1. You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Mike Holder

Discussion in 'OSU Sports Forum' started by eric wright, Mar 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Birry

Birry Federal Marshal

Its not misfortune. Its a complete failure by our AD.

#141 Birry, Mar 20, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
    • Like Like x 5
  2. PistolPete'sMustache

A/V Subscriber

Seriously, his delivery is just terrible, and to even mention Travis Ford shows complete lack of social awareness by Holder. Why is he pointing out the negatives to begin with? Especially when you know coaches have egos? It's like he has Aspergers or something. The way you state it makes so much more sense. "We want to get you paid to Final Four status, but we're just not there yet. I can do 2.2 now and we'll talk again next year if our trajectory continues. I'm almost certain it will."

Just terrible. Only at OSU can a guy like that not even be at risk of being fired. Our athletic department is the definition of a good ol boy network. Just a complete joke.

• Like Like x 12
  3. GodsPeace

GodsPeace Joshua 1:9

I think Brad knew his value outside of Stillwater and Holder wouldn't match. I understand the reasoning logically, but BU was an amazing fit and I think we could have been special with him. Now I wonder how far we might fall.

4. Cro

Cro Sheriff

Holder screwed the pooch on this one............ the regents need to have a serious meeting............ Holder's inability to communicate w/ head coaches finally ended up costing us.............. thank GOD he hasn't run Gundy off yet..........

• Like Like x 7
  5. EyePokeOD

EyePokeOD Cowboy

Agree with the premise of your post; however based on Berry's article we do now know Holder did not give a good sales pitch to Underwood. The only other point I would refute is in bold. It is my understanding that a condition of Boone's donation was the hiring of Mike Holder. So technically if it wasn't for Boone's donation we wouldn't have Mike Holder as AD.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Birry

Birry Federal Marshal

Think about it, though. Would you want to work for a boss that is holding a previous employee's failures over your head? No. Nobody would.

Holder doubled down on his stupidity with Ford. Basically, he's just shown all of us that he has no clue how to do his job.

• Like Like x 1
  7. AshlandFlash

AshlandFlash It seemed like a good idea at the time
    A/V Subscriber

Before you crucify Holder for bringing up TF, look through a few of the past basketball threads and see how many times this board has invoked the name of Ford.

My opinion of the whole mess is that underwood was looking for a reason to justify jumping at the money, and the OSU fanbase want's to blame Holder because he quoted facts. Danged facts, always interfering with a good discussion!

• Like Like x 3
  8. petropoke

petropoke Sheriff

There's only one thread I can think of where the poster thought Underwood might be Ford 2.0, it's on the flame board. All the replies are saying how asinine it is to compare the two, how obvious it is that Underwood is on another level of coaching. Not sure the original poster has posted since.

Edit: Just checked the thread, he just returned to laugh and say I told you so, which makes no sense at all.

#148 petropoke, Mar 20, 2017
  9. wrenhal

wrenhal Territorial Marshal

This is my take. Both sides have blame in these "negotiations". But this is just another in a list of coaching issues that Holder has had and to me that shows poor judgement and he needs to be fired.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  10. Jostate

Jostate Federal Marshal
    A/V Subscriber

You can't seriously compare anonymous internet shoot from the hip posts to a discussion between an AD and a head coach.

Just because something is factual doesn't mean it needs to be said. It's a fact that Gundy's mullet looks stupid, but I wouldn't bring it up in a discussion while trying to get him to sign his new contract.

• Like Like x 5
    • LOL LOL x 2
  11. vox populi

vox populi Wrangler

This. All of this.

And you want to talk about good 'ol boy network and the aw shucks attitude, go back and look at how holder recruited Travis Ford...just sat funny with me how he went about it.

12. vox populi

vox populi Wrangler

You need to watch Gottlieb's interview with KOCO yesterday because he said something interesting-he said Underwood turned down bigger offers and more money because he wanted to be at Oklahoma State (had at least one offer at UNLV, and BU and Gottlieb share an agent), and that OSU was one of his destination jobs...so the jumping at money argument doesn't add up.

And I'm all about "danged facts" but good lord man, you can deliver "danged facts" without being insulting or a douche.

Again, this is about failure in leadership. There needs to be a vote of no confidence for our AD and let's move on.

• Like Like x 8
    • Love Love x 1
  13. Poke4Christ

Poke4Christ Federal Marshal

This This This!!!!! Relational disputes are always two sided. However, I have learned from experience that there are particular people that habitually cause them. In dealing with these people, the only way to avoid conflict is to capitulate to them whenever there is a conflict.

Anyway, my point is when someone has people issues, you see the trend with them. You see them alienating person after person. I think we are starting to see that trend with Mike Holder.

• Like Like x 1
  14. ksupoke

ksupoke We don't need no edgeukashun
    A/V Subscriber

Quoting facts (that aren't facts) that are primarily of your own making to suggest someone did not perform to the level they are seeking to be compensated for is not a particularly strong position.
    Holder, in essence, used his failure with Ford as a negotiating tactic against Underwood.
    Also of those facts you are mentioning, only the Ford won more games and a tournament game are true and even they are true only as pure numbers not based on level of play, the Pokes are not at the level of KSU and TTU they are a notch above and they are not at the level of ISU they are, currently, a couple of notches below, if Underwood really wanted to get into a tit for tat he would have asked about Ford's current status or where exactly were TTU, TCU and KSU in the b12 standings, it could have been far more ugly than it seems it actually was and maybe Holder interpreted that as having a good relationship with Underwood.

Again, IF TRUE, this reflects incredibly poorly on Holder and it doesn't make the University look all that good either especially in the search for a new candidate (not named DG:rolleyes:).

The horse is dead, long live the horse.

• Like Like x 4
  15. Jostate

Jostate Federal Marshal
    A/V Subscriber

The more I think about this the more I'm trying to not laugh at work. Which makes it even funnier.

#155 Jostate, Mar 20, 2017
  16. RutherfordFan

RutherfordFan Federal Marshal

Agree 100%. Holder has zero people skills.

17. RutherfordFan

RutherfordFan Federal Marshal

Amen. Time to un country bumpkin ourselves. I love country people and many are very intelligent. Holder is a man who has zero freakin people skills. Holder has zero idea how to talk to people. Fire him now!

18. Jostate

Jostate Federal Marshal
    A/V Subscriber

Get ready.

19. Tulsagigapan

Tulsagigapan Cowboy

I will say that this is exactly the same situation that lead to Travis Ford's contract. I think Underwood is 1-4 in the NCAA tournament. He was won games for sure. But we also had some great talent on the team.

20. ksupoke

ksupoke We don't need no edgeukashun
    A/V Subscriber

[/QUOTE]
    Would be funnier if it was tourretts can you imagine how that would go.
    Mr H I'd like to discuss my contract- F, MF, Stupid SOB, oh I'm sorry you were saying, oh nothing just wanted to tell you how happy I am to be here.

• LOL LOL x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.