1. You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Mike Holder

Discussion in 'OSU Sports Forum' started by eric wright, Mar 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eric wright

eric wright Wrangler

He strikes again. Dang

• Like Like x 5
    • Total Poop Total Poop x 1
  2. Rack

Rack Federal Marshal
    A/V Subscriber

Unless you have inside information you don't really have any idea. Just saw where they are paying Underwood $3 million a year...not sure we wanted to match that for a guy willing to look around after ONE year. If he's gone, I have less respect for him than Holder, he signed a contract and wanted to one up it after one year...he moved his family knowing what his contract was. He made over $1 million dollars for LESS than one years work. The greed of college athletics coaches evidentially has no bounds. Look, Holder may have screwed up big time, but you really want to have an AD who actually has power...if you don't coaches run ruff shod over programs and you end up with NCAA violations. Today sucks, but tomorrow will come and hopefully we will have a new more loyal basketball coach ASAP. Holders statement wasn't one of someone who expected this coach to be gone after one year. He expressed shock and good wishes for him and his family.

• Like Like x 11
  3. 65POKE

65POKE Sheriff

I can't condemn Holder till all the truth comes out. Then I will make a decision on him.

4. slingerpoke

slingerpoke Deputy

Fire Holder. Illinois wasn't cheap. They saw a great coach and took adavantage of Holder being a cheap ass. You didn't even have to match Illinois just a respectable offer. Holder is running the basketball program like we need to reuse foil and ziplocks.

• Like Like x 8
    • Total Poop Total Poop x 5
    • LOL LOL x 1
  5. 007Poke

007Poke Deputy

The reality is to an extent is that we DO have to reuse foil and ziplocks as we are more of a have not than have when it comes benjamins.

• Like Like x 1
    • LOL LOL x 1
  6. ATXCowboy

ATXCowboy Like a Boss
    A/V Subscriber

People try to make simple things complex.

Today Brad Underwood is not the Head Coach at OSU. That falls on Holders shoulders. No Ifs Ands Or Buts.

• Like Like x 15
  7. slingerpoke

slingerpoke Deputy

I'm mad and this not direct toward you personally but Great, we can be fiscally-responsible losers!

• Like Like x 1
  8. pennpoke

pennpoke Deputy
    A/V Subscriber

Holder didn't have a chance to match the offer. Our coach decided to take an offer from another school before the dust had settled from our one and only game in the NCAA tourney.

This is Underwood's doing. Period. As are all the little statements he made in the last couple of weeks regarding other jobs and how much he loved OSU and wanted to make it great again.

• Like Like x 8
    • Total Poop Total Poop x 6
    • Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Love Love x 1
  9. FredtheMonkey

FredtheMonkey Deputy

So Holder can't get along with Gundy, who's been at the helm while our football program has become relevant, and we almost lost him. (Probably would have if he wasn't an OSU alumni) And now I'm reading that Holder had a frosty relationship with the best basketball coach we've had since Eddie...and we DO lose him...all of this after he totally screwed up the contract with Ford....

I don't know....how many times do you have to screw up before you're held accountable?

Ford contract=truly terrible
    Losing Underwood=very bad
    Almost losing Gundy=pretty bad (If Gundy would have left...I don't even...)

Might be time to find an AD that doesn't constantly butt heads with the major sport coaches.

• Like Like x 15
  10. Rack

Rack Federal Marshal
    A/V Subscriber

No it falls on greed's shoulders...this is a man who moved his family...worked less than a year and made over 1 freaking million dollars in the process of Oklahoma State Universities money...then had the balls not to honor his contract or accept the $2.2 million dollar offer made him...He left us for $ and he's willing to say anything to get more of it. He had a meeting with Holder and resigned after giving us, evidentially no chance to match. What a scumbag, he will leave Illinois the second the KSU job opens and he will leave with their money falling out of his pockets.

