Covid-19

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
This is what bothers me about people saying it’s time to get back to normal. I don’t think we’re going back to our old normal anytime soon... if ever.
Why not man? I do think it's possible and we need to get it done soon...like fall at latest. Heck even the POTUS is having a virus freedom day on July 4th...the intent has always been to get back to normal like 2018/19 normal again. Wouldn't that be great? I think everyone should want that...no???

TheMonkey

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
I totally get that...I kind of thought they would just leave it in place until the end of school... I don't really have a problem with a nurse overstating that it's "child abuse." I guess it could be considered a mild form of that in some circumstances like a kid with asthma like I had as a child...or a kid who found them to be terrifying because they cover their mouth and nose. No one likes this kind of change and I'm so glad I no longer have small children because I'm sure the emotions of all this have been crazy for those of you with smaller kids.

So, in short, while I personally wouldn't call it "child abuse," I do think it's a bit harsh to fire a nurse who said that...maybe have a talk with her about not using extreme language?? Anyway, sorry I snoozed the post...maybe an over reaction.
Maybe Tucker will subsidize her income since he set off the chain reaction.

Jostate

Bluecolla's sock
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
This is what bothers me about people saying it’s time to get back to normal. I don’t think we’re going back to our old normal anytime soon... if ever.
I am. I'm too young to turn into my mom wringing her hands about one more scary thing.

I did the masks, I'm fully vaccinated. I'm ready to take my chances.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
I totally get that...I kind of thought they would just leave it in place until the end of school... I don't really have a problem with a nurse overstating that it's "child abuse." I guess it could be considered a mild form of that in some circumstances like a kid with asthma like I had as a child...or a kid who found them to be terrifying because they cover their mouth and nose. No one likes this kind of change and I'm so glad I no longer have small children because I'm sure the emotions of all this have been crazy for those of you with smaller kids.

So, in short, while I personally wouldn't call it "child abuse," I do think it's a bit harsh to fire a nurse who said that...maybe have a talk with her about not using extreme language?? Anyway, sorry I snoozed the post...maybe an over reaction.
I don't know this specific story, but nurses are mandated reporters and unfortunately have to regularly report real child abuse. If she's been at a school for very long at all, she's seen and heard things that would make you sick to your stomach. Confusing the two is inexcusable in her position.

My 3 year old wears a mask without issue and has for almost a year. He gets to pick out his favorite mask every morning and gets excited to show his friends on days when he steals his older sibling's mask. His daycare has several other children in masks who also don't seem bothered by it in the slightest. My son also puts it on at times when he doesn't need it just for fun. For most kids, it's only awkward if you make it awkward.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
I don't know this specific story, but nurses are mandated reporters and unfortunately have to regularly report real child abuse. If she's been at a school for very long at all, she's seen and heard things that would make you sick to your stomach. Confusing the two is inexcusable in her position.

My 3 year old wears a mask without issue and has for almost a year. He gets to pick out his favorite mask every morning and gets excited to show his friends on days when he steals his older sibling's mask. His daycare has several other children in masks who also don't seem bothered by it in the slightest. My son also puts it on at times when he doesn't need it just for fun. For most kids, it's only awkward if you make it awkward.
All licensed health care professionals have a statutory duty to report suspected child abuse.

steross

he/him
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
We will. Half the country has been normal for months. The other half will be there once their kids get vaccinated.
I don't think you and he are using the same definition of normal.

Look at HIV. When it first started, doctors were trying to operate with metal mesh gloves. Many gay people were essentially celibate. A blood transfusion was crazy scary. None of that happens anymore. But, things have never returned to how they once were.
Things will be more normal than they were, obviously. But, it will never be what it was.

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
I don't think you and he are using the same definition of normal.

Look at HIV. When it first started, doctors were trying to operate with metal mesh gloves. Many gay people were essentially celibate. A blood transfusion was crazy scary. None of that happens anymore. But, things have never returned to how they once were.
Things will be more normal than they were, obviously. But, it will never be what it was.
this is the ever loving truth.jpg

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Obviously I'm well aware. My particular issue here is also that she's a provider at a school. Schools are the number one place where child abuse is detected.
I knew you were aware, but I'm sure there were many lay people here who weren't. I had a colleague turn in a parent who was using Benadryl sedation as punishment. She let it slip in front of him, "If you don't stop it I'll put you in pink time out."

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
I knew you were aware, but I'm sure there were many lay people here who weren't. I had a colleague turn in a parent who was using Benadryl sedation as punishment. She let it slip in front of him, "If you don't stop it I'll put you in pink time out."
Right. I'd like to say that's the first time I've heard of that. Lots of stories about Benadryl for cranky toddlers.

Boomer.....

Territorial Marshal
Feb 15, 2007
OKC
It would be scary to know the real numbers.
India recorded a single-day high in new coronavirus cases on Friday. The embattled country recorded 414,188 cases in a single day, a new global high. The country also reported 3,915 additional deaths, and the official daily death count has stayed over 3,000 for the past 10 days.

I'm sure it's actually much worse than that too.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
India recorded a single-day high in new coronavirus cases on Friday. The embattled country recorded 414,188 cases in a single day, a new global high. The country also reported 3,915 additional deaths, and the official daily death count has stayed over 3,000 for the past 10 days.

I'm sure it's actually much worse than that too.
I wouldn't be surprised if they have had 60K to 100K deaths in the last 10 days. The official count is over 30K deaths in 10 days and they think they are under reporting deaths by a min factor of 2:1

Boomer.....

Territorial Marshal
Feb 15, 2007
OKC
Tested positive yesterday, sick as a dog last night. Getting an antibody infusion today.

I played guitar at a little church two weeks ago. They had a women's conference hosted by the church during the week and several members ended up testing positive. I was shaking hands that morning and no one was wearing masks. That is likely where I was exposed. Symptoms started the following Sunday morning... 7 days.

If the church had been in Ohio we would have been masking and distancing.

Irony, Oklahoma makes me sick.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
I'm truly sorry that you caught COVID and even worse for a second time. I'm praying for a speedy recovery for you.

However, you more so that anyone knows OKLAHOMA didn't get you sick. Everyone has the right to wear as much PPE as they chose and even with added protection there is still the chance you could get sick. Also, Oklahoma currently sits at 5 cases per 100K while Ohio sits at 11 cases per 100K so where's that added level of safety?

Sep 22, 2011
I got my second moderna shot yesterday, fever this morning but feeling ok other than that and a sore arm. But thats not what I want to report, i went to the health center which is the biggest vaccination center for 50-60 miles, they had open appointments all day and I was the only kne there getting a shot. Vaccinations are over in rural OK, whoever has them now, is who is going to get them, which means we max out at about 50% with at least 1 shot, and maybe 40% fully vaccinated thats reality, this is where division and hate and infotainment has brought us, and now we have to figure out how to move forward with people as they are

UrbanCowboy1

Some cowboys gots smarts real good like me.
Aug 8, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
I got my second moderna shot yesterday, fever this morning but feeling ok other than that and a sore arm. But thats not what I want to report, i went to the health center which is the biggest vaccination center for 50-60 miles, they had open appointments all day and I was the only kne there getting a shot. Vaccinations are over in rural OK, whoever has them now, is who is going to get them, which means we max out at about 50% with at least 1 shot, and maybe 40% fully vaccinated thats reality, this is where division and hate and infotainment has brought us, and now we have to figure out how to move forward with people as they are
I have a hypothesis that once the shots are widely available in doctors offices we'll pick up an additional 10-20% of the population. The personal connection between the patients and their GP's is going to be a very valuable tool.