Mike Holder

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 22, 2006
Philadelphia, PA
Before you crucify Holder for bringing up TF, look through a few of the past basketball threads and see how many times this board has invoked the name of Ford.

My opinion of the whole mess is that underwood was looking for a reason to justify jumping at the money, and the OSU fanbase want's to blame Holder because he quoted facts. Danged facts, always interfering with a good discussion!
100% Agree.

When someone cheats on their spouse, they often look to alleviate their guilt by pointing out all the issues in the relationship.

Jan 17, 2011
100% Agree.

When someone cheats on their spouse, they often look to alleviate their guilt by pointing out all the issues in the relationship.
Again, it doesn't add up. If he wanted more money he would have taken the UNLV job before the OSU job. It's not about money...

Cimarron

It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.
Jun 28, 2007
Holder told BU he didn't do as well as Ford did in his first season if that is what you are referring to. IMO that is not a past failure of Holder that is a current failure of BU....

The fact that Holder thought he had a great relationship with BU might be because BU lies about who he is and what he is thinking.... I'm pretty sure the entire Cowboy nation could attest to that as fact. The points you are making about a conversation that you didn't participate in and Trammel printed is no better than third hand. If I'm going to make assumptions about a third hand conversation about OSU I'm going to trust the side of the guy that donates his salary to OSU over the guy who took the money and ran.
What did Underwood lie about?

RutherfordFan

Federal Marshal
Feb 5, 2008
Oklahoma City
100% Agree.

It was completely retarded for Holder to bring up Travis Ford. If you want to low ball that's not HOW to do it. Thus my point. You can try to negotiate without being an ass. Holder might be smart but not a people person. He's an ASS. Not saying it's on purpose. I think he's a good man just has not idea how to get along with people or how to approach men with egos. You'd think he would know, his ego is big too.

Last edited:

RutherfordFan

Federal Marshal
Feb 5, 2008
Oklahoma City
Again, it doesn't add up. If he wanted more money he would have taken the UNLV job before the OSU job. It's not about money...
exactly it doesn't add up. Holder screwed up massively and offended Underwood. Underwood didn't like his basketball vision. Bringing up Iowa State haha or Kstate haha. NO freakin way. We should be bringing up Kansas and how to get there.

As long as we think like losers we don't improve.

Cimarron

Jun 28, 2007
BU just exposed the problem to the world what many in the OSU family already knew. The good news is that people are now talking and acknowledging the problem. ...
This right here, Underwood may have given OSU something of value here.

Cimarron

Jun 28, 2007
Anyone have any regents on speed dial?;)
Not currently, no.

My guess is though there has been more than 1 call placed to each regent and the President's office today.

Alumni don't seem to be happy at all over this.

CowboyOrangeFan

Mmmm, yeah.
A/V Subscriber
Jun 9, 2006
Florida
Holder has had incident after incident where he has rubbed someone the wrong way. So concentrating on the Travis Ford name drop is probably missing the bigger point. Holder sucks (I mean royally sucks) at dealing with people. I have heard that directly from AD employees and donors. Many of whom HATE dealing with him.

That is what cost us here. Like I said before, Underwood appears to be a slimeball, but we wouldn't be in this mess if it wasn't for Holder. Either because he screwed up with Underwood (very similar to the Gundy incidents) or because he screwed up with Ford. No matter what, it is his fault. The guy is not an athletic director. He just isn't. He is just Boone's appointed custodian of the athletic department.

Of course he is also a legendary Cowboy who loves OSU. Which makes me even more sad that he is making such a mess of it.

Mar 19, 2017
Not here.
Of course he is also a legendary Cowboy who loves OSU. Which makes me even more sad that he is making such a mess of it.
Do you think it's possible that Holder didn't mess it up and knew exactly what he was doing here?

If you establish a climate where you let a first year coach who has accomplished nothing spend his time flirting with other jobs and then forcing you to bid against them, you're screwed as an AD.

Underwood gambled, and now he gets to join the fraternity of coaches who have tried to win big at Illinois. Let's see how that pays off.

Jan 31, 2008
Oklahoma City
Holder has made a series of bad decisions that have cost OSU millions. I do not know of any university that made their Golf Coach the Athletic Director. Travis Ford was a Big Big Mistake, properly channeling of funding has been another issue, not getting along with Gundy is another and now the Underwood debacle. Holder needs to resign.

Rack

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
That absolutely great. Doesn't correlate to your earlier point of finding a coach that deserves our money. Based on your statements you want only okstate alumni that want below market value pay and you think that's how to be competitive.
No, I want, in a perfect world, ideally 'Alumni' or others that truly understand our culture who want to make this their destination job and care more about the actual job than the paycheck. I don't think that's too much to ask. I don't really see how any Alumni wouldn't want to give Doug an opportunity and see where it leads...I'm willing to bet that the program would be back to near Eddie levels within three years.

jobob85

Alcoholistic Sage
A/V Subscriber
Mar 11, 2009
So, get rid of Holder now or, wait till he finalizes the new baseball stadium? He might not be a people person but
Football
IPF
Track
Tennis
Dude gets shit built.

Nov 5, 2004
Kansas
Do you think it's possible that Holder didn't mess it up and knew exactly what he was doing here?

If you establish a climate where you let a first year coach who has accomplished nothing spend his time flirting with other jobs and then forcing you to bid against them, you're screwed as an AD.

Underwood gambled, and now he gets to join the fraternity of coaches who have tried to win big at Illinois. Let's see how that pays off.
I think his own comments about being shocked by Underwood leaving and thinking they were going to continue negotiations would indicate he didn't know exactly what he was doing. I don't think he intended to run Underwood off.

Status
Not open for further replies.