"kept him in Stillwater" ?

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Dec 23, 2010

cowboyethics344

Federal Marshal
Apr 2, 2008
I think his point is that Bassett was going to stay in Stillwater regardless of what happened to our offense. The article tends to imply that Bassett had at one point considered leaving the team due to our switch to the air raid that did not utilize tight ends which is misleading at best.

OrangeForever

Member of the SAS
Dec 8, 2007
Are you as equally pissed off by The Oklahoman headline that reads, "Bob Stoops remains positive"?

Or are you as furious as I am that those bastard Gaylords are subliminally trying to undermine the Sooner Nation by suggesting Great Leader might have reason for sorrow in the eternal bliss that is the Democratic Peoples' Republic of Norman?

Jul 31, 2008
If the accompanying article was actually about Stoops being positive, then fine. But if the article is about Stoops being negative, then yes I'd be pissed off that the writer can't even write a title that matches the body of the article.

OrangeForever

Member of the SAS
Dec 8, 2007
If the accompanying article was actually about Stoops being positive, then fine.
I hate to break it to you, but the article about Cooper Basset was actually about him not having much of a spot in the Cowboys' offensive system, ergo his switch to the defensive line might have kept him in Stillwater.

It has nothing to do with Basset ever wanting to leave the program (which is stated in the article), but more with the fact that tight ends just don't have much of a place in OSU's scheme (also stated in the article).

I'd be pissed off that the writer can't even write a title that matches the body of the article.
It might be worth noting that an article's author rarely writes its headline.

Feb 6, 2007
Edmond
IMHO the Dok does seem to be more hateful than ever now towards OSU. Maybe its the sting of us being the Big 12 Champions now they can't stand it lol.

Dec 26, 2007
S OKC
I've been reading the Oklahoman for 50 years, when I came away from the article,
my impression was Bassett was ready to leave Stillwater when Holgrsom did away
with the tight ends? Read whatever you want into the rest of article

Dec 7, 2006
The point of the article - and the headline - is that the switch to defense kept Cooper from having to decide whether he wanted to ride the bench or transfer. Putting him on defense gave him a third option and, as the article states, kept him in Stillwater.

Here's the key sentences:

"But for bulky tight ends that specialize in blocking? A permanent exile to the bench or an awkward mid-career position change. Not wanting to sit or transfer (because of his lifelong love for Oklahoma State's program), Bassett, a Tuttle native, went with the latter."

I don't get where anyone could think that's wrong. But for the conspiracy set, I'll point out that the writer is an OSU grad. So not only does the DOK have it out for OSU, they're also turning our own against us.