Covid-19

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
UK is blocking all travel from India to the UK. India has over 15 million cases now
We need to bombard them with vaccine...J&J needs to get in the arms as well as AZ all over India...and we need people and supplies to get that done. This is where I see not only government but church groups that should be involved in this worldwide effort to save lives.

The silver lining scientifically and socially of the case surge is that more in India will want to get the vaccine and hopefully increase demand and shots in arms. Sad that it works that way...I believe it did also in the USA in January / February.

Last edited:

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
We need to bombard them with vaccine...J&J needs to get in the arms as well as AZ all over India...and we need people and supplies to get that done. This is where I see not only government but church groups that should be involved in this worldwide effort to save lives.
India produces 60% of ALL Vaccines distributed world wide and has the largest vaccine manufacturing capacity in the world. However, they have 200 million doses being made in India that have already been purchased by 92 different countries.

Today political opposition begin to blame the Indian PM and blaming her for India's situation saying the vaccines should be going to people in India first before anywhere else in the world.

There is fear that if India pulls contracts with other countries, it could lead to a world wide shortage of COVID vaccines

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
PM of India issued a declaration today requiring 50% of all vaccines produced in the country must be handed off to the Indian Govt. The remainder then go to India's states or to the open market at a pre-determined price.

They also announced they are removing restrictions on who can get the vaccine starting May 1st in the country and will open vaccines up to everyone over 18 years of age

https://www.reuters.com/world/india/indias-daily-covid-19-cases-rise-by-record-273810-2021-04-19/

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
India produces 60% of ALL Vaccines distributed world wide and has the largest vaccine manufacturing capacity in the world. However, they have 200 million doses being made in India that have already been purchased by 92 different countries.

Today political opposition begin to blame the Indian PM and blaming her for India's situation saying the vaccines should be going to people in India first before anywhere else in the world.

There is fear that if India pulls contracts with other countries, it could lead to a world wide shortage of COVID vaccines
Their major slow down in vaccine delivery has a direct tie to their increase in cases and deaths. They had stepped it up and fell sharply right then cases picked up dramatically. I do wonder if their testing also cranked up? Look at the numbers, it's interesting to say the least how dramatically tied to the decrease in vaccine seems to be to their surge.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
India's daily infection charts are wild

View attachment 89860
I think a lot of us were wondering when it would really hit India. Other than climate, they seem like a perfect environment for this to spread like wildfire with tragic consequences. Lots of dense living with multigenerational homes in their largest cities, which also happen to be some of the densest cities in the world, far higher than even New York.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
I think a lot of us were wondering when it would really hit India. Other than climate, they seem like a perfect environment for this to spread like wildfire with tragic consequences. Lots of dense living with multigenerational homes in their largest cities, which also happen to be some of the densest cities in the world, far higher than even New York.
IF/WHEN our population is saturated and won't take the shots we need to export them. Others really need them and IF we aren't taking them we need to ship them out. America was a light to a dark world for a long time, we need to renew that light as it's dimmed lately. A bunch of Mother Teresa's would be helpful about now.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
13 of the worlds top 30 most densely populated cities are in India.

For example. Chennai India has a population density of 64,655 people per square mile....and that was back in 2017

Nov 23, 2010
We seem to be hitting the end of the plateau and are about to taking a big dive in cases a la Israel. Seems that once you get the elderly/vulnerable populations done you drop the case rate by a decent bit and the death rate craters. Case rate plateaus until you get close to 50% of the population vaccinated and then drops like a stone. Still early, but it seems to be the case. Check out Michigan, New York, etc. Increases in the 7 day average stopped about 10 days ago for almost all states and we are super close to the 50% mark (of the adult population).

Memorial Day could be our big "opening back up" holiday. Time lose to the quarantine pounds for the pool. It's not just the freshman 10 I've put on, it's closer to the...COVID-19. :oops:

Couldn't help myself.
Oklahoma is definitely in a free fall. 7 day average of 268 today. Was 314 on Thursday. It will probably tick back up some tomorrow and Wednesday, but still be a drop after a plateau.

We're six weeks out from opening vaccines up to essential workers. And that was also about the time that appointments started being available all the time even in the metros.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
The today show started off this morning with how everyone in Texas is going to die because they had a full stadium at the rangers game. ITS OUTDOORS YOU IDIOTS! What are the chances of covid spreading person to person in an outdoor setting? Of course their main deal was “its against the CDC recommendations.” I’m at the point in time Fauci and all of the other clowns at the cdc can kiss my a$$. I’m so tired of hearing about it.
Just checked stats for the Dallas area. Numbers are pretty much the same or down in the last ten days. I’m confident the Today show lead story on Monday will be about how they were wrong
Yeah, we know that would never happen.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
My mom and her friend were some of the first known cases in OK (somehow), and both of them have had a few antibody tests over the last year, and both had strong antibody counts 9 months after they had the virus. Her friend actually saw her antibody counts go UP over that time, even though she hadn't had the vaccine. They are both overweight, out of shape, and in their 60's.

