Official Game Thread: Oklahoma State vs. Oklahoma

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 8, 2014
The back 40
a ton of coaches had and have "Boones resources" and more...in our conference both Texas and OU have more and have had more for 50 plus years. 1/2 the teams in the SEC have more. It's a fallacy to say that any other coach would have done better when coaches here just haven't...JJ was 0-5 against ou and lost in 1980 63-14...PJ was 0-10-1 with two hall of famers at the same time in his backfield and got shut out in 1993 31-0. We were able to gain some traction in the 90's under Simmons and Miles, mostly due to ou having really bad years, but Miles beat them a few times when they were good and that earned him a ticket to LSU...where he won a title...but is now washed up and at basement dweller KU. Point being, no coach in our history has been great vs ou and most have been measurably bad...just like HCMG.
I get it..we’re no Iowa State or Texas Tech or TCU or Kansas State...you know, teams who occasionally beat ou and play them competitive.

We should be happy we are in the big 12–or better yet we should drop to conference USA where we can more easily make a mid-tier bowl every year. How could I EVER think we could breathe the rarified air of the Sooners? Iowa state or k-state? Of course they can dream to walk in that company, but Oklahoma state? Why, we should be HONORED just to be allowed to be in their great company

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
A lot of programs do as much or more without the huge budgets. Even if not sustained, they make noise, big noise, from time to time. Can count Gundy-led OSU teams that do this on one hand...and still have the fingers left over to count them again.
I hate to defend Gundy today when he was totally out coached...but what do you consider making noise from time to time? He's made more positive "noise" but far for our program than any other coach...just sucks vs ou...has had better records vs every other team we play than any other coach in our history. Most people think Mike Leach, Matt Campbell, Bill Snyder, and Gary Patterson are all great coaches...yet Gundy has winning records against ALL of them. What sucks is the college football higharchy...this is something EVERYONE has issues with at all programs except for the blue bloods who have all sorts of advantages despite the scholarship limit that has only slightly helped...other things need to be done to restrict huge advantages that programs like ou and Texas enjoy if we honestly want an even playing field. Things like capping salaries, limiting numbers of prime recruits to each school and equal distribution of money won by conference teams...none of that will happen so we will march along as a lessor program because that is how the powerful programs who make the money want it. We have had some amazing years under Gundy...but we just can't seem to get over the Bedlam hump...unfortunately I don't see us getting there unless the conference allows it and makes rules to enable it for us and the other teams not Texas or ou in our conference.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
If I wasn’t so bummmmed, this thread would be galacticly funny. Most of you deserve Gundy. That is a coach you hate
What do you believe needs to happen in order for this program to move forward and go beyond where we've been in the past? What do you believe needs to change?
Don’t know, I’m not that smart. I just see many programs with more history and resources than OSU that spin their wheels year after year and never get meaningfully better. (Mich, Neb, aTm, UT, PSU, Miami, Tenn, USC, FSU, etc..) We’ll probably finish 8-2 which will be no worse than 1 game behind the eventual champion. If you get rid of a very successful coach chasing improvement, history says you probably won’t get it. I wish there was a way to get better I could count on. Just not willing risk what we have for unlikely lasting improvement.

Yeah, I know. There will be many if not most that would gladly ditch Gundy even knowing there’s probably a small chance we’d get meaningfully better. They’ll say something like - nothing ventured, nothing gained. That is until we turn into a Nebraska.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
Not much they can do. Just don't have the same history as some of the other programs and definitely not the money as some. (Texas)
A lot of programs do as much or more without the huge budgets. Even if not sustained, they make noise, big noise, from time to time. Can count Gundy-led OSU teams that do this on one hand...and still have the fingers left over to count them again.
Name 3

I can’t think of one.

kenny41

Territorial Marshal
Aug 28, 2006
OKC/Tulsa
If we were a smarter program we would’ve ran with the covid rumors and canceled this game.

We need to arrange this game to be played at the first of the season to get this annual loss out of the way and quit wasting the fans’ time and expectations. Or better yet, leave this conference behind along with this yearly ass kicking. OSU will not ever be sustainably competitive in this series. Cutting losses will be best for everyone.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
If we were a smarter program we would’ve ran with the covid rumors and canceled this game.

We need to arrange this game to be played at the first of the season to get this annual loss out of the way and quit wasting the fans’ time and expectations. Or better yet, leave this conference behind along with this yearly ass kicking. OSU will not ever be sustainably competitive in this series. Cutting losses will be best for everyone.
Kenny, I hate that i agree with this...but I do.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
You know full well that the politics of this season are centered on BLM. You brought up the politics, and called them "stupid." I fundamentally disagreed with your premise, and never called you racist. The other guy said I was all but calling you racist. So, I called him that out of the irony of it. If you do think that my problem with your phrasing is calling you racist. You legit have reflection to do. My soul is good. I know on which side of history I stand. Have a good night.
Lol, so is mine man...so is mine...I also stand on the winning side of His Story. I honesty hope you do as well. God Bless.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
If so, can’t blame him. He’s worked hard and developed very well and should go get paid. Nothing more to gain since all the teams goals are now out of sight.

Go make some money if you can...at the end of the season. He's been great this year.

Oct 6, 2007
Piedmont, OK
Gundy has been great for OSU...I’d be fine if they build him a statue. But also, it may just be time for a change. We are no longer innovative or ahead of the curve on offense, which is what carried us for so many years. Gundy develops players very well but has given up on going after the top recruits. He does more with less than about anymore. But at some point as an organization there has to be a change if u become stagnant. I know OU beats most everyone, but most everyone is not their arch rival...2-14 is just not ok. I would love to see us bring in someone with a lot of energy and belief that it can be done...who comes to the new hire press conference and steps to the podium and says we have to beat OU, that’s the priority. We may never have another coach as good as Gundy but at some point we have to see if someone can take to another level and also beat OU every once and a while.
There is just no way they consider us their arch rival. That is a one way street in Stillwater.

Oct 30, 2007
Don’t know, I’m not that smart. I just see many programs with more history and resources than OSU that spin their wheels year after year and never get meaningfully better. (Mich, Neb, aTm, UT, PSU, Miami, Tenn, USC, FSU, etc..) We’ll probably finish 8-2 which will be no worse than 1 game behind the eventual champion. If you get rid of a very successful coach chasing improvement, history says you probably won’t get it. I wish there was a way to get better I could count on. Just not willing risk what we have for unlikely lasting improvement.

Yeah, I know. There will be many if not most that would gladly ditch Gundy even knowing there’s probably a small chance we’d get meaningfully better. They’ll say something like - nothing ventured, nothing gained. That is until we turn into a Nebraska.
A wise person once told me that you're always moving forward or falling behind, you're never standing still. For the first half of Coach Gundy's career, we were steadily moving forward. This culminated in 2011 where we were a few plays short of the national championship game. Since that point, we've been slowly falling behind. Our coaching staff & roster aren't as talented as they were back then. We've traded talent for consistency. That's provided success, but it's put a lower ceiling over the program.

I'm not calling for Coach Gundy's head. He's proven himself to be a quality coach. But I recognize that something has to change to shift the overall momentum of the program. We can't rest on our laurels if we ever want to go beyond where we've already been.

Status
Not open for further replies.