#10 Rack, Mar 18, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
    • Like Like x 7
    • Total Poop Total Poop x 6
  11. pokelahomastate

Let's all take a deep breath and gather the necessary facts before we call for MH's head. Your point may be valid but let's try to refrain from knee jerk assertions intimating that Holder is automatically at fault for Underwood's departure.

• Like Like x 5
    • Angry Angry x 1
  12. OklaStateU

OklaStateU Cowboy

Wasn't there supposed to be a hefty buyout to prevent this from happening?

13. Rack

Rack Federal Marshal
    A/V Subscriber

Do you want a yes man and coaches breaking the rules or running rough shod over other sports? Look, I'm no Holder fan, his personality grates on me, but this doesn't fall on him...It falls on greed and wanting too much too soon.

• Total Poop Total Poop x 5
    • Like Like x 4
  14. slingerpoke

slingerpoke Deputy

I'm not a fan of Underwood leaving and I'm mad at him too but what makes more sense, Underwood was lying for the last year or Holder went cheap? Fire Holder.

• Like Like x 6
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  15. Rack

Rack Federal Marshal
    A/V Subscriber

No man, we would rather eat our own, a guy with five ncaa golf titles, than a one hit wonder basket coach from k-state that the AD we want to fry actually hired.:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

#15 Rack, Mar 18, 2017
    • Total Poop Total Poop x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  16. cowboyethics344

cowboyethics344 Federal Marshal

Our basketball program is unstable and a potential dumpster fire. Underwood was bringing us out of the fire and holder choose to cheap out a guy who has proved to be a winner.

Sorry but screw Mike holder. That ass needs to look out for our basketball program as a whole and stop looking at the numbers. Guess what ? We are one terrible coach away from staying in the dumpster.

• Like Like x 6
  17. BrokenArrowPoke

BrokenArrowPoke Greenhorn

https://twitter.com/GoodmanESPN/status/843200511306223616

I want to wait to see if more information about this situation comes out. I will say it's a bit concerning that another coach is having issues with our AD. Gundy was apparently close to leaving because of Holder, Holder potentially played a big role in Underwood's departure.

• Like Like x 1
  18. ashpkt

ashpkt Cowboy

That's a poor excuse to have faith in Holder. His success on the course obviously hasn't transferred over to being AD. The only thing good he's done is fund raise. He's nearly run off the best football coach in our history - one of our own too. He got a do-over on the Ford blunder by making what was a great hire (at the time) in Underwood. Now, he's run him off too!?!? Holder needs to go!

• Like Like x 11
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  19. Rack

Rack Federal Marshal
    A/V Subscriber

What did we finish in the Sears cup last year? Where did our football team finish last year? Where did our women's tennis program finish. I'm with you on Gundy...we need to pay the man and keep him very happy...but a one hit wonder basketball coach who was fully aware of our predicament shouldn't have taken the job in the first place if he was going to hold our feet to the fire for more than double his salary after less than one normal year of work. I say we give Mike what he wants and hire Doug for the cheapest we can at this point...When Doug earns it we pay him what he's worth at that time...but not before. At least Doug will likely have some loyalty as Mike has proven to have as well. Do we really want a yes man AD who gives coaches what we can't afford at the expense of other programs? Do we want to have coaches break the rules because the AD isn't looking or has no power? These are the bigger questions that have to be answered. Not just why some greedy coach went looking when we likely offered him quite a nice raise.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Rack

Rack Federal Marshal
    A/V Subscriber

Minimum requirement at Oklahoma State is to make the ncaa tournament (something Ford also did several times). I'm not a Holder fan in terms of the Gundy negotiations...we need to pay him what he wants...but Underwood was here less than a year and signed a contract that he wanted to re-nag on after less than a year!!! What does that tell you about this coaches loyalty to ANY program? He built us up, knew our predicament with the ford contract...demanded double his pay after less than a year anyway...didn't get it (correction: he did get it with a $2.2 million offer he just wanted more)...and he split. I won't side with that type of greedy disloyality. Sorry.

#20 Rack, Mar 18, 2017
    • Like Like x 5
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.