No students, no sports

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
You've got states talking about putting ankle trackers on people that test positive.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
That obviously will not happen. The ankle monitor and app to track those with covid-19 ideas were made when everyone thought many more people were going to die than the number that sadly did die. Even if a state passed a bill requiring ankle/app monitor, supreme Court would obviously conclude that such a bill is unconstitutional.
I don't care when it was. The fact they even suggested it is very alarming. They wanted (some states still do in ways) to treat them like criminals. And it wasn't a bill/law. They were ordering them in preparation of judges using them. More of that executive order crap.

Jostate

Bluecolla's sock
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
That obviously will not happen. The ankle monitor and app to track those with covid-19 ideas were made when everyone thought many more people were going to die than the number that sadly did die. Even if a state passed a bill requiring ankle/app monitor, supreme Court would obviously conclude that such a bill is unconstitutional.
I agree, but it might take 3 years before the Supreme Court heard the case.

Nov 16, 2013
tractor
I don't care when it was. The fact they even suggested it is very alarming. They wanted (some states still do in ways) to treat them like criminals. And it wasn't a bill/law. They were ordering them in preparation of judges using them. More of that executive order crap.

Like the NSA isn't already tracking everyone who has taken the test by Google, Facebook and Amazon algorithm on your cell phone

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Interesting scenario to watch.

https://sports.yahoo.com/san-diego-...ms-plan-for-onlineonly-classes-202713821.html

Last month, Thompson said that the Mountain West “won’t have college athletics” unless campuses are “in full mode with dormitories and housing and all of the other facilities open.” With classes at CSU branches like SDSU being almost exclusively online in the fall, how can football operate as usual?

John David Wicker, SDSU’s athletic director, told the Associated Press that the school is planning a “hybrid approach” to classes, with some students on campus and others taking classes online. In conjunction with that approach, Wicker said SDSU hopes to have football players back on campus some time after July 7, which is when the second summer session begins.
From the AP:

Wicker said SDSU had been planning for a hybrid model, no matter what, and feels that CSU Chancellor Timothy White’s announcement was misconstrued by some people who thought fall sports would be canceled.

“We’re going to have students on campus,” Wicker said.

Feb 15, 2017
Texas

https://sports.yahoo.com/san-diego-...ms-plan-for-onlineonly-classes-202713821.html

Last month, Thompson said that the Mountain West “won’t have college athletics” unless campuses are “in full mode with dormitories and housing and all of the other facilities open.” With classes at CSU branches like SDSU being almost exclusively online in the fall, how can football operate as usual?

John David Wicker, SDSU’s athletic director, told the Associated Press that the school is planning a “hybrid approach” to classes, with some students on campus and others taking classes online. In conjunction with that approach, Wicker said SDSU hopes to have football players back on campus some time after July 7, which is when the second summer session begins.
From the AP:
Wicker said SDSU had been planning for a hybrid model, no matter what, and feels that CSU Chancellor Timothy White’s announcement was misconstrued by some people who thought fall sports would be canceled.​
“We’re going to have students on campus,” Wicker said.​
You can't mention sports, this is now a political thread . . . moderator please ban this guy for posting sports in this political thread . . . that used to be a sports thread . . .. ?

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC

From the AP:

Wicker said SDSU had been planning for a hybrid model, no matter what, and feels that CSU Chancellor Timothy White’s announcement was misconstrued by some people who thought fall sports would be canceled.

“We’re going to have students on campus,” Wicker said.
This will likely be the norm. Any school that doesn't plan to have students on campus in the fall is going to get financially crushed, even state schools. My understanding is enrollment is down at basically every school that hasn't announced in person classes or some attempt at it and every school I've heard reporting on says they saw a jump in deposits for the fall with some schools seeing record enrollment. Going online only for a lot of schools will mean laying off a ton of people, killing a local economy, and perhaps never recovering if your competitors capture your overflow. Some schools will take that risk, while most are going to do everything possible to avoid it.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
This will likely be the norm. Any school that doesn't plan to have students on campus in the fall is going to get financially crushed, even state schools. My understanding is enrollment is down at basically every school that hasn't announced in person classes or some attempt at it and every school I've heard reporting on says they saw a jump in deposits for the fall with some schools seeing record enrollment. Going online only for a lot of schools will mean laying off a ton of people, killing a local economy, and perhaps never recovering if your competitors capture your overflow. Some schools will take that risk, while most are going to do everything possible to avoid it.
Part of my interest in this is that they're treating different state schools differently in CA. This situation treats Fresno State & San Diego State differently & more restrictively than UCLA & Cal, yet they're all state schools. How this doesn't wind up a legal fight is anyone's guess.

In a state where the health commissioner is talking about at least partial lockdowns through the end of summer, & the Governor has gone from no sports any time soon, to 'hey, I think we'll have sports by June' in a 2 week span, I'd say it seems pretty silly to have offered up this edict for only a handful of schools this far in advance. If I'm Fresno or SDSU, I'm definitely raising hell over this.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
Part of my interest in this is that they're treating different state schools differently in CA. This situation treats Fresno State & San Diego State differently & more restrictively than UCLA & Cal, yet they're all state schools. How this doesn't wind up a legal fight is anyone's guess.

In a state where the health commissioner is talking about at least partial lockdowns through the end of summer, & the Governor has gone from no sports any time soon, to 'hey, I think we'll have sports by June' in a 2 week span, I'd say it seems pretty silly to have offered up this edict for only a handful of schools this far in advance. If I'm Fresno or SDSU, I'm definitely raising hell over this.
The devil will be in the details on this. All campuses will have to make some accommodation for students who don't want to or can't take in person classes, which will massively expand online learning. At the same time, even the system president acknowledged some students will have to be on campus. The question for each campus is going to be how many of the students are allowed to be here and how much do they have to push students online.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Ave how about the announcement by the University of South Carolina..

The University of South Carolina has canceled fall break and will end in-person classes early

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/18/us/s...-university-of-south-carolina-trnd/index.html

This is pretty much the same thing Notre Dame announced earlier. Fall semester starting earlier so it can end earlier.
I don't think South Carolina is talking about starting early. They want the remainder of the fall semester after fall break to be online.

Last edited: