Has anyone considered…Big 12 tiebreakers

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

UrbanCowboy1

Some cowboys gots smarts real good like me.
Aug 8, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
Didn't know if that was official: ISU and BU would play each other in that scenario. Despite Baylor losing to the manic pixie dream frogs on Saturday.

NinjaPoke

Deputy
A/V Subscriber
Jul 9, 2016
Lawton, OK
Best thing is for the goons and us to win out until bedlam. That guarantees Bedlam 2.0 no matter what.

ISU and Baylor already have two losses and have yet to play OU. If OU beats both teams they will now have 3 losses.

If we go to Bedlam 10-1 and goons 11-0…Bedlam 2.0 no matter what.

Not saying we should root for OU…if ISU and Baylor get the job..nice, but it’s better for OU to win out until bedlam.

Mar 31, 2011
How do you assume that they would split divisions that would allow us to end up meeting Iowa State in the championship game? North South would put us with Iowa State in the North division. East West would be a little harder to figure out but depending on how that angled out would still be in then same division as Iowa state.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
I didn't mention anything about future divisions? I was referencing the old divisions and how if they still existed, it would benefit OSU tremendously this season.

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
How do you assume that they would split divisions that would allow us to end up meeting Iowa State in the championship game? North South would put us with Iowa State in the North division. East West would be a little harder to figure out but depending on how that angled out would still be in then same division as Iowa state.

A 3-team (4) pod system makes the most geographical sense.

If going to a (2) 6- team division. East - West makes the most geographical sense.

East:
UCF
WVU
Cini
ISU
KU
KSU

West:
BYU
TTU
BU
TCU
OSU
UH

Now that I think about it if you divided North South you would just flip BYU / UCF. But it wouldn’t make sense to have UCF not in the same division as WVU and Cini.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
To be honest, if we don't make the title game, I'd prefer ou not make it either....to have ou mathematically eliminated by bedlam and capable only of playing spoiler would be somewhat satisfying.

However, our best (only?) chance at the CFP is for us to beat an undefeated ou team. And it would be nice if our spot in the title game was locked up before Bedlam. So I'm going to hope ou beats bu and ISU, but I won't be heartbroken if it doesn't happen.

Sep 17, 2019
Edmond
Simply put, the outcome of us getting to the CCG comes down to OU vs. ISU. That tells us what needs to happen in bedlam. Baylor is a good team but OU should beat them. It's a bad match-up. I also think the OU vs. ISU game will give us a good idea of what we need to do against OU. They will likely have a similar game plan against us.

My eyes are on the OU vs. ISU game.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011

I didn't mention anything about future divisions? I was referencing the old divisions and how if they still existed, it would benefit OSU tremendously this season.
Old divisions... I honestly don't remember. Were we in south or north?

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011

A 3-team (4) pod system makes the most geographical sense.

If going to a (2) 6- team division. East - West makes the most geographical sense.

East:
UCF
WVU
Cini
ISU
KU
KSU

West:
BYU
TTU
BU
TCU
OSU
UH

Now that I think about it if you divided North South you would just flip BYU / UCF. But it wouldn’t make sense to have UCF not in the same division as WVU and Cini.
I'm simply talking this year, and I think he is too, but he is trying to use the old divisions. 2 divisions now would put us in north or east with ISU. So no CCG against them.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
There’s no question our best chance to make the CFP is to have OU win out until bedlam. But if we focus solely on the B12 race, is there a scenario with OU losing a game before bedlam that makes our path to the CCG easier? I can’t find one. Certainly ISU beating OU does more harm than good, but does BU beating OU do us any good? Again, I can’t find a scenario where it helps us, but there is a scenario where it hurts us. Its convoluted, but here’s the scenario:

OSU- loses to TCU or TT, loses to OU
OU- loses to BU, beats ISU and OSU
BU - beats OU, KSU and TT
ISU - beats TT, loses to OU, beats TCU

OU 8-1
BU 7-2
OSU and ISU 6-3

In that scenario if OU instead beats BU, there’s a 3-way tie for second at 6-3 between ISU, BU and OSU. In that case the tiebreaker probably goes to OSU because ISU would get eliminated by their loss to WVU (assumes WVU goes 2-1 v KSU, UT and KU) then our head to head win over BU would send us to the CCG.

So, if it does us no good and potential harm in the conference race for BU to beat OU, then we can shift our focus back to the CFP which means we need OU to beat BU.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2011
Bixby
In my eyes, the ideal scenario for OSU is pretty clear.

Baylor beats OU
OU beats ISU

This would eliminate ISU from the CCG and give OSU the opportunity to eliminate OU. This is perfect for multiple reasons.

1.) We don't want to play OU twice.

2.) We get into the CCG regardless of the Bedlam outcome. This is, of course, assuming we beat TCU and Tech (please God).

