Fall Baseball

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Aug 19, 2015
ataballfield
It appears they are gong to split each day's scrimmage up into 6-7 innings for a total of 12-14 innings each day. I don't think there will be any broadcast or streaming(bummer).

Ptak'sNewspaper

Territorial Marshal
Sep 30, 2004
On Tour with the Gap Band
strikeupthegapband.com
Well, this is annoying. These clowns are NOT AT ALL interested in actually calling this game.

5-5 tied by the points score, going to the 5th. But, no actual runs have been scored by either team. No surprises there, as hitters always seem to struggle early against live pitching.

Boone apparently had a really nice running catch at the wall in LCF last inning, and it sounded like Funk made a nice diving play at 1st this inning then tossing to Leeper for the out. It sounded like Elliott was struggling with command early, but worked out of it. Leeper was great in his only inning so far.

Ptak'sNewspaper

Territorial Marshal
Sep 30, 2004
strikeupthegapband.com
Our pitching is terrific so far today. Our hitters, on the other hand, are getting carved up.

If there's anything that Holliday needs to figure out, it's the extended slow offensive starts to each season. I'm sure that the teaching philosophy (patience) probably factors into that, but we can't wait until April every year to hit any sort of offensive stride.

Feb 25, 2018
North Texas
Our pitching is terrific so far today. Our hitters, on the other hand, are getting carved up.

If there's anything that Holliday needs to figure out, it's the extended slow offensive starts to each season. I'm sure that the teaching philosophy (patience) probably factors into that, but we can't wait until April every year to hit any sort of offensive stride.
I agree. I know that hitters should be a little behind the pitchers at this point but 4 hits over 14 innings of baseball. That doesn't make me feel very good. Sounded a lot like last year. Upper cuts and loopy swings!

Ptak'sNewspaper

Territorial Marshal
Sep 30, 2004
strikeupthegapband.com
I agree. I know that hitters should be a little behind the pitchers at this point but 4 hits over 14 innings of baseball. That doesn't make me feel very good. Sounded a lot like last year. Upper cuts and loopy swings!

I had to step away about the second inning of the second scrimmage. How did that one turn out?

I'm not really concerned, overall. We have the hitters. I just don't want to see the whole team start out on a 6 week slump to begin the season like last year. Chances are we're facing a preseason top 10 team this weekend though. Good experience for our guys.

Feb 25, 2018
North Texas
I had to step away about the second inning of the second scrimmage. How did that one turn out?

I'm not really concerned, overall. We have the hitters. I just don't want to see the whole team start out on a 6 week slump to begin the season like last year. Chances are we're facing a preseason top 10 team this weekend though. Good experience for our guys.
We got beat on the scoreboard and in the points in the second game pretty good. You are correct. It's a little unfair to be too concerned about our hitting today. Vandy has a better pitching staff than most of the teams we will play this year (by far). We made a couple of big errors due to sun in outfielders eyes and I've heard many time that Vandy has one of the hardest sun fields in the country. Overally, I'm not too bummed out with today's baseball. I'd like to see us clean up the defensive mistakes and hit the ball better tomorrow and I think they will consider it a successful weekend!

Matt_bob123

SBC presents Mattbob
Oct 16, 2003
Well, this is annoying. These clowns are NOT AT ALL interested in actually calling this game.

5-5 tied by the points score, going to the 5th. But, no actual runs have been scored by either team. No surprises there, as hitters always seem to struggle early against live pitching.

Boone apparently had a really nice running catch at the wall in LCF last inning, and it sounded like Funk made a nice diving play at 1st this inning then tossing to Leeper for the out. It sounded like Elliott was struggling with command early, but worked out of it. Leeper was great in his only inning so far.
Boone took off on a train for the wall, then held up like a WR on an unthrown ball so he could time his leap. Jumped up and grabbed a home run ball. It was fantastic.

I wouldn’t read anything in to yesterday, for the first 9 innings (if it were a game) we were hitless, but we only allowed 1 run using a lot of pitchers. Kumar Rocker, the Vandy freshman to start the second quarter, he may end up being a first rounder, but he was getting a strike zone that I could work. Boone’s first two called strikes were no where near a traditional strike zone. So then guys have to go up there swinging, because you have no idea what will be called. I was not impressed with the SEC crew

Aug 24, 2015
Houston
Boone took off on a train for the wall, then held up like a WR on an unthrown ball so he could time his leap. Jumped up and grabbed a home run ball. It was fantastic.

I wouldn’t read anything in to yesterday, for the first 9 innings (if it were a game) we were hitless, but we only allowed 1 run using a lot of pitchers. Kumar Rocker, the Vandy freshman to start the second quarter, he may end up being a first rounder, but he was getting a strike zone that I could work. Boone’s first two called strikes were no where near a traditional strike zone. So then guys have to go up there swinging, because you have no idea what will be called. I was not impressed with the SEC crew
Where you there yesterday and today