News flash!

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
Started a thread about how good OU looked, and how good they will be next year.

Turned into a Gundy bashing festival. Says a lot about our fans and their obsessions.
It actually says a lot more about you, since you refuse to acknowledge the real problems that many of our fans see. Burying your head in the sand won't make them go away.

jetman

Federal Marshal
Nov 27, 2004
Edmond Oklahoma

Turned into a Gundy bashing festival. Says a lot about our fans and their obsessions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Because everyone who watched that game last night was reminded that Riley is shooting for the highest levels of college football. Anyone who watched our games and follows our recruiting is reminded that Gundy is shooting for 9 win seasons and a who cares bowl.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
A good portion of my life has been spent wondering if OSU will ever win more than 2-3 games a season. It wasn't fun. At all. I am extremely happy that success has been found with OSU football. I think far too many OSU fans have become bored with success, so they bestow unrealistic expectations for OSU football. It takes everything I have to not slap OSU fans who harbor such expectations, for they are ungrateful, to say the least. They're buffoons for doing so, especially the fire Gundy fools who publicly display their ignorance for the whole world to see on this forum.

I love OSU's success. I enjoy it immensely. And when I hear buffoons saying Gundy needs to leave, it makes my blood pressure boil.
I also have lived through the difficult seasons, the embarrassing times, and the two big sanctions of the modern era.

If we wish to run a "good enough" program as you are happy with I can live with that, but they need to cut coaching salaries, they need to cut ticket prices and get back to a more Saturday social gathering with reasonable concession prices and exit allowed after entry all built around a football game. I have no problem with that concept and I rather enjoyed those days.

If we are going to try and be a football school then be a football school. Demand the higher level of performance, expect to win, and hold coaches accountable. This in between stuff is dividing our fan base.

Paying Gundy a top 15 salary to lose games that they should not lose and to never compete with the instate conference power is not acceptable at his pay grade if we are trying to be a football school. Either build the program or don't.

The administration, boosters and regents just need to make a decision. I'm an orange lifer either way, just make a decision.
In between stuff? Either build a program or not? Just make a decision?

Just where is the source of money to pay off Gundy, hire better coaches that would take the job, and attract meaningfully better recruits, all for a 55k fan base that struggles to keep up with funding at mid-pack level in the conference? Without the real risk of going backwards. How much you in for?

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO

Because everyone who watched that game last night was reminded that Riley is shooting for the highest levels of college football. Anyone who watched our games and follows our recruiting is reminded that Gundy is shooting for 9 win seasons and a who cares bowl.
And what fool believes we will ever compete with OU in recruiting?

There’s a reason why only 3 or 4 teams have any shot at the CFP crown. There’s a reason why there’s only 2 or 3 teams in each conference have a realistic shot at their conference championship.

Fans, money, recruits.

We’re pretty maxed out at 60k fans.
We’re pretty maxed out at mid-pack B12 finances.
We’re pretty maxed out at around 30th in national recruiting.
IMO, a new coach ain’t gonna change any of that except perhaps to make it worse.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO

It actually says a lot more about you, since you refuse to acknowledge the real problems that many of our fans see. Burying your head in the sand won't make them go away.
No, it actually just says I thought OU looked good last night and will be next year.

Again, you can’t help with your obsessions.

Aug 19, 2006
OU is an elite football program but they basically played UF's JV team last night. Disappointing because I thought this was one of the best bowl matchups this year. Between opt-outs and COVID, Florida was missing most of their big guns. And the biggest gun was misfiring all night. The game was over by the end of Q1.

jetman

Federal Marshal
Nov 27, 2004
Edmond Oklahoma
So in other words...this is just the way things are and we need to accept it as so and not expect anything more. This is what people have become tired of. Every season is just been there done that with no real payoff.

Nov 14, 2010
So....if Gundy were paid on commission

$500,000 for a winning record
$500,000 to make a bowl
$3 million if he beats OU
$3 million If he makes the Big 12 Championship game
$5 million if he makes the playoffs

Would the OU game still have looked like it did?

Would we have beaten them more often?

Would we have been in the Big 12 Championship game by now?

Would we have averaged finishing 4th in Conference since 2014

Would Gundy have hired unkonown/unproven Offensive Coordinators with his paycheck on the line?

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
So in other words...this is just the way things are and we need to accept it as so and not expect anything more. This is what people have become tired of. Every season is just been there done that with no real payoff.
I never said accept. We should always strive to be better. But just firing a very successful coach with no associated plan doesn’t seem to address all the improvements necessary to get meaningfully better. Applying the “fire Gundy” mentality to the other 130 odd D1 programs would result in 110-120 coaches being fired every 3 years.

Nov 14, 2010
What Andy is aaying, and he is correct, is, that you can't have that mentality towards OSU football, but then charge the amount of money we do for tickets,concessions etc too.

