OSU Men's Basketball banned from postseason for 2020-21

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

jetman

Federal Marshal
Nov 27, 2004
Edmond Oklahoma
Man, I logged on and had a ton of alerts. I was like, dang I must have had a ton of posts that people liked. Nope, just a bunch of red X's from the various Craig haneys. He even red x'd some of my posts on the Corona virus thread. Troll level= master we are dealing with.

Oct 30, 2007
Other programs are already trying to poach our players. Coach Boynton said that Ice has already been contacted by 20 schools. This coaching staff is going to have to fight hard to keep this roster together.

https://247sports.com/college/oklah...-postseason-ban-NCAA-Lamont-Evans--147983968/
“I’ve had conversations with everybody on my team and all their families. We haven’t had anybody jump off the ship at this point, as I sit here Monday. Not saying that won’t happen. At the end of the day, I’m going to do what’s best for them. I’m going to support them in whatever decision they decide to make. The unfortunate part is what we’ve done in building relationships with these guys has been so authentic that I think they all feel like they want to rally together and do this. But we’ll see. It’ll take some time. But yeah, they’ve all been contacted and they’ve all had people reach out to them and say, ‘Hey, you don’t have to deal with that over there. Come over here and have the same opportunity, play on a good team. It’s concerning but it’s not surprising.”

Jun 5, 2020
OKC
This link describing process from another attorney not involved in our issue but purportedly in other issues. Granted, I have not mined this article for truth but, this does not sound good for us.

Link:
https://www.startribune.com/ncaa-hits-oklahoma-st-with-postseason-ban-in-corruption-case/571050512/

“It goes back to everybody would like reasonable rules enforcement and appropriate process and reasonable penalties,” said Stu Brown, an Atlanta-based attorney who has worked with schools on compliance issues.

“And really what we’re arguing about or (what) these schools are thinking: the investigation and charging process has now become overhyped and unaccountable. And the penalty process now has insufficient flexibility to allow for schools that ... are cooperative and want to take responsibility, so they shouldn’t be punished quite as hard. That’s the problem.”

An appeal would put the penalties challenged by Oklahoma State on hold. While it's unclear exactly how long that would take, the process would generally require 6-8 months based on typical NCAA filing and hearing deadlines.

jetman

Federal Marshal
Nov 27, 2004
Edmond Oklahoma
This link describing process from another attorney not involved in our issue but purportedly in other issues. Granted, I have not mined this article for truth but, this does not sound good for us.

Link:
https://www.startribune.com/ncaa-hits-oklahoma-st-with-postseason-ban-in-corruption-case/571050512/

“It goes back to everybody would like reasonable rules enforcement and appropriate process and reasonable penalties,” said Stu Brown, an Atlanta-based attorney who has worked with schools on compliance issues.

“And really what we’re arguing about or (what) these schools are thinking: the investigation and charging process has now become overhyped and unaccountable. And the penalty process now has insufficient flexibility to allow for schools that ... are cooperative and want to take responsibility, so they shouldn’t be punished quite as hard. That’s the problem.”

An appeal would put the penalties challenged by Oklahoma State on hold. While it's unclear exactly how long that would take, the process would generally require 6-8 months based on typical NCAA filing and hearing deadlines.
Of course it would. Didn't they drag their feet on the Dez Bryant thing. This is going to be just enough time to get Cunningham to decommit. This is a roundabout way of punishing OSU for hiring Cade's brother and getting his commitment. Don't think for a moment that it isn't part of all this. They'll make sure to drag their feet. Book it.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
So I got like 25 :no: haneys...lol, that has to be some sort of record for such a short period of time...he's persistent I'll give him that...not sure why...but :popcorn:

Feb 4, 2016
florida
Other programs are already trying to poach our players. Coach Boynton said that Ice has already been contacted by 20 schools. This coaching staff is going to have to fight hard to keep this roster together.

https://247sports.com/college/oklah...-postseason-ban-NCAA-Lamont-Evans--147983968/
“I’ve had conversations with everybody on my team and all their families. We haven’t had anybody jump off the ship at this point, as I sit here Monday. Not saying that won’t happen. At the end of the day, I’m going to do what’s best for them. I’m going to support them in whatever decision they decide to make. The unfortunate part is what we’ve done in building relationships with these guys has been so authentic that I think they all feel like they want to rally together and do this. But we’ll see. It’ll take some time. But yeah, they’ve all been contacted and they’ve all had people reach out to them and say, ‘Hey, you don’t have to deal with that over there. Come over here and have the same opportunity, play on a good team. It’s concerning but it’s not surprising.”
I thought a player had to be in the portal before being contacted by other teams. Am I wrong in assuming this?

Oct 30, 2007
I thought a player had to be in the portal before being contacted by other teams. Am I wrong in assuming this?
http://www.ncaa.org/student-athletes/current/transfer-terms
If you are enrolled full time in a four-year school, athletics staff members from an NCAA school cannot contact you or your parents unless they first have a letter from your current athletics director (or athletics administrator designated by the athletics director). If your current school does not grant you written permission-to-contact, the new school cannot encourage you to transfer and — in Divisions I and II — cannot give you an athletics scholarship until you have attended the new school for one academic year.

It appears that's the case under normal circumstances. The rules could be different for a school entering NCAA restrictions though. It's also possible that these programs are reaching out unofficially through intermediaries. I've heard that teams reach out through players & AAU coaches all the time to gauge someone's interest in transferring.

Feb 15, 2017
Texas

Link:

Must be a new thing "insufficient flexibility" in applying a penalty. The NCAA is notorious for applying wildly different penalties for similar infractions. That is about our only hope in an appeal. We can't provide new information, we can't take a different approach, we can't dispute that information already presented . . .. bleak outlook.

Well

Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Dec 17, 2009
If there is truly "insufficient flexibility" to overturn the postseason ban, then unfortunately, for a player like Cade, a one and done type player, he should transfer. The 3 and 4 year guys I hope stay. Honestly think the school should sue the NCAA. This is such a travesty of monumental proportions. And as has been said already, if this is the approach of the NCAA, then, Kansas, and the rest the schools should get harsher penalties.
This whole thing is infuriating.

Jun 4, 2007
Broken Arrow, Ok
If there is truly "insufficient flexibility" to overturn the postseason ban, then unfortunately, for a player like Cade, a one and done type player, he should transfer. The 3 and 4 year guys I hope stay. Honestly think the school should sue the NCAA. This is such a travesty of monumental proportions. And as has been said already, if this is the approach of the NCAA, then, Kansas, and the rest the schools should get harsher penalties.
This whole thing is infuriating.
Does anyone know when the other schools are expected to receive their punishment?

Nov 18, 2010
So im reading a lot of people explain that the reason our penalty was so high was because Evans admitted fault (ie. admitted to accepting bribes), and OSU was compliant instead of defiant. And that other schools wont be hit as hard as us because they claim no wrong doing and have been fighting it. Is there any truth to any of this? Would we have been better served to "deny deny deny"?
Dez Bryant "denied" and they ended his college football career because of it.

People are trying to apply logic to these decisions, but the NCAA is simply punishing the school(s) they want to punish and protecting the schools inside the inner circle. They will reverse engineer a reason for it and repeat that 'reason' via their media outlets until everyone accepts it...even though, down deep, everyone knows its wrong.

Historically, whoever has power protects the 'haves' and makes an example of the 'have nots' by punishing them publicly. This continues until the 'have nots' refuse to accept their punishments and organize a mutiny.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Lol, it's college basketball. The cesspool of the recruiting world. I'd say it's safe to assume that there are ample backchannels, just like when the kid is coming out of high school.

I hope Boynton can keep the roster together, but this is a tough hand.