Interesting, Roster Composition

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Of those 3, Gundy may be the only one whose job is secure. I think Kelley survives & Fuente's buyout is large, but who knows?

With the number of transfers today, I think you'll see that % of freshman may not correlate to future success like it used to.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Its actually freshman and sophomored as well.........not necessarily in that article....but by actual numbers
Seems like Texas topped this list 2 years ago. Got them to the B12 CG in short order, fwiw.

Wouldn't mind following that trend at all.

I will say that I don't know their roster as well as in years past, but watching OU last week, they've got some dudes on D that I hadn't heard of. Seems like they're rotating a ton of guys in on defense.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
& this is exactly what I'm talking about. D'Antonio's in trouble at Michigan State, & they're losing 12 of 20 guys from the 2016 class.

Granted, they'll get some transfers in, but man, coaches are going to be spending a ton of time retaining players, in addition to recruiting new ones.

"On Thursday, wide receiver Cam Chambers entered his name into the NCAA transfer portal, becoming the fifth MSU player to pursue other opportunities in the last month. Chambers caught 19 passes for 264 yards in 2018, but has played sparingly in 2019."

"In the case of Chambers, his expected departure would mean that 12 of the 20 players from MSU’s heralded 2016 recruiting class are no longer on the football team."

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
In the Boondocks in Creek County, Oklahoma
& this is exactly what I'm talking about. D'Antonio's in trouble at Michigan State, & they're losing 12 of 20 guys from the 2016 class.

Granted, they'll get some transfers in, but man, coaches are going to be spending a ton of time retaining players, in addition to recruiting new ones.

"On Thursday, wide receiver Cam Chambers entered his name into the NCAA transfer portal, becoming the fifth MSU player to pursue other opportunities in the last month. Chambers caught 19 passes for 264 yards in 2018, but has played sparingly in 2019."

"In the case of Chambers, his expected departure would mean that 12 of the 20 players from MSU’s heralded 2016 recruiting class are no longer on the football team."
Dax? Come on down.

Sep 12, 2013
Broken Arrow, OK
Of those 3, Gundy may be the only one whose job is secure. I think Kelley survives & Fuente's buyout is large, but who knows?

With the number of transfers today, I think you'll see that % of freshman may not correlate to future success like it used to.
Yea Fuente's buyout is $15 million before Dec 5 and $12.5 million after. He's going to be there for a bit longer.

That transfer portal and the 4 game red shirt rule is not working quite the way these geniuses thought. Just like the California pay for play rule won't work out like they think either.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Yea Fuente's buyout is $15 million before Dec 5 and $12.5 million after. He's going to be there for a bit longer.

That transfer portal and the 4 game red shirt rule is working quite the way these geniuses thought. Just like the California pay for play rule won't work out like they think either.
Well according to Romney, Congress is "coming after" the NCAA. It'll be interesting to see where this goes, but the momentum to pay players is way beyond just CA now.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
That would be just like congress to focus on the NCAA and not on things that truly effect people's lives. Not to get political but all politicians are :poo:
I don't see how this can work on only a state level. The CA bill opened up this can to go national, imo. Now, with multiple other states moving forward with measures, this has got to be addressed at the national level, imo.

The Feds also have the hammer to make the NCAA move forward on this.

May 21, 2007
Tulsa, OK
That would be just like congress to focus on the NCAA and not on things that truly effect people's lives. Not to get political but all politicians are :poo:
I don't disagree with your comment but the number of "student athletes" is not inconsequential to the dumb stuff we fixate on one this board.

From the NCAA website...

More than 460,000 NCAA student-athletes – more than ever before – compete in 24 sports every year.

Just to put in perspective...

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez district is only about 700,000 people and only 16,000 actually voted for her (or 0.005% percent of the population of the United States - 327.2 million). There is a monster forum in the political section with people obsessing over ever word she says.

NCAA athletes at least represents 0.1% of the population.

So at least we are spending time discussing the 0.1% instead of the 0.005%.

Aug 22, 2006
SE Oklahoma
I don't disagree with your comment but the number of "student athletes" is not inconsequential to the dumb stuff we fixate on one this board.

From the NCAA website...

More than 460,000 NCAA student-athletes – more than ever before – compete in 24 sports every year.

Just to put in perspective...

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez district is only about 700,000 people and only 16,000 actually voted for her (or 0.005% percent of the population of the United States - 327.2 million). There is a monster forum in the political section with people obsessing over ever word she says.

NCAA athletes at least represents 0.1% of the population.

So at least we are spending time discussing the 0.1% instead of the 0.005%.
Respectfully, there aren't 10% of that # that would have their likenesses used so they wouldn't factor into this discussion. We are in reality talking about maybe 1000 people. Hardly more important than a few miles of highway in my opinion.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Respectfully, there aren't 10% of that # that would have their likenesses used so they wouldn't factor into this discussion. We are in reality talking about maybe 1000 people. Hardly more important than a few miles of highway in my opinion.
I think what'll be interesting to see is what happens with someone like an Andrea Riley, or a Lauren Chamberlin. I could see local businesses throwing some smaller cash their way.

Now, a guy like Taylor Lawrence? Or Tua? I'll be curious what kind of cash those guys are able to bring in, for a couple of years.

Sep 12, 2013
Broken Arrow, OK
Paying players will be huge and I see it shaking out something like this.

Less than 1% of all high school seniors get drafted by the NFL. The 5, 4, and some lucky 3 star players will get paid/sponsored to play.

There will be 32 (give or take) teams in a semi-pro/developmental league that may or may not be associated with a university. 12 to 16 games a week, accounting for byes, and those teams will be on TV every Saturday. These players will be sponsored with maybe an actual small salary. Top 2% of high school seniors move on to this group. Percentage number is rounded, but the math could be done for a better percentage (32 teams, 85 players on the roster? 3 years? approx 30 new players a year? So 960 players (give or take) a year out of how many high school players?)

The rest of the schools will have amateur athletes and revenue would probably be in the neighborhood of a G5 school. I could see the revenue possibly being double current G5. This is where the 98% plus of high school seniors will play football if they choose. Some of these guys could improve their stock and move up to the next level. No outrageous coaching salaries. True amateur status.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO

Less than 1% of all high school seniors get drafted by the NFL. The 5, 4, and some lucky 3 star players will get paid/sponsored to play.

There will be 32 (give or take) teams in a semi-pro/developmental league that may or may not be associated with a university. 12 to 16 games a week, accounting for byes, and those teams will be on TV every Saturday. These players will be sponsored with maybe an actual small salary. Top 2% of high school seniors move on to this group. Percentage number is rounded, but the math could be done for a better percentage (32 teams, 85 players on the roster? 3 years? approx 30 new players a year? So 960 players (give or take) a year out of how many high school players?)

The rest of the schools will have amateur athletes and revenue would probably be in the neighborhood of a G5 school. I could see the revenue possibly being double current G5. This is where the 98% plus of high school seniors will play football if they choose. Some of these guys could improve their stock and move up to the next level. No outrageous coaching salaries. True amateur status.
Interesting.

I think the other elephant in the room here is content providers needing inventory. There's a helluva lot of it provided on a given weekend right now with just college ball alone. They & the schools are tied together at the hip more so than ever now.

Aug 22, 2006
SE Oklahoma

Kind of like Minor League Baseball? Interesting concept.