for 2021...or am I?!
I still think it's a mix of age, and blood types as biggest factors, alongside getting lots of natural vitamin D being outside and how healthy you are (no co-morbidities).

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Last edited:

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
https://twitter.com/NPR/status/1322157399097180160
COULD is the big word here. It could also be that they are still trying to determine if this is a true predictor or not before making it public. That's what's wrong with journalism today. No investigation beyond trying to make orange man look bad. Or misleading headlines to do the same knowing the articles will not be read by the majority of people.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
COULD is the big word here. It could also be that they are still trying to determine if this is a true predictor or not before making it public. That's what's wrong with journalism today. No investigation beyond trying to make orange man look bad. Or misleading headlines to do the same knowing the articles will not be read by the majority of people.

did you read the article and see what information is contained in these reports?? Please do. I think you will understand your post is off base

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011

did you read the article and see what information is contained in these reports?? Please do. I think you will understand your post is off base
I think the quote below is very crucial here. It appears the data lacks context anyway. I think, rather than "orange man bad", this should have been framed in the headline as more that data collection is flawed across the board by everyone and new ways need to be found to add context and provide a wider picture for everyone.
I disagree that the average citizen needs to see this data to make decisions (as said in the article), but it does need to be refined and filtered out better. A one week delay by hhs cam be a problem.

Quote:
"We're so focused on counting things but not contextualizing them," explains McPheeters. A community hospital might become overwhelmed at a different point than a big academic hospital, and without that context, she says, it's impossible to tell: "Is 75% [full] a good thing or is 75% a bad thing?"

Health data experts NPR consulted had ideas on how to improve the analysis. For instance, Panchadsaram suggested that some of the county-level charts, currently presented as raw numbers, would be more useful if analyzed per capita. "You really need to adjust it to the number of people [in an area] to get a sense of where things are being overwhelmed," he says.

gundysburner

Banned
Banned
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
https://www.9news.com/article/news/...virus/73-a50e88b9-f9ec-4e17-9a5f-567cee9500b5

COLORADO, USA — As of Thursday morning, more than 587,000 Coloradans have enabled a new phone app aimed at alerting them when they may have been exposed to COVID-19.

The app went live in our state on Sunday and so far 587,615 users have opted in on their smartphones which is about 10% of the Colorado population.

Does the app track your location? Do you know where more people are opting in?

Tuneberg: Exposure notifications does not do any tracking. It’s part of the privacy protection that we have within this app is that the technology never knows where you are and it never tracks your location. So no, we don’t know across the state where people are opting in or not.

What is considered an exposure?

Tuneberg: In Colorado, the parameters for exposure are those that are defined by the CDC. Your phone must be within 6 feet or less of another phone that has the service enabled for 15 minutes or more.

How exactly does is it work?

Tuneberg: The way that the technology works is that these tokens, those random strings of letters and numbers, are exchanged between the phones and they are generated on a regular cadence and sent out no matter what.

RELATED: Free app will let you know if you've been exposed to coronavirus

If someone tests positive, are notifications automatically sent to everyone exposed?

Tuneberg: It’s not automated. So you would have to, as a person who tested positive, you again get an opportunity to opt-in or consent to the service, and you as that individual are the person who says ‘yes’ essentially to notifying the people's phones you’ve crossed paths with.

What does the exposure notification look like?

Tuneberg: The notification comes across and it says on this date, you might have been exposed to COVID. And then it links the individual to more information on CDPHE’s website on where to get tested, how to safely quarantine and how to get more information.

What do the early numbers tell you about the success of the app?

Tuneberg: We are seeing that Coloradans are adding their phone to the fight against COVID and we want everybody to do that. This is an exceptional win for the state in a time we are seeing cases rising, percent positivity increasing. Today is a very grim milestone in Colorado where we passed more than 100,000 positive COVID cases, and seeing that more than half a million Coloradans added their phone to the fight against COVID is a win and something we really want to celebrate in a time where news is pretty grim.

gundysburner

Banned
Banned
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
https://twitter.com/CBSEveningNews/status/1322181468186202113
In March & April, everyone was trying to thread this needle in real time with new information forthcoming almost hourly.

In 6 months later, there is simply no excuse for lack of field hospitals throughout the country. El Paso may have one or a couple, I don't know, but for leaders not to have understood the potential need for extra capacity this fall is utter failure.

The lockdowns from the spring crippled hospitals, while we 'trying to protect them.' For localities & regions to not have an excess capacity plan by now, or a plan, for instance, for the VA home in Claremore situation, is simply unforgivable.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
In March & April, everyone was trying to thread this needle in real time with new information forthcoming almost hourly.

In 6 months later, there is simply no excuse for lack of field hospitals throughout the country. El Paso may have one or a couple, I don't know, but for leaders not to have understood the potential need for extra capacity this fall is utter failure.