3.) This would give us the easiest possible path to a conference title.

4.) Winning the conference title "should" be enough to put us in the CFP.

Beating OU twice would obviously carry more weight in the committee's eyes, but we'll need a few things to happen in other leagues no matter what. If those things happen, it won't matter who we played in the CCG because other conferences would be effectively eliminated.

If the SEC gets two and Oregon doesn't lose again, we're out. These are the possible playoff scenarios I see:

1.) SEC Champ
2.) Big 10 Champ
3.) SEC runner-up
4.) Oregon

Or

1.) UGA
2.) Big 10 Champ
3.) Big 12 Champ
4.) Oregon/Cincy

Or... if the Big 10 eats itself, which is possible

1.) SEC Champ
2.) Big 12 Champ
3.) SEC runner-up
4.) Cincy/Oregon

Or... if the Big 10 eats itself AND the SEC gets one (my dream scenario).

1.) UGA
2.) Big 12 Champ
3.) Oregon
4.) Cincy

At any rate, it's super premature to be talking about this stuff but that's the fun of college football.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Sep 17, 2019
Edmond

Baylor beats OU
OU beats ISU

This would eliminate ISU from the CCG and give OSU the opportunity to eliminate OU. This is perfect for multiple reasons.

2.) We get into the CCG regardless of the Bedlam outcome. This is, of course, assuming we beat TCU and Tech (please God).

Beating OU twice would obviously carry more weight in the committee's eyes, but we'll need a few things to happen in other leagues no matter what. If those things happen, it won't matter who we played in the CCG because other conferences would be effectively eliminated.

If the SEC gets two and Oregon doesn't lose again, we're out. These are the possible playoff scenarios I see:

1.) SEC Champ
2.) Big 10 Champ
3.) SEC runner-up
4.) Oregon

Or

1.) UGA
2.) Big 10 Champ
3.) Big 12 Champ
4.) Oregon/Cincy

1.) SEC Champ
2.) Big 12 Champ
3.) SEC runner-up
4.) Cincy/Oregon

1.) UGA
2.) Big 12 Champ
3.) Oregon
4.) Cincy

At any rate, it's super premature to be talking about this stuff but that's the fun of college football.

We need to play and beat an undefeated OU to get into the CFP.

Jul 27, 2011
Bixby

Baylor beats OU
OU beats ISU

1.) SEC Champ
2.) Big 10 Champ
3.) SEC runner-up
4.) Oregon

Or

1.) UGA
2.) Big 10 Champ
3.) Big 12 Champ
4.) Oregon/Cincy

1.) SEC Champ
2.) Big 12 Champ
3.) SEC runner-up
4.) Cincy/Oregon

1.) UGA
2.) Big 12 Champ
3.) Oregon
4.) Cincy

I disagree. The only way for OSU to get it into the CFP is if the SEC gets one team (seems likely), the Big 10 eliminates itself (very unlikely), or Oregon loses (unlikely).

If those things don't happen, it doesn't matter if OSU plays OU, Baylor, or ISU in the CCG. We're not jumping Oregon, Bama, or the Big 10 champ no matter who we play.

So with that in mind, why not root for the best odds of winning the CCG?

Mar 11, 2006
THIS.

We need to get over our OU hatred and realize we NEED them to be undefeated. If they are undefeated, we take care of business, and we beat a top 5 and then top 10 team back2back --- it will be hard to keep us out.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
I disagree. The only way for OSU to get it into the CFP is if the SEC gets one team (seems likely), the Big 10 eliminates itself (very unlikely), or Oregon loses (unlikely).

If those things don't happen, it doesn't matter if OSU plays OU, Baylor, or ISU in the CCG. We're not jumping Oregon, Bama, or the Big 10 champ no matter who we play.

So with that in mind, why not root for the best odds of winning the CCG?

Lets start with Oregon. They have a 12% chance of winning out. So it's unlikely Oregon will finish 12-1.

The tOSU v MSU game will eliminate one.
The tOSU v Mich game will eliminate one.
Mich and MSU both have to play PSU.
tOSU still has to play Purdue.
Then a 11-1 B10 East winner would still have to win the B10 CCG.
There's no way it's better than 50/50 there's a B10 champ with only 1 loss.

Cincy is not getting in unless there are only 3 or fewer 1-loss P5 teams.

If OSU goes 12-1, worse case is Oregon finishes 12-1, tOSU finishes 12-1, UGA and Bama also finish 12-1. There would then be 5 12-1 teams with 4 conference champions. Does OSU automatically get left out of that mix? IMO, I think Oregon with an absolutely horrible loss to Stanford (the single worst loss for 5 teams with one loss) gets left out.

Dec 2, 2008
SC
What would look stronger? Beating OU back to back or beating OU and then avenging our loss to ISU in the CCG?