If thats truly the case then make tickets $25 and lets all have a Saturday afternoon picnic that centers around a football game

You can't have the approach that this is just what OSU Football is, so deal with it, then turn around and want to charge the kind of prices they charge.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2010
I never said accept. We should always strive to be better. But just firing a very successful coach with no associated plan doesn’t seem to address all the improvements necessary to get meaningfully better. Applying the “fire Gundy” mentality to the other 130 odd D1 programs would result in 110-120 coaches being fired every 3 years.

Again... several of us have said this several times

Not neccessarily fire

You're making it too black and white to fit your narrative.

Force him to make the changes he needs to make.

Or...make them for him or....if he doesn't like that, then, at that point, find someone else that will.
Like in recruiting etc...

The off the field stuff with Chuba and hisbrelationship or lack thereof with the players in his program.

THe virtual silence from past Gundy players in his defense, the Thurman Thomas's comments, the OU game, his comments etc....on and on and on all need to be addressed and changed.

Rodarius Williiams just called out our coaches publicly by saying that we have all these weapons and we don't use them.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
So....if Gundy were paid on commission

$500,000 for a winning record
$500,000 to make a bowl
$3 million if he beats OU
$3 million If he makes the Big 12 Championship game
$5 million if he makes the playoffs

Would the OU game still have looked like it did?

Would we have beaten them more often?

Would we have been in the Big 12 Championship game by now?

Would we have averaged finishing 4th in Conference since 2014

Would Gundy have hired unkonown/unproven Offensive Coordinators with his paycheck on the line?
If aTm, Tenn, Nebraska, Michigan, Florida State, Florida, Penn State, Miami, Texas, Stanford, UCLA all approached their Head Coaching compensation similarly would it have made a difference? Heck, all those schools recruit Top 20 classes every year and can’t get it done.

I guess it’s come down to suggesting the ludicrous.

TheMonkey

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
I also have lived through the difficult seasons, the embarrassing times, and the two big sanctions of the modern era.

If we wish to run a "good enough" program as you are happy with I can live with that, but they need to cut coaching salaries, they need to cut ticket prices and get back to a more Saturday social gathering with reasonable concession prices and exit allowed after entry all built around a football game. I have no problem with that concept and I rather enjoyed those days.

If we are going to try and be a football school then be a football school. Demand the higher level of performance, expect to win, and hold coaches accountable. This in between stuff is dividing our fan base.

Paying Gundy a top 15 salary to lose games that they should not lose and to never compete with the instate conference power is not acceptable at his pay grade if we are trying to be a football school. Either build the program or don't.

The administration, boosters and regents just need to make a decision. I'm an orange lifer either way, just make a decision.
Fair enough. Other programs have to have done this. Let’s emulate them. I don’t know the answer, so tell me who is paying less for their coach and charging less to fans - but getting better results on the field?

jetman

Federal Marshal
Nov 27, 2004
Edmond Oklahoma

Well, I'm not in the fire Gundy camp. Never have been. I'm in the "if he leaves, he leaves" camp.

Nov 14, 2010
If aTm, Tenn, Nebraska, Michigan, Florida State, Florida, Penn State, Miami, Texas, Stanford, UCLA all approached their Head Coaching compensation similarly would it have made a difference? Heck, all those schools recruit Top 20 classes every year and can’t get it done.

I guess it’s come down to suggesting the ludicrous.

What you'd have is a group of very capable institutions, OSU included, all trying to constantly make adjustments to break through.

Meanwhile.... the schools that are already there wont have those same adjustments to make.

That, in and of itself, will help level the playing field.

Those schools do that now, buy, by incentivising coaches pay based on the above metrics, you're adding much more motivation to the coaches to get outside their box to break through.

The reason why, many times, the team that is losing at halftime makes all the adjustments is because they have to.

What they'd done so far wasn't working well enough so they had to figure out something else.

At the same time the team that is winning just wants to keep doing what they've already been doing.

Can you imagine a coach at OSU coming in at half of a game that we're losing and telling the kids
"Hey.... no need to make adjustments, it just is what it is and we're just not good enough to win this game"

That coach may be 100% correct, but he's also 100% going to lose his kids.

Not because they're going to lose, but because their coach just gave up on them.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater
OU has a chance to return 21 of the 22 starters I saw. It's hard to argue that they won't have a shot at the whole thing next season. Firing Mike Stoops was the worst thing for other Big 12 schools, it's crazy what Grinch has done in 2 years. I'm sorry to not drink the koolaid but does anyone see us placing in the top 3 next season? ou is going to win it again and I think Texas has their QB, ISU should be solid again, and Baylor is going to have some potential. I just don't see us being a big threat next year
I think we can be top 3 in the Big 12 but I think it’s unlikely we keep pace with OU in games outside of Bedlam, and then we all know we’re going to get stomped in Bedlam. All it takes is Gundy getting back to beating Texas and we can be top 3.