Cowboy Baseball: Pokes vs Warhawks

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Herecomesbullets

Territorial Marshal
Nov 14, 2010
We're going into Conference weekends with Scott, Wrobleski, Osmond. Campbell and Standlee.

That's 5 pretty good pitchers to cover 27 outs.

We need 1 of other other power arms to become areliable long relief weekend guy.

Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma
I'm all for trying to get Walker going....but as a midweek starter??? No thank you!! Kid hasn't been the same since his freshman year at LSU. Injuries have hurt him and he's yet to rekindle the play he had when he led him to the CWS. Let Varela start midweek and try to get Walker some innings here and there.

Herecomesbullets

Territorial Marshal
Nov 14, 2010
I'm all for trying to get Walker going....but as a midweek starter??? No thank you!! Kid hasn't been the same since his freshman year at LSU. Injuries have hurt him and he's yet to rekindle the play he had when he led him to the CWS. Let Varela start midweek and try to get Walker some innings here and there.
I dont have a problem giving him a chance at mid week, but, he needs to throw to Mathis if he is going to pitch.

Mathis was his catcher in the 2019 season at LSU, so, throwing to him would make him more comfortable.

SanditeCowboy

Territorial Marshal
Jan 11, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Looking back the last several years it seems (purely speculation) our hitting philosophy is all about power hitting at the expense of high strikeout numbers. You don't see us typically playing small ball and piecing together singles. Late in the year it seems that always happens a bit more but it just seems like we are coaching this considering we see it every year.
I was thinking this exact thing tonight in those early innings when they walked the bases loaded and the Cowboys couldn’t drive anyone home.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SanditeCowboy

Territorial Marshal
Jan 11, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Not sure if Josh was playing lots of players to give them the opportunity to play in a Major League stadium or if he was trying to get them some experience for teaching purposes, but that was brutal.

They tried to keep OSU in the game early and the Cowboys absolutely refused to accept the invitation.

They have got to figure out the hitting, if it continues things can get ugly, even with the weekend rotation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Aug 28, 2009
This is exactly the type of probable loss the committee uses at the end of the year to bump down a seed and impact hosting. Anyone who thinks these games don’t matter in a 60 game season is dead wrong. If you want to experiment on the mound or in the field, do it with a 10 run lead in the late innings.
I think hosting anything should be our least concern at the moment.

OState77

Territorial Marshal
Feb 4, 2004
I think hosting anything should be our least concern at the moment.
You have to have goals, with each game a step in that direction. This game was absolutely anything but, from coaching to performance on the field. And sporting a shiny new $60 million stadium, hosting better dang sure be one of them.

OState77

Territorial Marshal
Feb 4, 2004
Well it took only 15 games for us to finally lose a game we were supposed to win, and people are pulling out the same old tired lines they’ve used for a decade now on this board. Kind of sad.
Losing a game is one thing, but this was a very bad loss in many respects. I think a lot of people didn’t like, but understood losing to a Vanderbilt, but the type of performance that was shown tonight should not be acceptable to anyone.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma
I dont have a problem giving him a chance at mid week, but, he needs to throw to Mathis if he is going to pitch.

Mathis was his catcher in the 2019 season at LSU, so, throwing to him would make him more comfortable.
I don't know if Mathis would make a world of difference....this is a guy that doesn't have great stuff to begin with. This is why I wasn't too fired up when he chose to come here....We're getting damaged goods from LSU... If his breaking pitches aren't hitting, he's good as dead b/c he has a heat that's mid 80's and touches 87 at times. He's a very hittable pitcher, and no where near the guy he was when he was a freshman. And he's coming off injury from preseason. I hope he gets it going, but honestly if he can't, let someone else eat his innings.

Cro

we need some celery and a can of fake snow
A/V Subscriber
Apr 6, 2010
Edmond
Well it took only 15 games for us to finally lose a game we were supposed to win, and people are pulling out the same old tired lines they’ve used for a decade now on this board. Kind of sad.
THIS^. the uneducated "baseball minds" on this board are some of the most pathetic fans I've ever seen. do you guys realize that ou beat Arky in Fayetteville last night - beat them pretty good. guess Arky should cancel he season also, right?

Cro

A/V Subscriber
Apr 6, 2010
Edmond
Losing a game is one thing, but this was a very bad loss in many respects. I think a lot of people didn’t like, but understood losing to a Vanderbilt, but the type of performance that was shown tonight should not be acceptable to anyone.
are you f'n kidding me? did you even watch the Vandy series. Do you realized the firepower they had on the mound the 1st 2 games? do you understand why baseball plays more games than any other sport? have you ever put on a baseball glove in your life?

Aug 9, 2011
Perry, OK
Probably because we do the same crap each year.....probably why we keep saying the same things over and over. some things have to change especially in midweek. Not giving two craps about a midweek game, obvious we didn't, hurts you in the long run to host.

Aug 9, 2011
Perry, OK
are you f'n kidding me? did you even watch the Vandy series. Do you realized the firepower they had on the mound the 1st 2 games? do you understand why baseball plays more games than any other sport? have you ever put on a baseball glove in your life?
Yes I have played baseball and softball all of my life and understand it perfectly. I get the ebs and flows of seasons but to not go out and compete against a team that you are far better than is unacceptable! Beating Arkansas is one thing and congrats to OU for it, still don't think they are great. but losing to ULM is another. Don't like our opinions, ignore or scroll by but I am sick of mediocrity during the midweek!

Cro

A/V Subscriber
Apr 6, 2010
Edmond
Yes I have played baseball and softball all of my life and understand it perfectly. I get the ebs and flows of seasons but to not go out and compete against a team that you are far better than is unacceptable! Beating Arkansas is one thing and congrats to OU for it, still don't think they are great. but losing to ULM is another. Don't like our opinions, ignore or scroll by but I am sick of mediocrity during the midweek!
do you know anything about Arkansas and/or ou? do you know who Arkansas started on the mound last night, it being a midweek game and all? i'm glad you understand that losing to Vandy when they are throwing, what could possibly be the top 2 picks in the draft - overall, is somewhat acceptable. obviously, your baseball knowledge is vast. beer league softball made you an expert, it seems.......

Duke Silver

Find safe haven in a warm bathtub full of my jazz.
A/V Subscriber
Sep 17, 2004
Cozy's Bar
do you know anything about Arkansas and/or ou? do you know who Arkansas started on the mound last night, it being a midweek game and all? i'm glad you understand that losing to Vandy when they are throwing, what could possibly be the top 2 picks in the draft - overall, is somewhat acceptable. obviously, your baseball knowledge is vast. beer league softball made you an expert, it seems.......
One of them said swing flat!!!!!! Lol