If Football Is Cancelled

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Jostate

Bluecolla's sock
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
So you admit it’s your fault?
I've already thrown myself on my sword when I admitted to posting, "I think we've seen the worst this year has for us" before the Hubbard tweet and the NCAA dropped the hammer on basketball.

I bowed up to squinky, and he kicked me square in the nuts. I'm sorry you guys were collateral damage.

Aug 22, 2006
SE Oklahoma
You didn't read what I posted, I am not willing to take that risk even before covid. I'm not sure of the point you're trying to make. The players and staff are isolated and tested much more than any normal person. They are taking all the precautions. And college football is pure entertainment but the players see it as their opportunity for playing at the next level and probably want to play more than we want to watch.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Mar 27, 2020
Tulsa
You can make whatever decisions you want. But, frankly, this is a case where the adults, the people with expertise in things like, I don't know, medicine, epidemiology, and law, need to make decisions that 18-22 year olds simply aren't capable of making for themselves. You guys are proving that with every "you can't decide for me" post when college football is nothing but entertainment to you. And this "you can't decide for me" selfishness is what has brought us to this place, where we teeter on the brink of not having football this fall, and maybe even not have any college sports at all for 20-21.

So, congrats. Mission accomplished. Well done. You got what you wanted.
Exactly where HCMG's ignorant philosophy and people of his ilk have taken us. Thanks to you brave, tough, constitution wrapped, rugged individuals, we are going to miss out on watching a potentially great OSU team make a real run at a Big 12 Title. So while you guys and gals are sitting around on a beautiful autumn afternoon watching reruns of Dorothy Hamil trying to stick a double salchow, do a Traber and "give it up to yourself," because this is on you.

OrangeFan69

LA Face with an Okla. booty.
A/V Subscriber
Apr 24, 2010
Los Angeles 90046
instagram.com
I love football, played it for 10 years - from 3rd grade on.
I loved watching football. I grew up in Owasso, and Friday Night Rams Games in the 80's were THE event.
I loved college football. Watching Barry Sanders in the Holiday Bowl was the reason I started following Oklahoma St.

I loved Oklahoma State football during my undergrad years; I loved building Homecoming House Decs, screaming at schools like K-State and Texas A&M.

I loved taking my mom to the 2002 bedlam game when both goalposts came down.

Living in LA, I loved seeing the Cowboys on the Road at the Cotton Bowl twice, at Colorado, at Arizona, the Insight Bowl, at UCLA

I loved hosting the Oklahoma State Alumni group parties in LA, and highfiving people I met just before kickoff when we'd score on a long bomb from Rudolph to Washington.

I love all that stuff.

But people aren't going to come out to watch football. It's not safe. I don't know that it's safe for the players to play. It sucks. I love watching the Cowboys. I love trash talking my Big 12 friends when we beat them.

All this will be back soon. We can't wish away a virus. I'd advise listening to the doctors and the scientists.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2014
The back 40
Then why they hell do we play sports at all...anyone can get any virus at any time...

So your problem is that you still believe the press...especially press out of Washington. No one, and I mean NO ONE, reports factual news anymore, we have to fly basically blind and with logic based on statistics and facts...problem is we can't trust those that report them...not even so called "medical experts"...except maybe OAN ;)...it's is ALL filled with bias.
Let me make it easy for you—if the news agrees with your preconceived notions it’s true. If it challenges your opinions/beliefs/ideology in any way shape or form or if it in any way criticizes your political party and the elected officials/candidates you support, it’s fake news (at least that’s the way everybody seems to act anymore).

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
You didn't read what I posted, I am not willing to take that risk even before covid. I'm not sure of the point you're trying to make. The players and staff are isolated and tested much more than any normal person. They are taking all the precautions. And college football is pure entertainment but the players see it as their opportunity for playing at the next level and probably want to play more than we want to watch.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Of course they want to play, which is exactly why adults need to listen to physicians, epidemiologists, etc. and make decisions for them, because this is bigger than them. We can't subject them to risks that you wouldn't take yourself, and arguing "don't force it on me" when it is a decision being made for them doesn't make any sense.

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
I've already thrown myself on my sword when I admitted to posting, "I think we've seen the worst this year has for us" before the Hubbard tweet and the NCAA dropped the hammer on basketball.

I bowed up to squinky, and he kicked me square in the nuts. I'm sorry you guys were collateral damage.
Thanks for the volcano this morning too.

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
What if we develop a special football helmet? Works like a pressure space suit but only on the head. Air goes through multiple layer filter on the top. Screen guard goes all the way pass the chin and is almost made from solid crash absorption material. The only thing going in or out is air and triple filtered both ways. Yea..that’ll work. Like watching Indy cars crash.

Jostate

Bluecolla's sock
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
What if we develop a special football helmet? Works like a pressure space suit but only on the head. Air goes through multiple layer filter on the top. Screen guard goes all the way pass the chin and is almost made from solid crash absorption material. The only thing going in or out is air and triple filtered both ways. Yea..that’ll work. Like watching Indy cars crash.
Something like this?

1597099748751.png

Mar 11, 2006
We. Are in the middle. Of a pandemic. With a new. Disease.
We’ve had a lot more games and practices occur over the summer with HS athletes throughout the nation. Many more than of all the future college games and practice combined. Where are the stories of massive problems? Am I missing them? Is CNN suddenly not wanting to cover bad stories.

Students want to play. Their parents want to play. I have two nieces that play college soccer - they want to play. I am friends with a parent of one of our starters - his whole family wants him to play. I coach a very competitive basketball team and every single one of them wants to play and their parents do as well.
If they want to participate, why do you care?

We continue having Karen’s telling others what they should do with there lives. People need to stop worrying about others and take care of themselves.

