Facebook under fire for encouraging border crisis with ads for human smugglers, cartels: Rep. Kat Cammack

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Cimarron

It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.
Jun 28, 2007
EXCLUSIVE: Rep. Kat Cammack, R-Fla., sent a scathing letter to Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg Wednesday for trying to "silence" conservative views on his platform while allowing human smugglers and cartels to "openly" operate on the social media site.

The Florida freshman, fresh off a visit to the southern border, accused Facebook and other social media companies of perpetuating the border crisis by providing a means for drug cartels and coyotes to post paid advertisements that encourage migrants to cross into the United States illegally.

"Facebook’s role in the crisis at the border is urgent and must be addressed immediately," Cammack wrote Zuckerberg in a letter first obtained by Fox News.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/kat-cammack-facebook-border-crisis-ads-human-smugglers-cartels

Cimarron

Jun 28, 2007
Mexico is one of the global centers of the child prostitution trade and a source and transit country for large numbers of migrants moving northward from Central America. There are an estimated 16,000 to 20,000 Mexican and Central American children who are trafficked for sex in Mexico.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_trafficking_in_Mexico

TheMonkey

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
If anything like that makes it through Facebook’s monitoring, my guess is the authorities knew about it already and use the information for enforcement. Much like they run sting operations on pedophiles who use social channels online.

If the timing of this isn’t obvious, the article makes it clear at the end. This is purely political pressure for not reinstating Trump’s account.

———
Cammack's letter comes as a Facebook board Wednesday upheld the company's ban on former President Donald Trump stemming from his conduct surrounding the Jan. 6 riot. She said Facebook should spend more time policing drug cartels than conservatives.

"Facebook clearly has no problem monitoring and censoring conservative voices on a daily basis, so I am confident your company has the capabilities and resources to detect and prevent criminal enterprises from posting content that encourages and facilitates illicit activity," Cammack wrote.

Cimarron

Jun 28, 2007
There is no reason to think drug cartels and other criminal elements would use social media.....

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
Facebook is too busy fighting against free speech to waste time fighting against human trafficking. One has to have priorities I guess.

BUT, anybody who complains about Facebook while still logging in every day for their fix has their own priorities and it isn't holding Facebook accountable for any perceived grievances. If you have a problem with any social media site, quit asking the government to fix it for you, just cancel your account.

Last edited: