Football JW Walsh and recruiting

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

CampusCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 4, 2006
Tulsa, OK
Since 1975 A&M's record in football against Texas is 19-17. I am sure the ONLY reason A&M switched conferences was because they thought the past 30+ years were a farce and they could not consistently compete with Texas.

A&M will make $20-$30 million more per year in the SEC. It is really not a hard decision.

Speaking of Walsh, there is a 6'4 WR at Guyer named Ellis Jefferson who your coaches should probably check out.

$20-30 million more isn't even close. $20-30 million total maybe. It is more of a $5 million dollar difference at most.

Dec 21, 2011
Since 1975 A&M's record in football against Texas is 19-17. I am sure the ONLY reason A&M switched conferences was because they thought the past 30+ years were a farce and they could not consistently compete with Texas.

A&M will make $20-$30 million more per year in the SEC. It is really not a hard decision.

Speaking of Walsh, there is a 6'4 WR at Guyer named Ellis Jefferson who your coaches should probably check out.
20-30 million more? Absolutely false. New conference same dilutions.

Texas a&m you are the BIGGEST under achievers in the NCAA. Basketball history terrible, football history terrible. Baseball only decent! You are a major college in one of the largest states/population group in America. You have rediculous finances, alumni base, etc and you have done NOTHING with it. Now you are running to another conf, you don't realize that you are the problem this whole time. You know what they say about running away from yourself? Good luck with that.

Go make your 40-50 mil per year, win all those mythical championships and good freaking riddance.

Beergut

Greenhorn
Jul 13, 2012

Texas a&m you are the BIGGEST under achievers in the NCAA. Basketball history terrible, football history terrible. Baseball only decent! You are a major college in one of the largest states/population group in America. You have rediculous finances, alumni base, etc and you have done NOTHING with it. Now you are running to another conf, you don't realize that you are the problem this whole time. You know what they say about running away from yourself? Good luck with that.

Go make your 40-50 mil per year, win all those mythical championships and good freaking riddance.
I think you're delving a little too much into hyperbole here, or you're really just not aware of A&M's athletics history.

miketag

Greenhorn
Jul 9, 2012

Basketball history has not been impressive, especially over the past 20 years. It is not like OSU has been tearing it up on the hardwood lately either though now have they? In the past five years A&M has had the better basketball program, but historically OSU has been stronger.

Football is #18 all-time in wins. Much better history than OSU so I do not know why you bring that up.

What has OSU won in those three major sports? A national title when Hank Iba was coaching basketball? I know your wrestling program is impressive but that would be like another college fan proclaiming themselves the best women's golf school in the nation.

As for the finances, wait till the SEC Network is announced and you will see what I mean.

Oct 27, 2010
Basketball history has not been impressive, especially over the past 20 years. It is not like OSU has been tearing it up on the hardwood lately either though now have they? In the past five years A&M has had the better basketball program, but historically OSU has been stronger.

Football is #18 all-time in wins. Much better history than OSU so I do not know why you bring that up.

What has OSU won in those three major sports? A national title when Hank Iba was coaching basketball? I know your wrestling program is impressive but that would be like another college fan proclaiming themselves the best women's golf school in the nation.

As for the finances, wait till the SEC Network is announced and you will see what I mean.

Couple things. 1. Welcome to orange power
2. Thank you oh so much for de-railing my thread and turning into a dumb argument about who has the better past.
3. Good luck in the SEC. Personally I always liked A&M and see them as a school with alot in common with us. I hope y'all succeed and congrats on a great recruiting class so far.
4. Are you the same miketag that writes a blog and has said many times how I impressive ra'shaad samples is?

Dec 21, 2011

I am not comparing the two schools because frankly there is no comparison. Texas has much larger population, a&m has rediculous endowment, and one of the largest alumni bases in the country. What do you have to show for it? Basketball no NCAA success, I don't even think you have made it past the field of 16 ever, football national champ when my great grandfather was alive, baseball has never won a championship... You are a classic definition of under achievers.

Look at what oSu has done with so much less, basketball 2 titles, 6 final fours (last 2004), baseball 1title, 19 CWS, football history is terrible but we have the same number of big 12 champs and yet actually have a BCS bowl win!

