NCAA Men's Golf Championship

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Aug 16, 2012
Less than two days before the practice round, and NCAA still has not posted pairings. Not sure what they are waiting on.

Schedule is 54 holes of stroke play May 24-26 and the field will be cut to 30 teams and top individuals.

On May 27, the final 18 holes of stroke play will take place. At the end of these four days of stroke play, 1) The individual champion will be determined (lowest 72-hole score) and, 2) The top 8 teams move on to match play where the teams will be re-seeded 1-8.

Match play uses a basic 8-team bracket where #1 plays #8, #2 plays #7, etc. The quarter final round and semi-final round will be played Tuesday, May 28. The championship match is Wednesday, May 29th beginning at 4:00 pm.

New to this year, ALL FIVE SCORES ARE TABULATED DURING THE STROKE PLAY as opposed to the top 4 scores from years past so everyone has to be on.

Golf Channel is supposed to broadcast 15 hours of play but I have not seen their schedule yet.

In case you have not been following (presuming you care), rain has made a mess of the Women's Championship. Stroke play was dropped to 54-holes and today's match play round was halted due to rain this morning and early afternoon with play resuming about an hour ago. Right now,

Texas (1) is up on Auburn (8) 4-1 with play through the 9th hole complete.
Wake Forest (5) is up on Arkansas (4) 3-0-2 with play through the 8th hole.
Duke (2) and Stanford (7) are tied with 2-2-1 through 11th
USC (3) and Arizona (6) is also tied 2-2-1 through 12th hole with one match complete in USC's favor.

Semi's and Finals are both slated for tomorrow.

Individual medalist was Maria Fassi of Arkansas who, if you watched it, was the runner up to Jennifer Kupcho (WFU) in the Augusta National Women's Amateur that took place right before the Master's on Augusta National.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2018
North Texas
Less than two days before the practice round, and NCAA still has not posted pairings. Not sure what they are waiting on.

Schedule is 54 holes of stroke play May 24-26 and the field will be cut to 30 teams and top individuals.

On May 27, the final 18 holes of stroke play will take place. At the end of these four days of stroke play, 1) The individual champion will be determined (lowest 72-hole score) and, 2) The top 8 teams move on to match play where the teams will be re-seeded 1-8.

Match play uses a basic 8-team bracket where #1 plays #8, #2 plays #7, etc. The quarter final round and semi-final round will be played Tuesday, May 28. The championship match is Wednesday, May 29th beginning at 4:00 pm.

New to this year, ALL FIVE SCORES ARE TABULATED as opposed to the top 4 scores from years past so everyone has to be on.

Golf Channel is supposed to broadcast 15 hours of play but I have not seen their schedule yet.

In case you have not been following (presuming you care), rain has made a mess of the Women's Championship. Stroke play was dropped to 54-holes and today's match play round was halted due to rain this morning and early afternoon with play resuming about an hour ago. Right now,

Texas (1) is up on Auburn (8) 4-1 with play through the 9th hole complete.
Wake Forest (5) is up on Arkansas (4) 3-0-2 with play through the 8th hole.
Duke (2) and Stanford (7) are tied with 2-2-1 through 11th
USC (3) and Arizona (6) is also tied 2-2-1 through 12th hole with one match complete in USC's favor.

Semi's and Finals are both slated for tomorrow.

Individual medalist was Maria Fassi of Arkansas who, if you watched it, was the runner up to Jennifer Kupcho (WFU) in the Augusta National Women's Amateur that took place right before the Master's on Augusta National.
I’ve heard this “all 5 scores count” thing a couple of times on this board. That’s not the case. The stroke play is and has always been “5 count 4”. Which means all 5 players play each round and you count your lowest 4 scores. Now when it gets to match play you are correct. All 5 players play individual matches and they all count. It’s the same as it’s always been since the NCAA moved to match play.

I do appreciate the rundown of the upcoming week. Will be rooting hard for the Pokes to be Back to Back National Champs!

Aug 16, 2012
I’ve heard this “all 5 scores count” thing a couple of times on this board. That’s not the case. The stroke play is and has always been “5 count 4”. Which means all 5 players play each round and you count your lowest 4 scores. Now when it gets to match play you are correct. All 5 players play individual matches and they all count. It’s the same as it’s always been since the NCAA moved to match play.

I do appreciate the rundown of the upcoming week. Will be rooting hard for the Pokes to be Back to Back National Champs!
Sorry, but that is not correct. In October, the NCAA changed the format so during stroke play, all five player's scores will now be counted to the team's aggregate total for the 72 holes. They applied it only to the Championship Tournament. It is the traditional "Play 5 and Count 4" format during the Regionals.

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/team-playoff-format-modified-men-s-golf

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2012
Women's Update:
(8) Auburn defeats (1) Texas 3-2
(5) Wake defeats (4) Arkansas 3-2

And on the other side of the bracket:
(2) Duke defeats (7) Stanford 3-2 (one match went 24 holes!!)
(6) Arizona defeats (3) USC 3-2

OSUCowboy787

Territorial Marshal
Dec 31, 2008
Keller, Texas
Sorry, but that is not correct. In October, the NCAA changed the format so during stroke play, all five player's scores will now be counted to the team's aggregate total for the 72 holes. They applied it only to the Championship Tournament. It is the traditional "Play 5 and Count 4" format during the Regionals.

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/team-playoff-format-modified-men-s-golf
I would think that with our level of talent that Play 5 count 5 would actually help us out a lot more.

