Zombie Major Gift Announcement

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Sep 7, 2004
Edmond
I got the idea from another post earlier in this thread...

With the Pickens plan being one of Boone's legacies, I wonder if this has something to do with it... yes a dream, but why dream big?

So, maybe the announcement is for the massive wind turbine farm and solar panel system that will completely take the university off the grid? Imagine how much money would be saved if the school did not have to pay OGE for electrical costs! We would be able to fund the IPF, Endowment, and plenty more within a few years!

Like I said, it's a dream, but why not?

Jan 5, 2009
Lee's Summit, MO

With the Pickens plan being one of Boone's legacies, I wonder if this has something to do with it... yes a dream, but why dream big?

So, maybe the announcement is for the massive wind turbine farm and solar panel system that will completely take the university off the grid? Imagine how much money would be saved if the school did not have to pay OGE for electrical costs! We would be able to fund the IPF, Endowment, and plenty more within a few years!

Exactly! That's what I was alluding to earlier in the thread. It's completely ridiculous that OSU hasn't become wind/solar powered with all of Pickens involvement in the university and all that sunny/windy land that the school owns west of campus.

3rpete

Wrangler
Mar 29, 2009

I like it!

Minarets

Orange Bred
Sep 20, 2006
Owasso
http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=19&articleid=20100223_19_0_STILLW402216

World is reporting that it is a major scholarship fund donation.

Tulsa World said:
STILLWATER -- Oklahoma State University expects to announce a record donation to its scholarship fund on Friday.

OSU officials say the contribution will be one of the largest of its kind in U.S. history.

The announcement will be made Friday during a press conference at the university to kick off a major fund-raising drive. The amount of the contribution and the donor were not immediately known.
The bolded part makes me excited.

King Poke

Medical Mystery
A/V Subscriber
Aug 18, 2007
Frisco, TX
Exactly! That's what I was alluding to earlier in the thread. It's completely ridiculous that OSU hasn't become wind/solar powered with all of Pickens involvement in the university and all that sunny/windy land that the school owns west of campus.
I'm thinking that might be a problem since much of that land is in the path of Stillwater airport. Probably not the best place to stick tall wind turbines. Wonder if the solar panels would be a problems for pilots with glare.

Minarets

Orange Bred
Sep 20, 2006
Owasso
Forgive my ignorance, but can somebody explain what this entails?
My guess is they have a big investment pool for the scholarships, and the interest/investment income they earn on this each year is what the use to grant scholarships.

A major donation to that fund would allow OSU to greatly expand its yearly scholarship offerings.

Celldweller7

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Jul 17, 2004
A very specific place
Doc Thompson is the man. God knows (pun intended) that he did a lot for me personally in maturing as an individual and critically looking at my worldview without coming off as having an axe to grind. He's the only professor I've kept in contact with, now almost five years after I graduated.

So yeah, it'd be nice to give the guy some support.
I agree, if I am ever able to give money to a department I hope to support the History & Religious Studies programs.

naffigator

I am SuperKing!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 2, 2008
In a burnin' ring of fire.
Jan 2, 2005
This fundrasier will not be for athletics or infrastrucutre. However, it is an exciting program for all connected to OSU and will assure a great future for incoming students for years to come!

RoVerto Solo

Lifetime Ban
Banned
Feb 10, 2007
Does this mean that with all this new research and educational money coming in that the Big 10/11 with be comin' a courtin' to Stillwater soon?

Jan 5, 2009
Lee's Summit, MO
I'm thinking that might be a problem since much of that land is in the path of Stillwater airport. Probably not the best place to stick tall wind turbines. Wonder if the solar panels would be a problems for pilots with glare.
Good point. I happen to be a pilot but I still think there's plenty of land around Stillwater for wind turbines while leaving flight paths unobstructed.

Feb 11, 2007
Oklahoma City
We desperately need more cash scholarships to help middle-income and lower-income students be able to afford college without amassing the huge student loans that have become so typical for so many students these days.

Students from middle income families so often have to incur such major debt loads (or, take 6 or so years to complete a supposedly 4-year degree while working part time) these days.

And for way too many students from low-income families, college is just simply becoming unaffordable even with grants and loans.

While I agree that more student scholarship money is needed, I have yet to see OSUs plan to cut significantly educational expenses. All I ever hear is that we need more and more money and total silence when it comes to new innovative ways to cut costs and maintain or even improve the educational product.

Nov 25, 2006
Stillwater, OK
Just found this

http://www.cnbc.com/id/35543520

Feb 23, 2010 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- --OSU President Burns Hargis will Unveil the Sweeping Initiative and Announce the Largest Gift for Scholarships in the History of Oklahoma and One of the Largest Private Gifts to a Public University in the U.S.

Press Conference to Follow 35-Minute Event; Launch Event Streamed Live at http://www.witnessOSUhistory.com WHAT: Oklahoma State announces historic private fundraising initiative and audacious campaign goal; unveils campaign brand and theme. Also will announce a record private gift, as well as the incredible amount already raised to launch the campaign WHY: Provide OSU with the private dollars to support incomparable resources to fund scholarship, academic and research programs, and services and facilities WHEN: 11 a.m. February 26, 2010 WHERE: Student Union Atrium, Oklahoma State University, Stillwater, Oklahoma To attend, please RSVP to Megan Horton - megan.horton@okstate.edu or 405-744-6260 Background -- For two years, OSU has prepared to launch the biggest and boldest private fundraising effort ever undertaken by a public or private university in the state of Oklahoma. In fact, the campaign will be one of the largest for any public university in the nation. Half of the record-breaking amount raised through this campaign will fund student scholarships to make sure OSU not only attracts the brightest students, but also provides students without the means to attend a research university a way in which to do so.

-- The scholarship portion of the sweeping campaign will receive a gigantic boost on Friday when President Hargis announces an incredible private gift for student scholarships.

-- Hundreds of millions of dollars will fund professorships, fellowships and groundbreaking research as well as the renovation and construction of facilities, such as an 80,000-square foot learning facility to house the Spears School of Business and Riata Center for Entrepreneurship.

-- The scope and magnitude of what will be announced Friday, as well as what has already been achieved, will accelerate the elevation of Oklahoma State University on the national front by providing the resources to solidify OSU as one of America's premier land-grant universities.