I don't know all the exact numbers but your school is on par with the Florida, Texas, Michigans etc with the factors I mentioned and you have such minimal success in comparison. Under achievers...

miketag

Greenhorn
Jul 9, 2012
Couple things. 1. Welcome to orange power
2. Thank you oh so much for de-railing my thread and turning into a dumb argument about who has the better past.
3. Good luck in the SEC. Personally I always liked A&M and see them as a school with alot in common with us. I hope y'all succeed and congrats on a great recruiting class so far.
4. Are you the same miketag that writes a blog and has said many times how I impressive ra'shaad samples is?
Yes, that would be me. Thank you for the welcome. I have been impressed with how much more level headed most on this site are, compared to other sites. I apologize for derailing your thread. I would think most OSU fans would be wary of recruiting rankings after watching your coaches continue to go into East Tx and find great RBs who no one knew about.

I find great amusement with all the pundits who are predicting your demise this year. As long as Wickline is on your staff, I think you will win 8-10 games every year. Am looking forward to watching you beat Tx again.

miketag

Greenhorn
Jul 9, 2012
I am not comparing the two schools because frankly there is no comparison. Texas has much larger population, a&m has rediculous endowment, and one of the largest alumni bases in the country. What do you have to show for it? Basketball no NCAA success, I don't even think you have made it past the field of 16 ever, football national champ when my great grandfather was alive, baseball has never won a championship... You are a classic definition of under achievers.

Look at what oSu has done with so much less, basketball 2 titles, 6 final fours (last 2004), baseball 1title, 19 CWS, football history is terrible but we have the same number of big 12 champs and yet actually have a BCS bowl win!

I don't know all the exact numbers but your school is on par with the Florida, Texas, Michigans etc with the factors I mentioned and you have such minimal success in comparison. Under achievers...
I would agree that A&M has underachieved which is why they just hired a new football coach.The overall athletic program has been on quite a nice tear lately.

Florida never won anything of note until the 90's. You have to keep in mind that A&M did not really start to grow as a school until the 80's. Up until that point, they were comparable to Texas Tech in a lot of ways. I believe A&M is on the right track now in the SEC. Am not convinced the men's basketball coach is the right guy but will have to wait and see.

PlatypusJojo

Mysterious as the dark side of the moon
A/V Subscriber
May 29, 2010
Boston
Yes, that would be me. Thank you for the welcome. I have been impressed with how much more level headed most on this site are, compared to other sites. I apologize for derailing your thread. I would think most OSU fans would be wary of recruiting rankings after watching your coaches continue to go into East Tx and find great RBs who no one knew about.

I find great amusement with all the pundits who are predicting your demise this year. As long as Wickline is on your staff, I think you will win 8-10 games every year. Am looking forward to watching you beat Tx again.
We are unless they work in our favor.

Oct 27, 2010

Well to derail my thread even more, I read your blog and several articles on samples. Do you really believe some the top teams in the nation would waste a scholarship on this kid only because his dad is coach and they want access to recruiting? Also not disagreeing with the fact that he could be overrated and I do not put much stock into stars I do think an offer list tells you alot. I would live o hear more of your analysis on the guy.

Oct 27, 2010
Also I appreciate the support. I think we will have a succesful year as well but I think the ags will surprise alot of people. Back to back stellar recruiting classes will help a lot and correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't your oline very young? I think sumlin and his spread offense will finally show that old school SEC what a real offense looks like.

Beergut

Greenhorn
Jul 13, 2012
Well to derail my thread even more, I read your blog and several articles on samples. Do you really believe some the top teams in the nation would waste a scholarship on this kid only because his dad is coach and they want access to recruiting? Also not disagreeing with the fact that he could be overrated and I do not put much stock into stars I do think an offer list tells you alot. I would live o hear more of your analysis on the guy.
You have to look at the opportunity cost there. What is the cost of offering him a scholarship when there is a very, very good chance he isn't going to come to your school? Virtually nothing. What is the cost of not offering him a scholarship? Being cut out of one of the best talent-producing schools in Dallas. In that scenario, there is only one school that has to bite the bullet and put him on their roster, while there are multiple schools who can offer him a scholarship and keep themselves in the good graces of his father. In this case, you take the chance he won't commit to you, and offer him.

I only saw Samples play once, and he was not impressive. True top recruits stand out to you on the field, because they're often the best player on the field. Samples was never that guy. He was a pretty good possession receiver, but those are dime a dozen in Texas high school ranks.