But my bigger question is.......why is it so concerning if hospital #'s go up a bit if there's not enough volume left to come close to overwhelming the system?
It's good they are checking their antibodies, I actually did the same thing before I got my first dose back in December because, at the time, I was going to wait if I had antibodies and I falsely thought I had the virus in the spring of 2020. Antibodies lasting a long time is a great sign.

If hospitalizations go up a bit and community spread also goes up it means that its likely to go up more and so will death. However, if we can totally squish it, why not do it? Certainly a balance will likely have to be struck because we may not get full participation with the vaccine, if we did we wouldn't even have to think about it anymore and becomes a non-issue in terms of other types of mitigation.

I'm glad your mom and her sister are getting checked, they need to keep on doing that if they plan on not getting the vaccine as long as their is community spread. However, it's likely that their doctors will advise them to get it...and it would be advisable if they want to travel to certain locations because it will be easier than all the testing they will have to do otherwise. Either way they / we need to do what our doctors advise.
We need to make the antibody tests free and they could track it easily. But several studies have shown so far that it lasts at least 6-9 months and due to the "t-cell memory" (I think that's it), it can be a lot longer.

Last edited:

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
You say if hospitalizations increase, that deaths will go up. Who is going to die, though? What % of the population is simultaneously at risk, unvaccinated, and hasn't already been exposed? That number has to be really small by now.
We all hope so....bottom line, if all the unvaccinated get the vaccine I think we are pretty assured of that.
But that won't happen. More than one person in my family will no way no how be getting the vaccine. There is no talking them into it.
And no matter what the cdc says in public, there are people that have adverse reactions to vaccines and it is genetic. I've seen a family with kids that developed allergies and masto and other things (multiple kids different ages) right after their 6 month vaccines. Parents choose to stop at one time and then to space out the vaccines once older and there were still issues, but not as drastic.

These people are hesitant to take a vaccine that's been around the block, let alone one that's a baby in comparison.

Last edited:
May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
13 of the worlds top 30 most densely populated cities are in India.

For example. Chennai India has a population density of 64,655 people per square mile....and that was back in 2017
Exactly, how they've avoided a surge like this before now is a mystery. I think the world should be hoping that it doesn't get much worse, but preparing for India's surge to be a complete tragedy. Their population is so large and current vaccination rates so low that it seems impossible that they could prevent something catastrophic, but may only soften the blow that's coming over the next month or two.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
We shouldn't need 70% of the population to be vaccinated. We would need 70% of the population with immunity. Why are you assuming that immunity only occurs via vaccinations when we know that asymptomatic cases far outnumbers symptomatic ones AND that antibody counts can remain strong after people contract the virus?

Also, the risk (of severe cases) has always been very low for the vast majority of us....
The 70% number would assume that an additional portion of the population (roughly half of those unvaccinated) have some kind of immunity from prior exposure. Given the r0 of this thing, we need about 85% of the population with some kind of immunity in order to suppress the virus. There's 0 chance that happens, at least in state like Oklahoma and Texas. There's too much vaccine hesitancy.
But those hesitant are also ones not taking precautions and being cautious, right (that's what some of the media is saying)? Wouldn't that mean they'd get it and thus be part of the 85%?

Last edited:

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
Exactly, how they've avoided a surge like this before now is a mystery. I think the world should be hoping that it doesn't get much worse, but preparing for India's surge to be a complete tragedy. Their population is so large and current vaccination rates so low that it seems impossible that they could prevent something catastrophic, but may only soften the blow that's coming over the next month or two.
I was reading an article earlier where some hospitals have built concrete pads next to them with a giant metal funeral pyre on them and are just burning bodies because they have no place to put them. It could be devastating to India.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
We, as a nation, have passed 200 million in shots given at 202 million....vaccination looks to be a safe effective way to curb the virus IF you and others get it.
And Trump predicted it, to the ridicule of the press.

https://twitter.com/DailyCaller/status/1384175946601680899?s=19

Boomer.....

Territorial Marshal
Feb 15, 2007
OKC
I thought I read early on that COVID in India was out of control and the government simply didn't have the capacity to test many people. So the cases and deaths were artificially low because of them not being reported (ie. China). This was around the time when the government instantly shut down grocery stores and public transportation.