LET. THEM. PLAY. #wewanttoplay

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
We’ve had a lot more games and practices occur over the summer with HS athletes throughout the nation. Many more than of all the future college games and practice combined. Where are the stories of massive problems? Am I missing them? Is CNN suddenly not wanting to cover bad stories.

Students want to play. Their parents want to play. I have two nieces that play college soccer - they want to play. I am friends with a parent of one of our starters - his whole family wants him to play. I coach a very competitive basketball team and every single one of them wants to play and their parents do as well.
If they want to participate, why do you care?

We continue having Karen’s telling others what they should do with there lives. People need to stop worrying about others and take care of themselves.

LET. THEM. PLAY. #wewanttoplay
Your assumption is that because stories haven't been written problems haven't occurred. Do I have that right? Absence of stories means absence of problems? So, if everyone would just, say, stop writing stories about, say, social justice riots then they would be nothing to worry about, right?

Even if we went forward with basketball and soccer, these are no collision sports like football. If you can tell me what the risk of pulmonary embolism and stroke is in football in the middle of the COVID-19 pandemic when COVID-19 increases the risk of PE and stroke, then I'll believe we have enough information for these athletes to make informed decisions about their health and the game. But instead you want to play "absence of information means everything is okay" games.

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wait, so if the presidents of the universities all decide to shut it down, they're all Karens? Is that what you're saying? The university presidents should just stay out of it and just let the kids decide?

Feb 18, 2009
Wait, so if the presidents of the universities all decide to shut it down, they're all Karens? Is that what you're saying? The university presidents should just stay out of it and just let the kids decide?
Are they kids? They want to be compensated for their efforts. They’re talking about organizing as a player’s union. They can vote. They can influence movements and coaches livelihoods on social media. They can drive. Some can buy alcohol and firearms. At what age are they no longer “kids” and allowed to make their own decisions? Clearly you’ve got a number in mind, what is it?

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Are they kids? They want to be compensated for their efforts. They’re talking about organizing as a player’s union. They can vote. They can influence movements and coaches livelihoods on social media. They can drive. Some can buy alcohol and firearms. At what age are they no longer “kids” and allowed to make their own decisions? Clearly you’ve got a number in mind, what is it?
Are you for unionizing and compensation? Because if they're adults they should be able to unionize and be compensated for their labor, right? They must be adults that can unionize because some of them can buy alcohol and firearms and all of them can vote. So, which is it, are they adults that can unionize and demand compensation, or kids who are student-athletes? Clearly, you've got a number in mind, what is it?

My position is that this situation with the pandemic is unique. It is about health and safety, which at the moment we cannot guarantee or even begin to tell them what the risks are. They clearly cannot look at all the information and decide for themselves because you are incapable of seeing the uniqueness of the situation and want to bring up a bunch of irrelevant nonsense. When we can tell them how COVID-19 will actually affect their risk of PE and stroke while playing college football, then maybe we can move forward. Can you tell them that? You know, so that they can make an informed decision? Or do you want them to make ignorant decisions based on guess work and half-assed preconceptions that refuse to change regardless of any new information?

Oct 30, 2007
Of course they want to play, which is exactly why adults need to listen to physicians, epidemiologists, etc. and make decisions for them, because this is bigger than them. We can't subject them to risks that you wouldn't take yourself, and arguing "don't force it on me" when it is a decision being made for them doesn't make any sense.
If I was an 18-22 year old athlete in perfect health I would have absolutely no issues with accepting the risks associated with playing a sport with other athletes that are tested weekly. FWIW, I'm an essential worker that's worked every day of the pandemic. I'm probably at a higher risk than the athletes because I'm older and the people I come into contact with aren't on a strict testing protocol.

I'm frustrated with where we are too. I very much believe in freedom, but I wish that our country had more discipline and common sense. We wouldn't be where we are now if we did. We can't stop living though. College students are going to spread the virus regardless of whether or not we have sports. I'm not sure it would do any good to cancel football because athletes are still going to go to social gatherings.

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
If I was an 18-22 year old athlete in perfect health I would have absolutely no issues with accepting the risks associated with playing a sport with other athletes that are tested weekly.
Except, what are they exactly? How do we help them make informed decisions when this is a new disease and we're still learning? Or do you not care if their decisions are informed?

Feb 18, 2009
Are you for unionizing and compensation? Because if they're adults they should be able to unionize and be compensated for their labor, right? They must be adults that can unionize because some of them can buy alcohol and firearms and all of them can vote. So, which is it, are they adults that can unionize and demand compensation, or kids who are student-athletes? Clearly, you've got a number in mind, what is it?

My position is that this situation with the pandemic is unique. It is about health and safety, which at the moment we cannot guarantee or even begin to tell them what the risks are. They clearly cannot look at all the information and decide for themselves because you are incapable of seeing the uniqueness of the situation and want to bring up a bunch of irrelevant nonsense. When we can tell them how COVID-19 will actually affect their risk of PE and stroke while playing college football, then maybe we can move forward. Can you tell them that? You know, so that they can make an informed decision? Or do you want them to make ignorant decisions based on guess work and half-assed preconceptions that refuse to change regardless of any new information?
I didn't ask about your position, that's abundantly clear. I asked at what age are they no longer kids and you refused to answer.

I think they're adults based on everything I posted and so would most logical adults. Which means their desires for their lives, and willingness to access and accept risk, have to have more weight than Joe Blow fan's wishes for them. If they're not adults than all of those other things now need an adult stamp of approval to continue.

When do they graduate the Rx Cowboy school of life and get labeled as functional adult peers?

I am not necessarily in disagreement just curious. A later post talked about being informed so is that the new measure? They have to meet your level of informed and agree with it blindly to be considered adults?

Last edited: