Official Game Thread: Oklahoma State vs. Texas Tech

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
I think Bob Stoops’ rekick was an evil plot to ensure Gundy stayed for another 10-15 years. We finish that season with a losing record - Gundy is gone, but he wins Bedlam and everyone loves him again. The rest is painful history
"painful history" = 42-17 including 4-1 in Bowl games is our record since that game (43-17 if you include it).

Give me "painful history" for the next decade please.

Last edited:

StillwaterMan

Beers and loud noises
A/V Subscriber
Jan 5, 2010
Wheres the food at?
I said earlier, he is more interested in proving points than scoring them. He wants to prove we can run, he wants to prove his gameplan will work. He does not adapt. He will have a play that nets 15 yards and will never run it again. I would like to see him take off his headset for one game and let his OC do his job. If not, fire the OC and hire a ST coach because as long has the OC is under Gundy's thumb, nothing will change.
Gundy wants to run because he doesn't want the QB airing it out 60 times a game at this point in his career. Would you care to guess why?

What adaption would you have made today?

NotOnTV

BRB -- Taking an okie leak
Sep 14, 2010
Gondor
The Mason Rudolph years are "painful history?" wow...
Btw, the truth is...no one was firing him then or now...he's going to have to not even make bowls for a few years in a row to get close to that...even then it will be painful if it goes it ever goes that far.
With all due respect, Baylor looks like they are (undeservedly) rebounding and found a suitable replacement for the rape-meister himself. Why are such a huge number of fans so fearful of a life without Gundy? And to replace a coach at our school wouldn't even involve recovering from a horrific scandal (knock wood).

Posse85

Greenhorn
Sep 24, 2017
Stillwater
Gundy would be gone when ticket sales fall. If Hubbard and Wallace leave I could see a drop in next year sales. Knowing Holder and Weiberg, it has a better chance of happening under Holder. Chad may be a great administrator, but he appears in public to be more of a follower than a leader.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
With all due respect, Baylor looks like they are (undeservedly) rebounding and found a suitable replacement for the rape-meister himself. Why are such a huge number of fans so fearful of a life without Gundy? And to replace a coach at our school wouldn't even involve recovering from a horrific scandal (knock wood).
I guess because Stillwater isn't within 2 hours of 17 to 20 million people like Waco is and they also matched or exceed our football faculties and more recently...and because Gundy's actually been the most successful coach in our history over the long haul...it's not a hard concept to understand why so many think he would be hard to replace...we know the history of our program and acknowledge that Stillwater is a fairly hard place in which to bring in great athletes. Despite this, Gundy has been our most productive and successful coach in our modern history...and it's not really close. Vocal anti-coach Gundy fans come on this board after every loss and shout how they think we should replace Gundy...my point is that those fans are homers (and they call me one ironically) and don't see who we are over the long haul, and have a glorified opinion of our facilities, town, and overall offering to athletes. While all are good and nice, they aren't heads and shoulders above others especially after everyone else in the conference caught up with us = recently. I'm just pretty sure it's not as easy a sell as the "replace Gundy" folks think that it is to bring kids here. In fact, I'm nearly sure that we would NOT improve over a period of time with another coach. I think it's more than a 75% or even 80% chance that we would lose in the trade.

Btw, Snyder at kSU was 64.7% , Gundy at OSU is 67.6%

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2008
"painful history" = 42-17 including 4-1 in Bowl games is our record since that game (43-17 if you include it).

Give me "painful history" for the next decade please.
Lots of wins and consistent loses to the teams OSU needs to beat to be relevant. Gundy will have OSU primed for the Camping World Bowl against middle to bottom tier SEC teams, Virginia Techs, whoever we played last year I’ve honestly forgot. I’m sorry I would just hope the fan base wanted more than 4th in the b12 to be an exciting give me this all day long season...

Nov 14, 2010
Gundy wants to run because he doesn't want the QB airing it out 60 times a game at this point in his career. Would you care to guess why?

What adaption would you have made today?
Adjust the offense to what Sanders can do and has always done

Which is....
Single read three prong concepts
Such as....
Ride an outside zone, read the overhang player amd if he drives on the run, throw a pop to our 6'8" Cowboy Back

Or.....run scat where you swing a back and read a linebacker. If the linebacker covers the back out you throw to the hitch. If the linebacker stays home, throw th me swing pass

Or.... Stick draw reading the linebacker
Linebacker takes stick, qb draws

There are all sorts of single read 3 prong comcepts we should be rumning with Sanders.