The lockdowns from the spring crippled hospitals, while we 'trying to protect them.' For localities & regions to not have an excess capacity plan by now, or a plan, for instance, for the VA home in Claremore situation, is simply unforgivable.
I'm simply stunned the Fed Govt hasn't made the move to authorize medical schools to forgo some restrictions on Final year med students, nursing students, etc to get them into the medical work force quicker to bolster medical field personnel and also ease the restrictions of Dr's in Residency or training hospitals who are ready to get out on their own in order to put more doctors out there treating.

Field hospitals should be going up in major cities and being made ready in case they are needed, and late year med students and nursing students should be on an emergency training program issued by the Govt and CDC and preparing them to work in these field hospitals on emergency request

SLVRBK

Johnny 8ball's PR Manager
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Oct 16, 2003
Katy, TX
https://twitter.com/NPR/status/1322157399097180160
From the article:

HHS tells NPR that more than 800 state-level employees have access to the daily hospitalization data it gathers, but only for their own state, unless another state grants them permission to view its data.

Would be interesting know the reason behind this...is there a law that prevents the sharing?

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
From the article:

HHS tells NPR that more than 800 state-level employees have access to the daily hospitalization data it gathers, but only for their own state, unless another state grants them permission to view its data.

Would be interesting know the reason behind this...is there a law that prevents the sharing?
it makes 0 sense in my mind that the CDC hasn't set up an information gathering Hub on this data, assigned a director to it, had that director normalize all reporting functions across all states, and then set up an information sharing Hub for states and medical professionals for this data.

It is just poor leadership from the local hospital level all the way to the CDC

gundysburner

Banned
Banned
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
I'm simply stunned the Fed Govt hasn't made the move to authorize medical schools to forgo some restrictions on Final year med students, nursing students, etc to get them into the medical work force quicker to bolster medical field personnel and also ease the restrictions of Dr's in Residency or training hospitals who are ready to get out on their own in order to put more doctors out there treating.

Field hospitals should be going up in major cities and being made ready in case they are needed, and late year med students and nursing students should be on an emergency training program issued by the Govt and CDC and preparing them to work in these field hospitals on emergency request

You do realize that medical personnel, across the spectrum, had their hours reduced, forced to take PTO, & even lost jobs because of the first shutdown, right? We lost over $16 million in 3 months & had to eliminate positions & close entire facilities because of the loss. Several of our RN's went to NY to supplement staffing there when things were terrible, so shifting of staffing to areas of need has been occurring already for months. Our hospital was a ghost town for months because, thankfully, we weren't overwhelmed with cases.

It's different everywhere, & that's yet another reason why going back to one size fits all lockdowns are simply an ignorant solution now vs. March. Going back to killing 'elective' procedures & the like right now, when people have met their deductibles & are rushing to get things done before the end of the year both harms the patients & the facilities that serve them. I'm hoping like hell the AMA & other lobbies get this point through on all levels throughout the country, especially the non-large metro areas because they were already hit extremely hard financially & many already existed on thin margins.

Lastly, follow the data & actually use it. If facilities are found to be a source of outbreak, deal with it then. If they're not, & I've not heard of one big spreading event traced to a hospital or surgery center, let them operate. Truth is, hospitals are some of the safer places you could be right now. Limited or no visitors, screening of every person entering the facility, mandatory COVID tests for any cases requiring anesthesia, are pretty standard right now.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
You do realize that medical personnel, across the spectrum, had their hours reduced, forced to take PTO, & even lost jobs because of the first shutdown, right? We lost over $16 million in 3 months & had to eliminate positions & close entire facilities because of the loss. Several of our RN's went to NY to supplement staffing there when things were terrible, so shifting of staffing to areas of need has been occurring already for months. Our hospital was a ghost town for months because, thankfully, we weren't overwhelmed with cases.

It's different everywhere, & that's yet another reason why going back to one size fits all lockdowns are simply an ignorant solution now vs. March. Going back to killing 'elective' procedures & the like right now, when people have met their deductibles & are rushing to get things done before the end of the year both harms the patients & the facilities that serve them. I'm hoping like hell the AMA & other lobbies get this point through on all levels throughout the country, especially the non-large metro areas because they were already hit extremely hard financially & many already existed on thin margins.

Lastly, follow the data & actually use it. If facilities are found to be a source of outbreak, deal with it then. If they're not, & I've not heard of one big spreading event traced to a hospital or surgery center, let them operate. Truth is, hospitals are some of the safer places you could be right now. Limited or no visitors, screening of every person entering the facility, mandatory COVID tests for any cases requiring anesthesia, are pretty standard right now.
I don't understand why you are talking lockdowns. Lockdowns was the furthest thing from my mind

gundysburner

Banned
Banned
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
I don't understand why you are talking lockdowns. Lockdowns was the furthest thing from my mind
Not necessarily directed at you, directed at what's being discussed in several parts of the country & world right now. The drumbeat of 'protect our hospitals' is being parroted again, & rightfully so, & it sounds great, right?

Most people, though, are unaware of the unintended terrible consequences that that approach brought earlier this year. Most people don't realize how bad the impact was, or how bad it would decimate hospitals if done again.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater

Somehow I think the committee would take that into account.