OSU Coaching changes thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
This seems like a silly question, but do we know what style of offense coach Dunn wants to run? I only know his about him as a position coach. Just curious if we have any insight about his offensive philosophies, and if they are different from what we've been running the last few years.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
This seems like a silly question, but do we know what style of offense coach Dunn wants to run? I only know his about him as a position coach. Just curious if we have any insight about his offensive philosophies, and if they are different from what we've been running the last few years.
He strikes me as the type of guy who'd like to score points. Lots of 'em!

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
He strikes me as the type of guy who'd like to score points. Lots of 'em!
He strikes me as an intelligent, detail oriented, pragmatic, and aggressive guy. Doesn't mean he's guaranteed to succeed at an entirely new job, but he appears to have a good foundation.

I'm just curious about Dunn the OC.
What are his philosophies?
What are his base formations?
How much will he demand from the players?
How will he interact with Gundy on gamedays?
How will he adjust in games?
Will he be creative?
Will he take risks?
Will he utilize the cowboy backs in the passing game?
Will he utilize the middle of the field at all in the passing game?
Can he improve our red zone scoring %?

So many questions! But I'm excited to see what he can do.

Poke4Christ

Federal Marshal
Aug 2, 2005
Edmond, OK
Very happy for Monken. I think it was just the timing that didn't work out for bringing him in here. I still think there might be something to the theory that he would have been the HC in waiting, but Gundy probably isn't quite ready to ride off into the sunset yet so they didn't make it happen this year.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2010
Gundy was in a tough spot but was in a win/win situation
Hire Monken but lose Dunn and not get Rattay
or....
Hire Dunn as OC and keep him, get Rattay but lose Monken

OSU was in great shape either way.

Cro

we need some celery and a can of fake snow
A/V Subscriber
Apr 6, 2010
Edmond
Gundy was in a tough spot but was in a win/win situation
Hire Monken but lose Dunn and not get Rattay
or....
Hire Dunn as OC and keep him, get Rattay but lose Monken

OSU was in great shape either way.
we have no idea what kind of shape we are in. we don't know anything about Dunn's playcalling abilities

Nov 14, 2010
we have no idea what kind of shape we are in. we don't know anything about Dunn's playcalling abilities
Okay....let me preface that then by adding....in my opinion

In my opinion, Kasey Dunn is a fanstastic football coach for the very reasons that will make him a fantastic Offensive Coordinator starting with his attention to detail etc..

I think Marcus Arroyo is an outstanding football coach and he saw those qualities enough in Dunn to offer him after working with him, I think Dunn is more than qualified to do a great job at OC here at OSU.

And....since he was willing to leave that meant that he had leverage enough to demand complete autonomy of the offense when returning.

He will not be a puppet to Gundy. If Gundy has influence on the offense, it will be because Dunn truly thinks the input is beneficial, and not just simply that he's taking orders.

i also think Tim Rattay was a great hire and will be a fantastic coach for Spencer Sanders and Shane Illingsworth to tutor underneath.

Rattay finished his career with the NCAA Division I-A record for average passing yards per game, 386.2, and total offensive yards, 12,643.

And....Gundy just hired his Wide Receivers coach as OC.

Our passing game is going to be really good, and I think Dickey is a great offensive line coach for the run game, so that combination I think is going to bring the dynamics back to this offense.

I can't wait to see what Rattay can do for Spencer Sanders.

Last edited:

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
The more I've thought about this, the more I like that, for a change, our QB coach is not the OC. It lets him focus 100% on the QBs. Sanders showed flashes of brilliance last year but also had some issues... very correctable issues IMO. Let's see what Rattay can do with him, without the stress of game planning. We also have the new kid coming in.

As for Dunn, he should know our offense front and back...I'm cautiously optimistic. But I was cautiously optimistic about the last guy too. Glad he's getting the shot so I'll wait and see.

Poke4Christ

Federal Marshal
Aug 2, 2005
Edmond, OK
The more I've thought about this, the more I like that, for a change, our QB coach is not the OC. It lets him focus 100% on the QBs. Sanders showed flashes of brilliance last year but also had some issues... very correctable issues IMO. Let's see what Rattay can do with him, without the stress of game planning. We also have the new kid coming in.

As for Dunn, he should know our offense front and back...I'm cautiously optimistic. But I was cautiously optimistic about the last guy too. Glad he's getting the shot so I'll wait and see.
I'm more optimistic about OC than I have been since Monken was in the position in 2012.