They are all concepts he grew up rumning and they are the same comcepts that almost every other team with a dual threat qb is rumning.

Instead....
Sanders is being forced to whatever this offense is that Gundy likes so much

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2009
Gundy is responsible for everything that happens in the program, but a loss doesn't mean it's completely his fault or part of some series of events. Sometimes it's just simply playing poorly and not executing. It's Gundys job to determine what caused it and make the changes necessary.

Why in the world you think Gundy was trying to prove a point is beyond me. In the first half we got sacked 5 times, had 9 tackles for loss and turned it over 3 times. Which point was he making that caused that??

This game is pretty simple. If you can't block the guys in front of you, you aren't going to have much success passing it or running it.

You do realize that calling plays is more than talking into a headset, right? Of all coaches, we should know what it looks like when Gundy is calling plays because he did it for years. He doesn't even have the plays in front of him, and half the time he's pacing back and forth not even looking at the field. I'm sure he provides input into what he thinks is working well and what he wants to do in pressure situations, but find a coach that isn't doing that, please.

Maybe Gleason isn't as good as Monken, Holgerson or Fedora? He's in his first year at this level, so I think that's certainly true at this time, maybe overall - not sure. That is on Gundy if that is what's costing us games, but I also see 11 guys on the field at any given time that have to execute and that didn't happen today.
I agree with a lot of what you said. But holy crap our defense was atrocious today. We couldn’t stop anything. They either had guys wide open or they were catching it with OSU guys all around them. They made our defense look stupid.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
Adjust the offense to what Sanders can do and has always sone

Which is....
Single read three prong concepts
Such as....
Ride an outside zone, read the overhang player amd if he drives on the run, throw a pop to our 6'8" Cowboy Back

Or.....run scat where you swing a back and read a linebacker. If the linebacker covers the back out you throw to the hitch. If the linebacker stays home, throw th me swing pass

Or.... Stick draw reading the linebacker
Linebacker takes stick, qb draws

There are all sorts of single read 3 prong comcepts we should be rumning with Sanders.

They are all concepts he grew up rumning and they are the same comcepts that almost every other team with a dual threat qb is rumning.

Instead....
Sanders is being forced to whatever this offense is that Gundy likes so much
Seriously, what is our identity on offense since Monken left? I can't figure out what to call it except the Daxx Garman offense. It's unchanged since Gundy took over when he started hiring puppets.

Jan 1, 2008
I guess because Stillwater isn't within 2 hours of 17 to 20 million people like Waco is and they also matched or exceed our football faculties and more recently...and because Gundy's actually been the most successful coach in our history over the long haul...it's not a hard concept to understand way so many think he would be hard to replace...we know the history of our program and acknowledge that Stillwater is a fairly hard place in which to bring in great athletes. Despite this, Gundy has been our most productive and successful coach in our modern history...and it's not really close. Vocal anti-coach Gundy fans come on this board after every loss and shout how they think we should replace Gundy...my point is that those fans are homers (and they call me one ironically) and don't see who we are over the long haul, and have a glorified opinion of our facilities, town, and overall offering to athletes. While all are good and nice, they aren't heads and shoulders above others especially after everyone else in the conference caught up with us = recently. I'm just pretty sure it's not as easy a sell as the "replace Gundy" folks think that it is to bring kids here. In fact, I'm nearly sure that we would NOT improve over a period of time with another coach. I think it's more than a 75% or even 80% chance that we would lose in the trade.

Btw, Snyder at kSU was 64.7% , Gundy at OSU is 67.6%
You wrote a lot here but it’s not hard to be successful coach when compared against history if your history is losing. So now OSU wins a little goes to some mid-level bowl games and everyone is happy? Because OSU sucked in the 70s and 80s?

why can’t it be in 2011 OSU won a conference championship and BCS game, was the reason college football put a playoff system in place and competed for conference championships (losing of course the next couple years. Now less than a decade later OSU is looking like a consistent 4 or 5th best in the conference consistently losing games it should win. And if it shouldn’t win those games (see today for example) why in Gods green earth are we paying a football coach 5 freaking million dollars for these results.

but yes, games like today, and Baylor last year and TCU the year before are a ok because we sucked in the 70s

Aug 3, 2006
Its simple. Our qb was awful, our d was awful, and our coaches were awful. Those are all gigantic in a vacuum but combined it is literally insane. We saw our peak peak bad today.