Aug 16, 2012
Counting a 5th player is going to be a real wild card for all teams, including us. I do think we are deeper than most, but still any player can have a bad day.
Substitution is permitted as well. If a kid is struggling, rules permit a replacement now.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
Yeah I'm pretty confident that we have the deepest team in the country, so counting the 5th should benefit us.

The big wildcard will be how all of this rain is going to affect the course and how our team is prepared for that.

pokes16

Territorial Marshal
Oct 16, 2003
Tulsa
Substitution is permitted as well. If a kid is struggling, rules permit a replacement now.
I know its not like this, but I can see a kid struggling on the first couple of holes and shanking one into the woods. The coach calmly walks to the kid pats him on the butt and points to the driving range and brings in a reliever mid round! Us the ol' BP golf cart deal to drive him over!

Jun 18, 2011
So I could be wrong here, as everything I’ve seen on this rule seems to be very poorly worded, but my understanding of the rule change is that it will not apply to the actual tournament stroke play that takes place, but will only be applied in the case of a tie between teams at the end of the stroke play, in an effort to resolve multiple team ties quicker. So during the actual stroke play it will still only count the top 4 scores, but in the case of a sudden death tie to decide which team would take the final spot in the top 15/top 8, they will have each player on the team play one hole count all 5 scores, as opposed to just the best 4 scores of the 5. Now I could also be way wrong, but just my understanding of a somewhat confusing rule.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/golfwe...hampionship-substitutions-expanded-again/amp/

Aug 16, 2012
So I could be wrong here, as everything I’ve seen on this rule seems to be very poorly worded, but my understanding of the rule change is that it will not apply to the actual tournament stroke play that takes place, but will only be applied in the case of a tie between teams at the end of the stroke play, in an effort to resolve multiple team ties quicker. So during the actual stroke play it will still only count the top 4 scores, but in the case of a sudden death tie to decide which team would take the final spot in the top 15/top 8, they will have each player on the team play one hole count all 5 scores, as opposed to just the best 4 scores of the 5. Now I could also be way wrong, but just my understanding of a somewhat confusing rule.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/golfwe...hampionship-substitutions-expanded-again/amp/
I completely agree that it is worded poorly, but looking at the NCAA link I provided, I think the ambiguity lies in the term "playoff". I think the NCAA wording is using "playoff" in lieu of "stroke play" since the stroke play portion of the event is essentially a playoff to get to match play. The NCAA site does not have the same language about applying the rule only in certain conditions, but it seems pretty clear to me that it says it will be used to make the cut from 30 down to 15 and then again down to 8.

To confuse the matter even more, the ladies used "5 and count 4", but the link above clearly states the change is to Men's Golf, not the ladies.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2012
I do not get it. The day before the practice rounds and NCAA still does not have the men's pairings announced. This is really weird for them to not announce less than 24 hours before hitting the course.

So, in the interim....the ladies' update:

Semi-finals
(2) Duke defeated (6) Arizona 3-2
(5) Wake Forest defeated (8) Auburn 4-0-1 including last year's titleist Jennifer Kupcho winning 6&4 and a teammate winning 7&5.

Currently in the finals, Wake is up 2-0-3 but 2-up is their biggest margin and they are already past the turn.

Oct 22, 2008
Austin, Tx
I think you’re incorrect. Reading this: The approved change states that, starting in 2019, an aggregate playoff counting scores of all five players on each of the competing teams will be used for extra-holes sessions needed to narrow the field from 30 to 15 and from 15 to eight. These playoffs will be conducted in a shotgun format, with the teams competing on five different holes simultaneously.

That seems pretty clear they are only talking about breaking ties at the cut and top 8.

Feb 25, 2018
North Texas
I think you’re incorrect. Reading this: The approved change states that, starting in 2019, an aggregate playoff counting scores of all five players on each of the competing teams will be used for extra-holes sessions needed to narrow the field from 30 to 15 and from 15 to eight. These playoffs will be conducted in a shotgun format, with the teams competing on five different holes simultaneously.

That seems pretty clear they are only talking about breaking ties at the cut and top 8.
You explained it before I could AustinOSU. It’s only for a playoff for teams to go from 30 to 15 teams (after 54 holes) and to go from 15 to 8 teams (after 72 holes) to determine the 8 teams for match play. I agree the wording from the NCAA is the reason for the confusion. No matter what we can all agree “Go Pokes!”

Aug 16, 2012

I do not know anymore. The NCAA news release does not say anything about extra hole sessions like the GolfWeek article does. Guess there is the possibility the NCAA release is over-simplified as the other article uses terms that are not in the NCAA description. It is rule 21.2 but I cannot find the exact wording of this rule anywhere. We will find out soon enough whichever way it is.

Feb 25, 2018
North Texas
I do not know anymore. The NCAA news release does not say anything about extra hole sessions like the GolfWeek article does. Guess there is the possibility the NCAA release is over-simplified as the other article uses terms that are not in the NCAA description. It is rule 21.2 but I cannot find the exact wording of this rule anywhere. We will find out soon enough whichever way it is.
By the way OSUInTx, I appreciate you bringing it to our attention. I follow college golf really closely and I hadn’t heard anything about this rule change. Whatever it is. If your original point comes true I’ll be the first to say I’m sorry. Wouldn’t be the first time the NCAA came up with something ridiculous! Lol.

Aug 16, 2012
Apology would not be necessary, either way, they need to fire whomever publishes their press releases. It is probably the same guy who is responsible for publishing the men's pairings. Practice round is less than 9 hours away and pairings are still not posted on NCAA site or GolfStat.

To wrap up the ladies, Duke beat Wake Forest 3-2 for the National Championship with three matches going extra holes and Kupcho, last year's titleist losing her extra hole match